Texas vs ou - 2:30pm on ABC

Pancho

31 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I don't know if its on Hawkins or his coaching staff, but he plays like if he throws a single interception he will be sent off to Gitmo or something. The dude is not willing to take a single risk passing the ball. Pathetic. OU sucks. 

Haha, yeah.  During the broadcast the announcers emphasized how he had been coached to "just throw the ball away" if he gets in trouble.  Hawkins clearly bought into that lesson.  It was funny how in multiple instnces when a comeback was the only hope they had, he stuck to just throwing the ball away - even on the last drive and last freaking play when you would think they'd, I dunno, be willing to throw the kitchen sink at getting a touchdown on the board.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Iowa Horn said:

Haha, yeah.  During the broadcast the announcers emphasized how he had been coached to "just throw the ball away" if he gets in trouble.  Hawkins clearly bought into that lesson.  It was funny how in multiple instnces when a comeback was the only hope they had, he stuck to just throwing the ball away - even on the last drive and last freaking play when you would think they'd, I dunno, be willing to throw the kitchen sink at getting a touchdown on the board.

He really dudn't have a ton of time to throw.   Our pass rush was pretty effective and we got a ton of pressure with even just a 4 man front.   When we brought extra pressure, he was running for his life.  Because of that, he didn't have time for progressions.   And I'm not sure he's reading the D very well at all.   He's young so that might improve but he seemed kind of bad at that.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Yeah, that was the craziest thing I’ve ever seen. I think they had a TE and OL out too.

After the past few years, I don't give a fuck about anyone talking about injuries or missing players.  We have had more than our fair share and lost more important games due to it.   

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

more SEC ref fuckery in watching the replay.

Helm hold was absolute bullshit.  dude just fell down.

still not calling holding on fucking OU OL until game is well in hand for us.  they even ignored one completely later. Fowler was like "huh? how can you not call that tackle?"

no late hit when Ewers(or any Texas QB) slides.

Hopefully Sark keeps blowing them out so this bullshit ref fixing stuff doesn't matter.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Venables is now 11-10 in conference play. 

That miracle win against Texas did a lot of work for Venables last year because that's about the only thing he has going for him. If he was 0-3 against Texas, he would be a dead man walking. He might already be. 

He has coached in 32 games at OU yet has only had to play 8 ranked teams and only 3 in the top 10, all of them at home or at a neutral site.

2022: #19 Kansas and #23 Oklahoma State at home and won both, #13 FSU in bowl game loss

2023 #3 Texas win, at #22 OSU loss, #15 Arizona in bowl game loss

2024: #6 Tennessee at home non competitive loss, #1 Texas non competitive loss 

This overall record is ballooned by the fact he hasn’t lost a non conference game because their non conference schedule has been garbage all 3 years. He had the easiest schedule in the Big 12 last year and didn’t make the title game.

If you look under the hood even more you see just how bad his tenure has been.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, horn009 said:

I wonder if OU will keep Venables around for another year if they end up with a losing record. 

I think the odds they lose to LSU & Alabama is high

South Carolina, Missouri, & Ole Miss are poverty programs who will likely freeze up, man down and lose to _U even though they probably have better teams.

I do see 7-5 on the wall tho

4 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I think the odds they lose to LSU & Alabama is high

South Carolina, Missouri, & Ole Miss are poverty programs who will likely freeze up, man down and lose to _U even though they probably have better teams.

I do see 7-5 on the wall tho

5 losses is very real for them. I hope they keep Venables forever 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Yeah, Sooner fans should panic.  

The talent disparity on the field yesterday was the widest I've seen in Texas' favor.  The only comparable talent disparity in my lifetime was probably 1987, when OU was ranked #1, and the line for the game was something obscene... like 30 points... and they fucking covered.  Oof.  

The rosters of the two schools have made seismic shifts in the last 30 months or so, and they've been in opposite directions.  OU has a lot less talent than they did under Riley.  We have a lot more talent overall compared to the Herman years.  Herman had a number of NFL players, but also a LOT of JAGs, and we had BIG drop-offs from starter to backup at almost every spot.  

Our roster right now is pretty ridiculous.  I mean, you could take our backup QB and a couple of "backup" WR, and all three would start at most every program in the country.  

The OU offense is Shawn Watson-era bad.  I mean, they don't have a line, they don't have a QB, they don't have skill guys, they don't have a system, they don't know what they fuck they're doing, and they don't have a plan to fix it.   

As others have said:  Venables was a really great DC in an era you could steal signals.  Right now he's totally getting outclassed in every phase of this rivalry game, and it's pretty obvious that he has no fucking idea how to fix it.  Mississippi Fucking State had better players, a better gameplan, and better execution vs Texas than OU did in the game they've been scheming up for 365 days.

And yeah, I'm aware that their entire WR room was out yesterday.  But several of those guys who were out were pretty JAG-ish.  And I'm not sure having them play would have made it worlds better.  What were they going to do with those WR - call MORE drop-back passes and have Hawkins make MORE downfield throws while running for his life?  That translates into more sacks, more incompletions, more possessions thanks to those clock-stopping incompletions.  Very high chances for strip sacks and picks.

They'd probably have been better off yesterday running zone reads or down-the-line option football.  Those couldn't have failed any harder than that little delayed misdirection handoff and a bunch of QB draws.

Yes, I'm gloating.

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Need an air Gunnar silhouette from the last one as the burnt ends logo. 

As a proud member of the fan club, seconded.

Now if I have to listen to his cousin in San Marcos tell me one more time they are related I might kick a sooner. Oh wait, Texas did that to them yesterday. All of them.

8 hours ago, TexasEd said:

It was the jersey they were shooting with Smokey all game

Not complaining but saw the yahoo article on him claiming rent free. I mean, fuck that guy but why exactly were they shooting and stabbing his jersey? Was there some anniversary or tradition I’m not aware of ridiculing a former player? 

24 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Not complaining but saw the yahoo article on him claiming rent free. I mean, fuck that guy but why exactly were they shooting and stabbing his jersey? Was there some anniversary or tradition I’m not aware of ridiculing a former player? 

Because he’s bitch made and never shuts the fuck up. He’s still crying that we didn’t want him. And I think he’s a bigger piece of shit than ever. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Crazy how their linebackers were guessing what we were doing after the 1st quarter. They had no clue what we were doing with our motion and misdirection. He had them on skates.

Also hilarious to realize that Bolden beat out Stubbsman for that fumble recovery tuddy.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2