Suzanne Simpson, the disappearing San Antonio realtor (UT alum)

chainsaw

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

I failed a lie detector test when applying for a job in high school. Issue was over drugs and I didn't do them but the lie detector test said otherwise. I got the job anyway, but it did teach me a lesson. I have a decent amount of anxiety and I am pretty sure I was worried because of having my nose numbed to drain my sinuses. Now, I probably have taken them but I don't remember when but I bet it would come up as a lie with whichever answer I would give. And if pain meds or meds for anesthesia were included, or if I thought about them...

I feel the same way about field sobriety tests.  Haven't dealt with one yet, but that will be a hard no for this guy. I'm so awkward that I couldn't pass one if I was sober as a judge (I know!) in broad daylight.  Add in the stress of being pulled over by the side of the road at night when you likely have had a couple of drinks but are probably fine.  Flashing police car lights and oncoming car traffic lights.  No thanks.  I'll take my odds on a blood test and try to come across as coherent and good humored on the police body cams.  It worked for Jeff Ward.  Not so great for Augie.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

I watched the YouTube video up thread about not talking to the police.  If my wife disappeared and I didnt do it, then Im at least giving them a timeline of what and where Ive been (with supporting facts, receipts, who i was with etc..).  Despite the usual line of questions like " how was your marriage" (well duh its great but we've been married for 25 years and its not perfect), I feel pretty certain my alibi and the facts wont hurt me.  I could be naive , but if you are innocent, the facts are the easiest thing to remember.  Where were you , who were you with, that's cake to answer.  I always have the right to remain silent if they start leading down a path of trying to put words in my mouth.  The initial act of cooperation and the obvious signs of concern I believe will be seen as being in my favor.  JMO.

feels game of thrones GIF

My God man, you must be as white as the driven snow

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 1

11 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

short true story. In college, I worked at the ABC liquor store part time. I finally had a date with this girl, but my manager called me, begging me to come in because reasons, but he would give me double time if I did, as he was so desperate.   I told my date I would get the double time and go on an even nicer dinner when I got  paid.  I did not get my double-time. When I asked him, my boss said “I’m not giving that to you. I don’t care what I said.”

I figured out how much he owed me and took a bottle of bourbon as close to that sum and did not it pay for it. About a week later (I’m sure unrelated to that one bottle), they asked everyone to do voice stress analysis tests to see who is stealing from the store.    They asked me several questions like “did you ever take anything that didn’t belong to you?” As i absolutely felt I was not stealing, I said “no” confidently. 

I passed.  They fired two other guys. That is the thing about polygraphs - sociopath who feel no guilt pass those things easily. Or people who feel they have a legitimate reason for doing what they did. It’s only us normal guilty people who start to sweat and act differently because they know they did something wrong that it MAY catch. Even that is dicey. 

He shorted you on your pay AND leveraged a polygraph?

LOLz.  That had to be a great culture in that building.

As for this thread,  if I killed my wife, I imagine I wouldn't care about getting caught at that point.

18 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I would never volunteer for a poly, are you kidding me? That is designed to get you to admit shit on your own, not to rule you out. 

The only time I volunteered for a poly was interviewing for an intel analyst position at a 3 letter agency right out of college.   I was on it for 8+ hours.  I’ve never been more mentally and physically exhausted in my life 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I feel the same way about field sobriety tests.  Haven't dealt with one yet, but that will be a hard no for this guy. I'm so awkward that I couldn't pass one if I was sober as a judge (I know!) in broad daylight.  Add in the stress of being pulled over by the side of the road at night when you likely have had a couple of drinks but are probably fine.  Flashing police car lights and oncoming car traffic lights.  No thanks.  I'll take my odds on a blood test and try to come across as coherent and good humored on the police body cams.  It worked for Jeff Ward.  Not so great for Augie.

Uber is a lot less stressful and cheaper than fighting a DWI. Remember you can beat the rap, but you can’t beat the ride.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, Bevo said:

I failed a lie detector test when applying for a job in high school. Issue was over drugs and I didn't do them but the lie detector test said otherwise. I got the job anyway, but it did teach me a lesson. I have a decent amount of anxiety and I am pretty sure I was worried because of having my nose numbed to drain my sinuses. Now, I probably have taken them but I don't remember when but I bet it would come up as a lie with whichever answer I would give. And if pain meds or meds for anesthesia were included, or if I thought about them...

when you have to lie, think about the virgin mary

when you’re telling the truth, think about marylin monroe 

fail proof !

On 10/18/2024 at 7:28 AM, Helobious said:

They officially ended the landfill search yesterday and found absolutely nothing. They were really grasping at straws on that one to begin with. Beau is right, he couldn’t have been that stupid. But the investigators of this case sure are. 

Well you’re the sme for stupidity. But does that mean we should trust your insight?  It’s a quandary. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

The only time I volunteered for a poly was interviewing for an intel analyst position at a 3 letter agency right out of college.   I was on it for 8+ hours.  I’ve never been more mentally and physically exhausted in my life 

A buddy of mine was in the CIA. He had multiple assignments that he could not tell me about. He did, however, say that he was in the polygraph division for about 3 years. He said that most people in that department burn out after about 18 months.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

A buddy of mine was in the CIA. He had multiple assignments that he could not tell me about. He did, however, say that he was in the polygraph division for about 3 years. He said that most people in that department burn out after about 18 months.

Why? Seems like a pretty easy gig just lying to nervous people... 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/14/2024 at 9:35 AM, statsman said:

They get to, with a warrant, take his cellphone and dig into his digital life, right?

