Suzanne Simpson, the disappearing San Antonio realtor (UT alum)

chainsaw

36 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, a husband with a disappeared wife should probably not talk to the popo, regardless of the facts.  He's gonna be an obvious suspect and the stories of cops wrongly focusing an investigation on an obvious suspect are too numerous to ignore.

So what would you recommend a husband who actually has nothing to do with his wife's disappearnce do?  "Oh well, I can't report it, they might think I'm guilty."

• Drool 1

42 minutes ago, HouTex said:

say I'm playing golf with friends and I'm texting my wife about dinner that night and that she'll go to the store to get stuff to cook, then our security cam shows her leaving the house, but she never returns home, her phone is off and she's nowhere to be found when I get home 3 hours later, I'm reaching out to friends to see if they know anything and I'm calling the police and telling them everything I know.  

This is some Menendez-level alibi planning dude

• Hook 'Em 1

Question- the police can take your phone, right? With a subpoena, even if you don’t surrender it voluntarily? Given the damn apps I have noting my (well, the phone’s) location all the time, shouldn’t that pretty well establish whereabouts? What are they going to get from you in an interrogation that they can’t get 90% of from a modern person’s phone? (Besides a false confession)? (I saw a Dallas based Dateline/48 Hours/whatever where the wife of the victim texted the killer just before the murder. Did she think the police wouldn’t see that?)

I guess it could depend on the situation. If your spouse were missing but possibly alive, wouldn’t you consider handing a detective the phone and saying, “wire me up to a polygraph so you can get on with the real investigation. Ten minutes in, I’m pulling the wire off and asking for an attorney”. 

Edited by statsman

On 10/17/2024 at 3:43 AM, Gatorubet said:

I assume if they can’t find the body that there is enough serious circumstantial evidence to get a shot at a conviction anyway.   I found a Ricky Allen Nissbet case from an appellate circuit that allowed a homicide conviction without a body based primarily on circumstantial evidence, but I did not see that it got overturned.  It would be great for the family to have the body for closure, but it seems like they can maybe send them away for a long damn time even if they don’t find her

One of the "good" things was that her DNA and clothing was found on one of the shredders that pretty much mulched the trash. There was other evidence found in the trash truck too. Just a shitty thing for the family to know mom was thrown away like refuse. Her husband was convicted thankfully but doesn't bring her back. 

Anywho, let's stomp Georgia (I know this isn't the football thread but I don't want to be maudlin) 

I watched the YouTube video up thread about not talking to the police.  If my wife disappeared and I didnt do it, then Im at least giving them a timeline of what and where Ive been (with supporting facts, receipts, who i was with etc..).  Despite the usual line of questions like " how was your marriage" (well duh its great but we've been married for 25 years and its not perfect), I feel pretty certain my alibi and the facts wont hurt me.  I could be naive , but if you are innocent, the facts are the easiest thing to remember.  Where were you , who were you with, that's cake to answer.  I always have the right to remain silent if they start leading down a path of trying to put words in my mouth.  The initial act of cooperation and the obvious signs of concern I believe will be seen as being in my favor.  JMO.

Now, if you didnt kill her AND you have a suspect character, background, were doing nefarious shit, then yeah lawyer up...but guys like Scott Peterson, the cop from IL years back that killed 2 wives, and any of a dozen Dateline husbands should have heeded the dont talk advice.

53 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Really, only an affluent white guy could be doing ok with a fiduciary financial felony conviction in today's America.

But in his defense, wasn't he robbing the bank to pay for all the losses he got from being a bookie?  This shows initiative and willingness to pay his debts.  Plus, as a ZBT, you know he's good with money... (Ducks).

2 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

But in his defense, wasn't he robbing the bank to pay for all the losses he got from being a bookie?  This shows initiative and willingness to pay his debts.  Plus, as a ZBT, you know he's good with money... (Ducks).

Right, but in that instance didn’t he rob his own bank, and the teller recognized him since he’d been there several times before?

13 minutes ago, statsman said:

Question- the police can take your phone, right? With a subpoena, even if you don’t surrender it voluntarily? Given the damn apps I have noting my (well, the phone’s) location all the time, shouldn’t that pretty well establish whereabouts? What are they going to get from you in an interrogation that they can’t get 90% of from a modern person’s phone? (Besides a false confession)? (I saw a Dallas based Dateline/48 Hours/whatever where the wife of the victim texted the killer just before the murder. Did she think the police wouldn’t see that?)

