Leave Quinn Ewers alone

ztejas

I thought he looked shaky/rusty in the 1Q (under a lot of pressure) then settled in fine. Only two really bad throws (both overthrown, including the pick). Once we went quick game we started moving the ball, and the game was over at 14-3. 

I was not alarmed at any point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone saying he was "a bit shaky" or "rusty" didn't watch the game or is in denial. He was flat out terrible. His downfield throws weren't just off target, they were missing by wild margins. 

He racked up 200 yards off of quick throws/screens and never had to try and get the ball downfield because OU sucks. We will lose next week if he looks anything like he did yesterday. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 20

Just now, allsups in tulia said:

Anyone saying he was "a bit shaky" or "rusty" didn't watch the game or is in denial. He was flat out terrible. His downfield throws weren't just off target, they were missing by wild margins. 

He racked up 200 yards off of quick throws/screens and never had to try and get the ball downfield because OU sucks. We will lose next week if he looks anything like he did yesterday. 

Great first post. Let me welcome you by telling you to fuck your own mother (you may have to grab a number and wait like the deli), and then point out that you suck shit through a straw. 

Quinn annihilates UGA next week and we will requote this post to shame you until you pay your penance. 

Get fucked!

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, hookemATL said:

Great first post. Let me welcome you by telling you to fuck your own mother (you may have to grab a number and wait like the deli), and then point out that you suck shit through a straw. 

Quinn annihilates UGA next week and we will requote this post to shame you until you pay your penance. 

Get fucked!

Cool. If QE plays like he's capable of playing next week we will win. And I hope he does. 

Doesn't change the fact that he was flat out awful yesterday. I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 15

7 minutes ago, allsups in tulia said:

Did you eat a burrito before positing this?

Tulia is close to Lubbock.     Are you Red Raider?

Edited by Nueces River Rat

4 minutes ago, allsups in tulia said:

Cool. If QE plays like he's capable of playing next week we will win. And I hope he does. 

Doesn't change the fact that he was flat out awful yesterday. I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings. 

If your first post is to call out posters and say that QB1 is terrible, you are going to catch shit. Especially after we mudholed OU with him at the helm. take some time to figure this place out before you going off half cocked (or in your case, quarter-cunted)  

Pussy. 

2 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

If your first post is to call out posters and say that QB1 is terrible, you are going to catch shit. Especially after we mudholed OU with him at the helm. take some time to figure this place out before you going off half cocked (or in your case, quarter-cunted)  

Pussy. 

post your pay stub

• Fuck You 12

46 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Venables is a good defensive coach and they threw out a ton of different looks in that first quarter. They aren’t very good at certain spots (CB) but they have several guys who will be playing on Sundays and a good coach coordinating them.

Regardless of where their scoring or total defense ranks, my overall point stands. Ewers isn’t the first NFL QB hopeful to have a poor game. This isn’t 2022 OSU where he had very little goodwill built up. The guy has played a lot of football the last 2 years and played well in big games. The same NFL that continually overdrafts QBs year after year isn’t overreacting to one bad performance.

Again, I agree with your point that Venables threw up a good game plan defensively, and is a good defensive coach. I don't disagree with your points on Ewer's NFL reaction to a single game.

However, OU does NOT have a good defense. That was a center point of the first post I quoted. I've re-quoted it below. It's fine to make the other points but don't weaken you own point by using statements that aren't factually correct. Data is data and the data clearly indicates that OUsux defense is NOT good. It's going to look worse that 43 after our ass pounding of them is added to the data.

The fact is Quinn had a really bad first quarter. He ended up having a decent game. There were issues with his performance and it wasn't against a good defense. It likely has very little effect on his NFL draft status unless it continues, but the fact is this isn't the first time it's happened. 

Yeah but what about this one bad game?!?!?!?! I don’t think NFL teams have ever drafted a QB who played poorly against a good defense before.

