Leave Quinn Ewers alone

ztejas

1 hour ago, Overlord said:

Quinn’s our guy this year. We roll with him. Ride or die. 

But how ya’ll gonna feel when he announces he's coming back for another year?

Does he look ready for NFL?

Ponder that. 

I guess it matters how we end this year

This is as stupid of a point as it was last year.  

Quinn would’ve been a top 15 pick last year (maybe 12 to Denver).  Quinn will be a top 10 pick this year if he doesn’t play another snap.   Someone will see his good games and high hs ranking and take him off projection period.  Everything he does the rest of the year means jack shit 

• Hook 'Em 1

Arch is going to be a monster, but OU threw some looks at Ewers that confused him and our line. That's asking for turnovers with any freshman QB, Manning or no.
IMO, the game was never in doubt. OU was never going to score more than 10 without significant help from us. It took help from us to get their 3 points. Several more turnovers is the only thing that could have kept them in it. 
Smart/Muschamp will have throw looks at us they haven't shown on film yet. We need Quinn's experience next week and we needed him to knock the rust off today. Quinn plays well in big games historically, he'll be ready.  

I told my wife I never got nervous. The people around us were rather obnoxious (screaming for Arch after the pick and screaming for Sark’s head on the next drive). I got frustrated quite a bit, but I was never nervous. I also didn’t get excited until that last score in the 4th. Game had a really weird vibe. Almost like we were in quicksand.
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Drew said:

I think it was a good game for Quinn to come back. Knock off rust. Get hit. Make mistakes. Bad throws.  

Now he can hopefully come out sharp against jawja 

He didn't take many hits, aside from the td run he got punished at the end of. That's a win, since he should feel stronger for the GA game.  He managed the game well after the first and only turnover and didn't force anything out of desperation.  

• Hook 'Em 3

This is a stupid post but I’ll give it attention.

only reason I’m not worried is because I know how Quinn looks regularly and when he’s on.
He can play better and I doubt he will look like that again. He’ll go in to the film room, and come out next week with something to prove which he has always done after a bad game. Same with Arch after that first start. I believe we have the best coaches in college and they’ll correct him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I told my wife I never got nervous. The people around us were rather obnoxious (screaming for Arch after the pick and screaming for Sark’s head on the next drive). I got frustrated quite a bit, but I was never nervous. I also didn’t get excited until that last score in the 4th. Game had a really weird vibe. Almost like we were in quicksand.

Damn straight. It was a good feeling to not worry about OU coming into the game, or during it. Last time I felt like this coming into the game was was the 05 team.

Feelsgoodman.gif

6 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

He didn't take many hits, aside from the td run he got punished at the end of. That's a win, since he should feel stronger for the GA game.  He managed the game well after the first and only turnover and didn't force anything out of desperation.  

This, plus the mistakes he made were accuracy issues, not missed reads. It looks like his abdominal strain is still bothering him a bit, but another week should help a lot with that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

This is as stupid of a point as it was last year.  

Quinn would’ve been a top 15 pick last year (maybe 12 to Denver).  Quinn will be a top 10 pick this year if he doesn’t play another snap.   Someone will see his good games and high hs ranking and take him off projection period.  Everything he does the rest of the year means jack shit 

Well, non contact injuries don't play well in draft rooms. 

My sources say 3rd round. 

He’ll be back. 

Then Surly goes Supernova

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

He sucked ass.

So much so that Sark changed the offensive attack.

And if he sucks like that that next week, we get our asses beat.

Yeah. We should be worried because one thing Quinn is none for is not showing up in big games.

• Hook 'Em 1

the only thing i really didn’t like was his body language early on when things weren’t going well. he appeared shook, and defeated, and i started having flashbacks to his first year here. he was just kind of listless and stunned instead of having any sort of emotional reaction. he got over that after the 1Q, and sure, he still was a bit erratic throughout the game, but being this was his first game action after a fairly long term injury, i really can’t find it in me to bitch about QE after this game. he’s still our leader and the guy we need at QB to win the whole damn thing, and he’s earned that. we just beat OU’s ass and we have another huge game on the horizon. this is no time to be jumping ship or bitching about QE. that’s our quarterback. get behind him or gtfo.

Edited by Derka
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Well, he made a lot of mistakes and kept a rival in a game way longer than they should have been.  It's possible to talk about that and be frustrated, and even think he should be benched, without shitting on him.

I think people were more frustrated with Sark than with Quinn.

But whatever.  Big win over ou.  It's a good day.

He did make mistakes. But I don’t think anyone that knows anything about football believes it would be better to come back against Georgia after being out for 4+ weeks instead of letting him gets snaps today against a trash ou team that presented zero threat. The game was won basically from the opening kickoff, so let your #1 get plays to get him back in rhythm. 

The game was never in doubt. Owens could’ve started and I would’ve been confident in a win. The ceiling for this team is absolutely higher with Ewers at qb

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

In fairness, the game thread is laden with posters calling for Quinn Ewers to be benched.