I guess it could depend on the situation. If your spouse were missing but possibly alive, wouldn’t you consider handing a detective the phone and saying, “wire me up to a polygraph so you can get on with the real investigation. Ten minutes in, I’m pulling the wire off and asking for an attorney”. 

The lawyers will certainly chime in but its situational dependent. We do it all the time for missing persons, your local dispatch can ping cell phones without a warrant if it can be verbalized that it needs to be done ASAP. It's actually pretty easy to do and there are different phases as to how accurate it is. But pretty quickly you can get within 50 to 200 feet of the phone. But that's really it, it's only the geo location of the phone. 

Now going back to lock at pinged location history usually requires a warrant. And those are signed pretty quickly because its easy to get and a good investigative tool if you have a good GIS team that can plot the locations.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

But in his defense, wasn't he robbing the bank to pay for all the losses he got from being a bookie?  This shows initiative and willingness to pay his debts.

3 minutes ago, Baconboy said:

Right, but in that instance didn’t he rob his own bank, and the teller recognized him since he’d been there several times before?

yes, you are both correct.

9 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Who are we talking about?

13 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

I watched the YouTube video up thread about not talking to the police.  If my wife disappeared and I didnt do it, then Im at least giving them a timeline of what and where Ive been (with supporting facts, receipts, who i was with etc..).  Despite the usual line of questions like " how was your marriage" (well duh its great but we've been married for 25 years and its not perfect), I feel pretty certain my alibi and the facts wont hurt me.  I could be naive , but if you are innocent, the facts are the easiest thing to remember.  Where were you , who were you with, that's cake to answer.  I always have the right to remain silent if they start leading down a path of trying to put words in my mouth.  The initial act of cooperation and the obvious signs of concern I believe will be seen as being in my favor.  JMO.

Now, if you didnt kill her AND you have a suspect character, background, were doing nefarious shit, then yeah lawyer up...but guys like Scott Peterson, the cop from IL years back that killed 2 wives, and any of a dozen Dateline husbands should have heeded the dont talk advice.

I would submit that, rather than talking to the police or submitting to interrogation, you provide that material to an attorney, who can in turn argue that to the authorities to deter prosecution.

There's almost nothing that the cops can't/won't misconstrue, mischaracterize, or flat-out lie about if they think it's standing in the way of conviction.  The rules are such that if an attorney or someone not you makes that argument or statements, other than the documentary evidence itself, the statements/arguments are inadmissible hearsay.  If you, as the defendant make them, they are admissible.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, statsman said:

Even if they take the phone, there is the possibility that the murder could have been committed by one of those freakish people who are able to roam the earth while the phone sits at home.

• Drool 1

15 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Get an attorney by your side ASAP

I'm not sure why this seems counterintuitive for most in this discussion...perhaps the worrying about the court of public opinion and tabloids??  As @SquishMitten and @TwiceHorn have explained........Your best avenue for cooperation is through your attorney.

If I stumble through an answer or appear evasive to one of the cops, it can derail their entire investigation and put the microscope on me.  If I'm innocent, hell especially if I am innocent, then I am most helpful and useful speaking to the police and cooperating in their investigation via an experienced criminal attorney.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, statsman said:

Yes, they can absolutely take your phone.  BUT....can they get into it?  That's the question.

A court cannot order you to give up your passcode -- that's in your head, and it would violate your rights to be forced to disclose what is in your brain.  HOWEVER, they don't need a warrant or order at all to press your thumb onto it, or point it at your face for facial recognition to open it.  Biometrics are not protected by the 5th amendment.

Which is why I have NEVER enabled biometric access on any of my devices (all of which contain at least a portal to attorney-client privileged info -- my email, etc.).  If the cops seize it, then they seize it.  And yes, passwords can be cracked, the FBI does it sometimes, but it's not a guarantee.  And the delay gives me a chance to tell my IT department to lock down my email (not destroy or delete, but prevent ALL access).  I have long recommended to people NOT to enable biometric access to your devices.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Which is why I have NEVER enabled biometric access on any of my devices (all of which contain at least a portal to attorney-client privileged info -- my email, etc.).  If the cops seize it, then they seize it.  And yes, passwords can be cracked, the FBI does it sometimes, but it's not a guarantee.  And the delay gives me a chance to tell my IT department to lock down my email (not destroy or delete, but prevent ALL access).  I have long recommended to people NOT to enable biometric access to your devices.

