Texas vs ou - 2:30pm on ABC

Pancho

On 10/14/2024 at 2:18 AM, achooloco said:

Not complaining but saw the yahoo article on him claiming rent free. I mean, fuck that guy but why exactly were they shooting and stabbing his jersey? Was there some anniversary or tradition I’m not aware of ridiculing a former player? 

The Cowboys shoot something Oklahoma branded every year.  Sometimes just a #1 jersey, a flag, sometimes a spirit towel, this year Baker Mayfield.  Don't over think it.

23 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes they're hoping the LBs are keying on the guard and/or tackle and overstep to the pulling direction. It's a pretty stupid play design, though, it's basically admitting you can't compete and hoping to get lucky. 

23 hours ago, crash_davis said:

The problem is they went back to this at least twice and it never worked. Texas D is sound. After the first time I'd be like, OK these fuckers aren't falling for it, throw that play away. But no....

Later in the game, they ran it on another 3rd down play which failed miserably and Herbstreit went into detail about the dumbassery of the design. 

Even Shawn Watson would laugh at that play design.

23 hours ago, crash_davis said:

It think it's by design. They ran it a 2nd time for a short 2 yard gain. This is the 3rd time they ran a similar type play. This is where Herbstreit questions what the fuck the play was supposed to do. This time, there is no lead block. It's the back against 3 defenders. 

The amazing this is that they had to have practiced this play in the 2 weeks leading up to this game. Did the OU defense fall for this shit? BV thought, damn you fooled my D, it's a great 3rd down play?

Maybe the running back just doesn't know right from left.  Needs to hold his hands up to see which one makes an "L" shape.

23 hours ago, HuttNuts said:

To be charitable I just want to point out the Bijan made 6 sooners fall down.  They all got shook out of their jockstraps.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Tatum fucked up.  He was supposed to go left on that play.  Ikard went in to it in detail in their review of the game.  He said Tatum makes more mental mistakes than any player he can remember.

Like I said...

15 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Maybe the running back just doesn't know right from left.  Needs to hold his hands up to see which one makes an "L" shape.

Been listening to Sooner YouTubers. They are more upset about this year's loss than the 49-0 loss, which they blame on the QB injury. This year, they are perplexed about why the offense is so hopeless. To their credit, they don't give themselves a break for the WR injuries and they even cite Texas injuries. They rightly claim that the offense has no identity, and nothing builds on what they just did, and wonder why it seems very unimaginative, and needlessly complex. They also seem to greatly admire Sark's play calling. 

Another theme is that BV better make changes to his staff or it's gonna be bye-bye.  

• Hook 'Em 1

It certainly isn't a given that OU can win another game in the SEC this season.  If they lose the rest of their conference games this year, Venables might be gone.  This is his 3rd year and his offense is hot garbage.  He has completely fucked up their QB situation, and their offense. He is at least is partly responsible for how that has been handled. He might get another year by replacing his OC, but I wouldn't count on it.

I can't see their decision makers being very patient with him.  Good DC but in over his head as HC, imo.

On the other hand, maybe they are dumb enough to let him stay a while.  They're due a down cycle.

• Hook 'Em 1

It certainly isn't a given that OU can win another game in the SEC this season.  If they lose the rest of their conference games this year, Venables might be gone.  This is his 3rd year and his offense is hot garbage.  He has completely fucked up their QB situation, and their offense. He is at least is partly responsible for how that has been handled. He might get another year by replacing his OC, but I wouldn't count on it.
I can't see their decision makers being very patient with him.  Good DC but in over his head as HC, imo.
On the other hand, maybe they are dumb enough to let him stay a while.  They're due a down cycle.

I think they need to give him a big fat extension this offseason. He’s done so much for our program.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 3

2 hours ago, sunset87 said:

OU just gave him a 6 yr, $50 mil extension this summer and OU’s boosters are being hit up hard for NIL funding. I don’t see him getting fired even if they go 5-7 this year. Likely an OC firing and he’ll get at least one more year.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

OU reacted emotionally to being left at the altar by Lincoln Riley. Their HC search was quick and they wanted to find a "real" Sooner to heal their wounded pride. The in-house promotion of Litrell to OC was also short sighted heading into the SEC. 

The mistakes start at the very top. It's gonna take a lot of donor money to fix their mess. Fuck'em.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I would like to see how bad it is once they get a couple of their outside threats back. I personally don't think Hawkins is a QB, other than toughness, he has no elite characterisitcs needed to play the position. Shit, I was most shocked about how he struggled to get the edge against our LBs as I was told he was an elite athlete.

The problem was always going to be hiring Littrell and forcing him to coordinate someone else's offensive scheme. Venables probably thinks the Air Raid and Veer and Shoot are similar but they really aren't. Since they already hired Lebby, they should have hired Kendal Briles away from TCU instead.

Edited by HtownHorn

If we get B+ Quinn we drop 50 easily. So many missed throws. Another ass kicking of the highest order. During the replay last night I got to thinking about how little we hear our corners names getting called out. That’s a good thing. They are locking shit down. 