50 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Again, I agree with your point that Venables threw up a good game plan defensively, and is a good defensive coach. I don't disagree with your points on Ewer's NFL reaction to a single game.

However, OU does NOT have a good defense. That was a center point of the first post I quoted. I've re-quoted it below. It's fine to make the other points but don't weaken you own point by using statements that aren't factually correct. Data is data and the data clearly indicates that OUsux defense is NOT good. It's going to look worse that 43 after our ass pounding of them is added to the data.

The fact is Quinn had a really bad first quarter. He ended up having a decent game. There were issues with his performance and it wasn't against a good defense. It likely has very little effect on his NFL draft status unless it continues, but the fact is this isn't the first time it's happened. 

Yeah but what about this one bad game?!?!?!?! I don’t think NFL teams have ever drafted a QB who played poorly against a good defense before.

They’ve played opportunistic defense and have some decent players with a really great set of coaches. Quinn did have at least one deep ball open for a TD he whiffed but a LOT of replays showed 8 in coverage. In the end, sarks teams have struggled in the past with that patience offense of run and check downs but after the first quarter Quinn took advantage. His footwork has always been suspect but he played more than ok to lead Texas to a convincing win. He will be better next week. 

Just now, troph said:

Pay stubs are for pussy teenage boys, tax return for real men. do you even capital gains bro? 

All of my holdings are in off shore tax shelters, so my tax returns aren’t all that impressive either.  And my quarterly statements get mailed to my Bahamian island, and I won’t be going there until my Midnight Express 43 gets back from its tune up. 

• Drool 1

16 hours ago, ztejas said:

Don't gaslight me. The game thread was full of posters talking shit on Quinn. 

Couple things

1. Game threads bring out the worst in people. The QB of Texas will always be a lightning rod for them. Taking them seriously is bad for your health 

2 Quinn looked like freshman Quinn. The concerning part wasn’t just the missed passes, but a return to terrible footwork that plagued him his freshmen year. He looked to be trying to protect himself, especially in that 1Q. I am hoping taking the shot on the TD run helps him out. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Quinn had a suboptimal game yesterday, no doubt.

I can't remember him having two such games in a row, unless it is back to 2022, when Card was his potential replacement.  And, he's shown up for big games, historically.

It is extremely gruntling that we have a capable backup if he wtfs next weekend.  I'm glad it's at home.

Quinn wasn’t great but play calling didn’t help him either. Too many throws down field and not enough attacking the edges with passes to the running backs in the flat vs linebackers that have been so effective for us. The 4th down play call was either awful or the read by Ewers was… looked like the RB was open for an easy 1st down on 4th and 2 vs a low percentage fade to a double covered received in the corner of the endzone.

Edited by Billy Pilgrim

Just now, Billy Pilgrim said:

Quinn wasn’t great but play calling didn’t help him either. Too many throws down field and not enough attacking the edges with passes to the running backs in the flat vs linebackers that have been so effective for us. The 4th down play call was either awful or the read by Ewers was… looked like the RB was open for an easy 1st down on 4th and 2 vs a low percentage fade to a double covered received in the corner of the endzone.

Did we watch the same game? Helm caught like eleventy billion passes matched up against linebackers and the check down to the RB in the flat was routine. 

Just now, troph said:

Did we watch the same game? Helm caught like eleventy billion passes matched up against linebackers and the check down to the RB in the flat was routine. 

After Quinn went 3 and out/turned it over on the first 3 series. Too many 3rd and longs at the start of that game.

1 minute ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

After Quinn went 3 and out/turned it over on the first 3 series. Too many 3rd and longs at the start of that game.

The game was entirely different after the first quarter. Check downs routine, run the ball and accept OU dropping 8 most of the time.  But if you want to criticize the first quarter no one is going to argue.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

I mean, he badly missed two wide open shots over the middle. The gameplan was good it just wasn’t executed on.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

You tune in late to the game or something? The first series was the calls you said you would be good.