FYI - If you do have biometric/Face ID access enabled on an iPhone, you can hold down the power button along with one of the volume buttons together for a few seconds. This will require your passcode to unlock. So if you ever get pulled over by a cop or know you are getting interviewed by the police, you should do this.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

25 minutes ago, smokebomb said:

FYI - If you do have biometric/Face ID access enabled on an iPhone, you can hold down the power button along with one of the volume buttons together for a few seconds. This will require your passcode to unlock. So if you ever get pulled over by a cop or know you are getting interviewed by the police, you should do this.  

Can also set your iPhone up so that smashing the power button 5 times also does this as well FYI

Edited by Evil Bill Obrien
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes, they can absolutely take your phone.  BUT....can they get into it?  That's the question.

A court cannot order you to give up your passcode -- that's in your head, and it would violate your rights to be forced to disclose what is in your brain.  HOWEVER, they don't need a warrant or order at all to press your thumb onto it, or point it at your face for facial recognition to open it.  Biometrics are not protected by the 5th amendment.

Yes, but my bank won't complete the wire transfer to the hitman without my thumb print.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

6 hours ago, HouTex said:

I agree with the usual advice to never cooperate with the police--especially if you are either, in fact, guilty, or if there is some (even a little) circumstantial evidence pointing to your guilt, as in this case.  But say I'm playing golf with friends and I'm texting my wife about dinner that night and that she'll go to the store to get stuff to cook, then our security cam shows her leaving the house, but she never returns home, her phone is off and she's nowhere to be found when I get home 3 hours later, I'm reaching out to friends to see if they know anything and I'm calling the police and telling them everything I know.  

You just told the whole story in a few sentences. The police have enough to perform a perfunctory search. Like see if her phone is on a network. I suppose the police could start searching more thoroughly but in reality they are going to start building a case against you. They will start asking her friends about her troubled marriage and how afraid your wife is of you.

the police know it’s more likely the husband murdered the wife as opposed to the wife being kidnapped/murdered by someone else. And if she just ran off on her own, the police have zero business in the situation. They don’t care about that scenario.

5 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

As far as i know , yeah he seems to have come out the other end aok. Owns a gym and takes people on hikes all over the country, kind of became a Zen master or some such.  Coincidentally to the OP, believe he is in San Antonio.  With a felony on his record, im sure his financial capabilities and other limitations that come with that will be somewhat limited, but at least he is a contributing member of society.  He would be appx 50 by now and not sure how long he did time for.

He was definitely from San Antonio. My family and his go back a good ways, too. 

I find it completely unsurprising that I know all of these motherfuckers. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, statsman said:

I would never volunteer for a poly, are you kidding me? That is designed to get you to admit shit on your own, not to rule you out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I would never volunteer for a poly, are you kidding me? That is designed to get you to admit shit on your own, not to rule you out. 

It's also pseudo science bullshit.  I mean while you are at it, consult the psychic hotline or a palm reader, because at that point, why the fuck not?  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Lookit brisket, doin crimes!

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

also, and I can't stress this enough: POLYGRAPHS ARE BULLSHIT. They are PSUEDOSCIENCE. They DON'T WORK. They are not admissible evidence in texas. They literally do not detect lies, they detect relative heartrate from a baseline. They are not in any way lie detector tests, they are NOT real. Never, ever, ever, EVER take a polygraph test, the entire test is interpretation based. It's some dude saying "Hmmmm his heart just beat faster when he said that, MUST BE LYING." NEVER take one. EVER.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

also, and I can't stress this enough: POLYGRAPHS ARE BULLSHIT. They are PSUEDOSCIENCE. They DON'T WORK. They are not admissible evidence in texas. They literally do not detect lies, they detect relative heartrate from a baseline. They are not in any way lie detector tests, they are NOT real. Never, ever, ever, EVER take a polygraph test, the entire test is interpretation based. It's some dude saying "Hmmmm his heart just beat faster when he said that, MUST BE LYING." NEVER take one. EVER.

short true story. In college, I worked at the ABC liquor store part time. I finally had a date with this girl, but my manager called me, begging me to come in because reasons, but he would give me double time if I did, as he was so desperate.   I told my date I would get the double time and go on an even nicer dinner when I got  paid.  I did not get my double-time. When I asked him, my boss said “I’m not giving that to you. I don’t care what I said.”

