Suzanne Simpson, the disappearing San Antonio realtor (UT alum)

chainsaw

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Early in the evening of July 3rd I started having a severe a-fib attack and was in bad enough shape to start discussing with Mrs. Brat about calling 911. 
A few minutes later before she even picked up her phone, a Wilco deputy knocked on our front door to ask if someone was having a medical emergency. 
He did say our address was on record of having prior medical emergency calls.
Less than 5 minutes later the Sam Bass FD showed up followed closely by the EMS. 
We did not call any of those folks at all.
We do not have an Alexis, nor have we ever used Siri. 
My pacemaker has a Bluetooth, but the monitor was 30’ away in our bedroom.

Obviously, one of our electronic gadgets is eavesdropping and blabbing to somebody or some computer elsewhere without our knowledge.

That was definitely your pacemaker sending out the bat signal. 

24 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

That was definitely your pacemaker sending out the bat signal. 

As someone who sells pacemakers, zero chance it is the culprit.  If it had detected something, it would have sent an alert to AB’s following physician within that timeframe, but they aren’t dispatching the sheriff’s office that quickly.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

As someone who sells pacemakers, zero chance it is the culprit.  If it had detected something, it would have sent an alert to AB’s following physician within that timeframe, but they aren’t dispatching the sheriff’s office that quickly.

Maybe the Feds who are monitoring the gun owners thread here on Surly heard something. 😀

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

I'll take your word for it, and that makes sense.   

My dad's pacemaker alerts his physician's office with irregularities, so I'm familiar with that process.  I assumed in AB's case that it was the physician's office that maybe had an itchy trigger finger in terms of calling in support.   That still seems more plausible to me than a sheriff and EMT showing up based on his phone, or whatever, monitoring his conversation with his wife.   

5 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I'll take your word for it, and that makes sense.   

My dad's pacemaker alerts his physician's office with irregularities, so I'm familiar with that process.  I assumed in AB's case that it was the physician's office that maybe had an itchy trigger finger in terms of calling in support.   That still seems more plausible to me than a sheriff and EMT showing up based on his phone, or whatever, monitoring his conversation with his wife.   

Makes sense in theory, but way easier for the MD’s office to call the patient directly and recommend going to the ER if necessary.  Even then, if they got the phone call within a half hour I would be very impressed with that clinic’ processing time.

This sounds much more Big Brother-y to me.  Maybe an app on the phone that is listening in?  Way too weird of a coincidence.

Edited by SurlyGator
Spelling - how does it work?
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BamaATL said:

You jest, but sadly this is extremely true.  I read a stat a while ago about Native American missing women and presumed murdered and it was shocking.  

This is a major issue in Canada as well. Just terrible, and as down here mostly ignored. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, BamaATL said:

You jest, but sadly this is extremely true.  I read a stat a while ago about Native American missing women and presumed murdered and it was shocking.  

3 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Was the whole premise behind the show Alaska Daily. Only lasted a season with Hilary Swank. 

I wasn't aware of the issue until I watched the series Three Pines. That's where I first heard about the MMIW movement and the empty red dress and red hand symbols. I was curious and pretty damn shocked after learning about it. https://www.nativehope.org/missing-and-murdered-indigenous-women-mmiw

image.jpeg.135d5722e6200148773989af4ecc8d8e.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Helobious said:

The clearance rate nationwide for homicides is something like 50%. In Bexar county (where this occurred) it’s roughly 35% in recent years. It’s very easy to get away with a murder

I want to see complete statistics on number of deal bodies found, % declared a murder. Because I can guarantee law enforcement is doing everything in their power to avoid calling a death a murder so that their clearance rate is as large as possible. Fudging stats is one of the reasons crime rates look better. 

40 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I want to see complete statistics on number of deal bodies found, % declared a murder. Because I can guarantee law enforcement is doing everything in their power to avoid calling a death a murder so that their clearance rate is as large as possible. Fudging stats is one of the reasons crime rates look better. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, C-Man said:

I'm sure it's a hell of lot easier statistically to get away with murder when it's completely random. Not so much if/when it's your spouse.

Without a doubt.  I read a book recently called Ill Be Gone In The Dark written by Patton Oswalt's wife (name escapes me) about the original GSK; went decades before she solved the case(s).  Random killings collar rate is very low.