In a game we won by 31 points.

That's silly.

5th largest margin of victory for Texas over OU in the series history too. 34 unanswered points. The game thread was dumb. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

By the end of the first quarter it was pretty clear OU wouldn’t score another point, at least not on offense.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Is this the bedwetter thread or the bedwetting thread about the bedwetters?

This is the thread from which letters are sent to your inbox and breaks are going to be given. 

It's a fun and super informative thread. I'm glad it exists.

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I was never truly nervous, it never felt like the team was in trouble. To argue some sematics cause that better than the rest of this thread...

Turf toe.. this game felt and literally had some bad turf toe going on. Literally in one or two instances.

I was annoyed as shit for a good while. 

Then I relaxed and was no longer annoyed at all.

4 hours ago, Overlord said:

Ponder that. 

Hopefully he’ll get drafted by a team that he can sit and learn for a couple of years. 

1 hour ago, Sir Ulrich said:

No matter what happens the rest of the way Quinn is gonna leave texas with a winning record vs ou and a +66 point differential. That seems pretty good

I applaud the sentiment, but what if I told you that it was actually 76 points? That would seem even gooder, wouldn’t it?

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ponder that. 

Stat line during the game showed Mel Kiper has him currently at the 5th best qb.

8 hours ago, Pods said:

csb alert/  One of my worst feelings as a Texas fan was leaving the Cotton Bowl after one of the Mack Brown blowouts. A kid in an OU t-shirt was skipping around with Horns down and taunting the few of us that were left. Kid's dad grabbed him and said "Let em be son, they've had enough today."

Dark days

How would people be frustrated with Sark because Ewers missed wide open receivers all day?  He changed his game plan to screens and flea flickers once he figured out he couldn’t trust his qb to throw the ball down field….  It’s one bad game hopefully he doesn’t do this next week but to blame anything offensively on Sark is just dumb.   If Quinn hits open receivers we win by 21 more points at least.  

Flea flickers? I don’t recall one single flea flicker, much less multiple ones.

Are you referring to the two plays where Golden threw the ball? That’s not a flea flicker.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

So if he was still injured today, he’s almost guaranteed to be still injured next week, no?

And it shall not make a single shit. 

He needed time to settle in but was fine after that. Stats weren’t eye popping bc we shut it down after half and felt no need to press the issue. 

lest we forget that Ewers performs really well against “elite” defenses, and if you watched any of the UGA-MSU game you can see their defense can be pushed around (over 300 yards passing and three TDs for Van Buren). 

Quinn will have a great game and we will win. 

5 minutes ago, scottsins said:

Flea flickers? I don’t recall one single flea flicker, much less multiple ones

This term has been tossed around since the game and it’s wrong every time. We called two double passes, or two trick plays, or two hoopsiedoodles, but in no reality we’re either of those plays “flea flickers”

sorry to be a pedant, but this is glaringly obvious and anyone calling that a flea flicker needs extensive shock therapy. 

Edited by hookemATL
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Stat line during the game showed Mel Kiper has him currently at the 5th best qb.

Yeah but what about this one bad game?!?!?!?! I don’t think NFL teams have ever drafted a QB who played poorly against a good defense before.

21 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yeah but what about this one bad game?!?!?!?! I don’t think NFL teams have ever drafted a QB who played poorly against a good defense before.

Defend Quinn if you like, I've no objections at all.

However, Ousux is ranked 43 in the nation defensively with such stalwarts of defense like NIU, Duke, Rice and James Madison ahead of them as of Friday prior to the game.

I won't argue semantics and perhaps our definition of good defense is different, but in MY definition of good defense, ousux does not fucking qualify.

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Defend Quinn if you like, I've no objections at all.

However, Ousux is ranked 43 in the nation defensively with such stalwarts of defense like NIU, Duke, Rice and James Madison ahead of them as of Friday prior to the game.

I won't argue semantics and perhaps our definition of good defense is different, but in MY definition of good defense, ousux does not fucking qualify.

Venables is a good defensive coach and they threw out a ton of different looks in that first quarter. They aren’t very good at certain spots (CB) but they have several guys who will be playing on Sundays and a good coach coordinating them.

Regardless of where their scoring or total defense ranks, my overall point stands. Ewers isn’t the first NFL QB hopeful to have a poor game. This isn’t 2022 OSU where he had very little goodwill built up. The guy has played a lot of football the last 2 years and played well in big games. The same NFL that continually overdrafts QBs year after year isn’t overreacting to one bad performance.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The guy ended 20-29 for 200 yards, after missing two easy throws and being a little hesitant the first couple series.  The long throw to Moore (who may have been oob) seemed to get him going. 

His stat line ended up decent, not stellar, but he was scared to follow through on throws and take hits.  Quinn on a bad day is better than most of our opponents' QBs so 🤷 

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 1