That’s more on the d line than the secondary.
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 10/13/2024 at 8:49 AM, Frank Drebin said:

Buddy of mine who went to the game sent me this.  Had a family wedding this weekend and couldn’t go.  So watched on TV.  

Where the hell was Stutsman going? Which lineman was he gonna tackle? He ran himself completely out of the play. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, markstanco said:

That’s more on the d line than the secondary.

Exactly.  There was a well designed play by Littrell where they had a guy streaking down the sidelines wide open but Hawkins didn’t have time to process it.  I love that they are killing Littrell when they should be barbecuing Venables for letting the QB situation be this dire again for the second time in 3 years!  I mean holy shit this is Charlie Strong levels of incompetence and even he never got fucking whipped by OU.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Not sure if anyone has discussed this, but on Texas 2nd drive, 3rd and 3 about 10:35 in 1st period,Texas takes a deep shot to Bond.

Announcers (and me) thought QE made a bad throw. On rewatch, Bond slipped on the midfield logo coming out of his cut. 

If that doesn’t happen, Bond gets his hands on the ball (he barely missed it anyways), and possibly catches it on the run. Big change in early momentum and QE’s confidence if that happens.

• Hook 'Em 3

Not sure if anyone has discussed this, but on Texas 2nd drive, 3rd and 3 about 10:35 in 1st period,Texas takes a deep shot to Bond.

Announcers (and me) thought QE made a bad throw. On rewatch, Bond slipped on the midfield logo coming out of his cut. 

If that doesn’t happen, Bond gets his hands on the ball (he barely missed it anyways), and possibly catches it on the run. Big change in early momentum and QE’s confidence if that happens.

Need to rewatch again but I think it was still under thrown.

27 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Need to rewatch again but I think it was still under thrown.

It wasn’t a perfect throw (definitely one of Quinn’s bad mechanics/looked scared of the rush throws), but Bond slipped and then had to dive to try to make the adjustment. It certainly changed the outcome of the play.

Edited by lilMAC25

32 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

It was a really bad throw. Quinn should have thrown it about 10 yards further and more vertical ahead of Bond. Bond slipped because he was trying to adjust and come back to the poorly thrown ball. If Quinn threw it anywhere close to where it should have been, it was an easy touchdown. Quinn had some pressure in his face, but he absolutely should have been able to make that throw. His throwing motion was weird on that one, so I'm going to optimistically chalk that up to the injury/rust. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It was a really bad throw. Quinn should have thrown it about 10 yards further and more vertical ahead of Bond. Bond slipped because he was trying to adjust and come back to the poorly thrown ball. If Quinn threw it anywhere close to where it should have been, it was an easy touchdown. Quinn had some pressure in his face, but he absolutely should have been able to make that throw. His throwing motion was weird on that one, so I'm going to optimistically chalk that up to the injury/rust. 

I’m not saying it was a perfect throw by any means, I’m saying Bond likely makes the catch if he doesn’t slip.

Edited by lilMAC25

1 minute ago, lilMAC25 said:

I’m not saying it was a perfect throw by any means, I’m saying Bond likely makes the catch if he doesn’t slip.

I don't think so. He was always goin to have trouble coming back to that since he was on a vertical route and had to change course entirely. At best it would have been a diving catch. I don't see any way he was going to be able to catch and run on that.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Danimal said:

Does OU have a mini movie out? or are the two notable plays they made too mini for a mini movie? Not even a highlight reel amount of material, right?

Well there's bigmouth getting trucked by Wisner, the other big mouth running the wrong way on a touchdown, the play where 2 linemen pull and the RB has no blocking, and a field goal.  Plenty of highlights.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, TOR said:

Well there's bigmouth getting trucked by Wisner, the other big mouth running the wrong way on a touchdown, the play where 2 linemen pull and the RB has no blocking, and a field goal.  Plenty of highlights.

Just the one Ewers INT on repeat over and over and over.  Maybe a poorly edited version of Wisner fumble without the ending of that play.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Bobby Layne said:

Where the hell was Stutsman going? Which lineman was he gonna tackle? He ran himself completely out of the play. 

It looks like he thought Gibson was going to run a sweep off the left tackle and jumped it.  There was no discipline to read the RPO or wait to see if the RB cut back inside.  He just started running to the sideline trying to beat the OL to the spot.  Bad discipline made him looks stupid. 

4 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Yeah I saw him slip down from the stands.  I watched the broadcast and agree with Herbstreit that Quinn probably could have put more air under it and led him more upfield but I think it's still a completion without the slip.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Danimal said:

Does OU have a mini movie out? or are the two notable plays they made too mini for a mini movie? Not even a highlight reel amount of material, right?

Anyone remember the poster a few years ago that would refer to any gif that got posted as a tiny movie?  Came off like an old guy that had just discovered the internet.

• Haha 3