How good is the GPS info from a new vehicle? Can they establish where all it went, and when?

How close is the technology to questioning an Amazon Alexa to replay conversations?

On 10/18/2024 at 12:34 PM, statsman said:

Question- the police can take your phone, right? With a subpoena, even if you don’t surrender it voluntarily? Given the damn apps I have noting my (well, the phone’s) location all the time, shouldn’t that pretty well establish whereabouts? What are they going to get from you in an interrogation that they can’t get 90% of from a modern person’s phone? (Besides a false confession)? (I saw a Dallas based Dateline/48 Hours/whatever where the wife of the victim texted the killer just before the murder. Did she think the police wouldn’t see that?)

I guess it could depend on the situation. If your spouse were missing but possibly alive, wouldn’t you consider handing a detective the phone and saying, “wire me up to a polygraph so you can get on with the real investigation. Ten minutes in, I’m pulling the wire off and asking for an attorney”. 

LE must get a search warrant to search the phone.

His phone was powered on and connected continuously for months……until it wasn’t, for a few hours, on the evening of October 6.

On 10/18/2024 at 7:48 PM, Gatorubet said:

short true story. In college, I worked at the ABC liquor store part time. I finally had a date with this girl, but my manager called me, begging me to come in because reasons, but he would give me double time if I did, as he was so desperate.   I told my date I would get the double time and go on an even nicer dinner when I got  paid.  I did not get my double-time. When I asked him, my boss said “I’m not giving that to you. I don’t care what I said.”

I figured out how much he owed me and took a bottle of bourbon as close to that sum and did not it pay for it. About a week later (I’m sure unrelated to that one bottle), they asked everyone to do voice stress analysis tests to see who is stealing from the store.    They asked me several questions like “did you ever take anything that didn’t belong to you?” As i absolutely felt I was not stealing, I said “no” confidently. 

I passed.  They fired two other guys. That is the thing about polygraphs - sociopath who feel no guilt pass those things easily. Or people who feel they have a legitimate reason for doing what they did. It’s only us normal guilty people who start to sweat and act differently because they know they did something wrong that it MAY catch. Even that is dicey. 

Used to work at a large multi national corp. Someone from internal security/investigations came in to talk to my group about detecting internal fraud with procurement. She mentioned that with everyone caught stealing, they all confessed justification as they felt wronged somewhere along the way. She spoke about 5-6 figure theft not stealing post-it notes.

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Used to work at a large multi national corp. Someone from internal security/investigations came in to talk to my group about detecting internal fraud with procurement. She mentioned that with everyone caught stealing, they all confessed justification as they felt wronged somewhere along the way. She spoke about 5-6 figure theft not stealing post-it notes.

aa144e27-officespace-20years.jpg

• Haha 4

On 10/18/2024 at 10:42 PM, Bevo said:

Curious, what kind of job is a high school kid applying for that they're paying for polygraphs, especially where they give you back results of where you supposedly lied? I wouldn't think it's the type of thing you get results back from. Had anybody else here had that experience?

Curious, what kind of job is a high school kid applying for that they're paying for polygraphs, especially where they give you back results of where you supposedly lied? I wouldn't think it's the type of thing you get results back from. Had anybody else here had that experience?

Pharmacy jobs came to mind but that’s just a wild guess while I try to distract myself from Saturday’s game.

That is the thing about polygraphs - sociopath who feel no guilt pass those things easily. Or people who feel they have a legitimate reason for doing what they did.

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

It’s only us normal guilty people who start to sweat and act differently because they know they did something wrong that it MAY catch. Even that is dicey. 

Nervous Ted Striker GIF by filmeditor

The two faces of Surly.

8 hours ago, BearMace said:

Houston Jewelry - It was like an upscale Target that also sold guns and jewelry.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  I remember shopping there.

hq720.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEhCK4FEIIDSFryq4qpAx

Not dissimilar to Best, and Service Merchandise.

It was actually a pretty good store. I don't think local companies like that can be price competitive anymore with Walmart and Amazon. There has to be a market though for discount high-end goods. Tuesday Morning used to have some great crystal and high end china but it moved away from those goods and then declared bankruptcy. 

11 minutes ago, Hate said:

The “Best” catalogue was a must have when I was a kid. There was nothing better than going through the toy section and circling the things you liked.

Now it's the Amazon toy catalog.  My daughter circled about half of their admittedly deep offerings.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, BearMace said:

I had the exact same thing happen to me as Bevo. I worked at the Comanche Peak Nuclear Plant between my senior year of high school and freshman year of college. You had to take a polygraph for employment. I had long hair, so the old gruff dude that ran the machine accused me of lying about drug use. At that time, I had never touched any non-prescription drugs in my life. It was all based off of him stereotyping. It wasn't enough to keep me from being hired though. But it sure let me know that the person administering the test can interpret anything they want how they want.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

I had the exact same thing happen to me as Bevo. I worked at the Comanche Peak Nuclear Plant between my senior year of high school and freshman year of college. You had to take a polygraph for employment. I had long hair, so the old gruff dude that ran the machine accused me of lying about drug use. At that time, I had never touched any non-prescription drugs in my life. It was all based off of him stereotyping. It wasn't enough to keep me from being hired though. But it sure let me know that the person administering the test can interpret anything they want how they want.

CHIEF

season 3 sleeping GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

. You had to take a polygraph for employment. I had long hair, so the old gruff dude that ran the machine accused me of lying about drug use. At that time, I had never touched any non-prescription drugs in my life. It was all based off of him stereotyping. 

So...sounds like he was eventually correct. 

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Haha 2