I figured out how much he owed me and took a bottle of bourbon as close to that sum and did not it pay for it. About a week later (I’m sure unrelated to that one bottle), they asked everyone to do voice stress analysis tests to see who is stealing from the store.    They asked me several questions like “did you ever take anything that didn’t belong to you?” As i absolutely felt I was not stealing, I said “no” confidently. 

I passed.  They fired two other guys. That is the thing about polygraphs - sociopath who feel no guilt pass those things easily. Or people who feel they have a legitimate reason for doing what they did. It’s only us normal guilty people who start to sweat and act differently because they know they did something wrong that it MAY catch. Even that is dicey. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gatorubet said:

short true story. In college, I worked at the ABC liquor store part time. I finally had a date with this girl, but my manager called me, begging me to come in because reasons, but he would give me double time if I did, as he was so desperate.   I told my date I would get the double time and go on an even nicer dinner when I got  paid.  I did not get my double-time. When I asked him, my boss said “I’m not giving that to you. I don’t care what I said.”

I figured out how much he owed me and took a bottle of bourbon as close to that sum and did not it pay for it. About a week later (I’m sure unrelated to that one bottle), they asked everyone to do voice stress analysis tests to see who is stealing from the store.    They asked me several questions like “did you ever take anything that didn’t belong to you?” As i absolutely felt I was not stealing, I said “no” confidently. 

I passed.  They fired two other guys. That is the thing about polygraphs - sociopath who feel no guilt pass those things easily. Or people who feel they have a legitimate reason for doing what they did. It’s only us normal guilty people who start to sweat and act differently because they know they did something wrong that it MAY catch. Even that is dicey. 

The opposite can be true as well. If you, for example, are medically diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, you'll basically automatically fail a polygraph test every time. It's less an indicator of guilt, and more an indicator of stress. Which, depending on the situation, can be caused by tons of things. Like, I'm pretty sure any husband's stress would skyrocket when being bombarded with questions that remind him that his wife is missing and/or dead.

It's really wild that the idea that polygraphs are legit persists. I hate it when it comes up in movies and tv shows. I don't blame people for not knowing, I blame media for keeping it around. It's so, so hard to find any movie or tv show which calls them out on their bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

you better have a good lawyer with you

7 hours ago, smokebomb said:

At my house we call that "turning off the phone."

2 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Think you might be making the wrong assumption about which group you fall into, Smoove.

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

On 10/17/2024 at 12:13 PM, Samson's Wig said:

Fucking you without consent?  It sounds like they may be Pikes, too.  I smell a conspiracy. 

Nah, two of my sons are Pike and considering I have spent more on that fraternity than Tiger Sanitation, I would expect better service if that was the case.

• Hook 'Em 1

Back during my time keeping Law and Order as a Natl Guard MP, a sergeant told me polygraphs were good for getting confessions out of people you already had a good idea they did it. Make of that what you will. I mostly did relabeled Cav Scout stuff taken over by the MPs, which was fine because that was my original specialty. The one Law & Order incident where I played a part in the interviews, both parties blabbered away.

2 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

That is the thing about polygraphs - sociopath who feel no guilt pass those things easily. Or people who feel they have a legitimate reason for doing what they did. It’s only us normal guilty people who start to sweat and act differently because they know they did something wrong that it MAY catch. Even that is dicey. 

George Costanza Seinfeld GIF

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

I failed a lie detector test when applying for a job in high school. Issue was over drugs and I didn't do them but the lie detector test said otherwise. I got the job anyway, but it did teach me a lesson. I have a decent amount of anxiety and I am pretty sure I was worried because of having my nose numbed to drain my sinuses. Now, I probably have taken them but I don't remember when but I bet it would come up as a lie with whichever answer I would give. And if pain meds or meds for anesthesia were included, or if I thought about them...

Edited by Bevo