Ewers missed an unbelievably wide open throw early in the game. That doesn’t mean it was a bad play call. 

Just for reference, that a call doesn’t work doesn’t make it terrible. Maybe you could pick some of the worst play calls you saw and walk us through what OU was doing on defense that made each of them bad. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

Look, Quinn played like shit. It's ok to admit it. He knows it too. 

Honestly kind of prefer that performance as it relates to the Georgia game, he will work hard this week and I expect a great game from him Saturday night. 

Really only the first quarter after that he played the game as called pretty decently - well enough to score 34. The lack of the depth threat had nothing to do with his play and everything to do with OU. Sark’s early Texas teams could not deal with defenses in max coverage. 34-3 with short passing game and the run game was pretty impressive to me.  But yeah he looked atrocious in the first quarter and his foot work was suspect. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Derka said:

the only thing i really didn’t like was his body language early on when things weren’t going well. he appeared shook, and defeated, and i started having flashbacks to his first year here. he was just kind of listless and stunned instead of having any sort of emotional reaction. he got over that after the 1Q, and sure, he still was a bit erratic throughout the game, but being this was his first game action after a fairly long term injury, i really can’t find it in me to bitch about QE after this game. he’s still our leader and the guy we need at QB to win the whole damn thing, and he’s earned that. we just beat OU’s ass and we have another huge game on the horizon. this is no time to be jumping ship or bitching about QE. that’s our quarterback. get behind him or gtfo.

Arch should have been in there.  But don't criticize his body language.  That's just Ewers.  He was really rusty Saturday.

41 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Couple things

1. Game threads bring out the worst in people. The QB of Texas will always be a lightning rod for them. Taking them seriously is bad for your health 

2 Quinn looked like freshman Quinn. The concerning part wasn’t just the missed passes, but a return to terrible footwork that plagued him his freshmen year. He looked to be trying to protect himself, especially in that 1Q. I am hoping taking the shot on the TD run helps him out. 

I've realized its best not to read them once the game starts.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

You tune in late to the game or something? The first series was the calls you said you would be good.

Ewers missed an unbelievably wide open throw early in the game. That doesn’t mean it was a bad play call. 

Just for reference, that a call doesn’t work doesn’t make it terrible. Maybe you could pick some of the worst play calls you saw and walk us through what OU was doing on defense that made each of them bad. 

Bond slipped trying to adjust to the bad ball too. Maybe without the slip he still gets to it and outruns everyone and the game is over in the first quarter instead of the second quarter.  Maybe not, it looked really short. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Manning should have been in there, why?

Because Ewers couldn't hit a barn in the first quarter and was a little off after that.  Most of the yards were due to some really good tough running by our receivers.  And some of those easy passes were really high.  He had a tendency to overthrow Saturday.

54 minutes ago, troph said:

They’ve played opportunistic defense and have some decent players with a really great set of coaches. Quinn did have at least one deep ball open for a TD he whiffed but a LOT of replays showed 8 in coverage. In the end, sarks teams have struggled in the past with that patience offense of run and check downs but after the first quarter Quinn took advantage. His footwork has always been suspect but he played more than ok to lead Texas to a convincing win. He will be better next week. 

1) Nobody knows if he'll be better next week.

2) It's okay for fans to have opinions about the players performance that differ with your own.

3) Other than item 1 I don't really see any place where you and I largely disagree. Maybe I'm missing it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Quinn was rusty and it showed. He was tentative and it showed. Sark probably didn't call the best set of plays to get his feet wet. But in the 4th series he settled down and had the great crossing pass. It feels like we ran a lot of 2 TE formations yesterday. With Bond out, Quinn lost his downhill threat. I was hoping we'd take some deep shots but that didn't happen. But the dude is 2-1 against OU with two historical blowouts which we very rarely get. I think he'll turn in a much better performance against Georgia. The TD run was both electric and defiant. He proved his point to OU that he wasn't scared of contact.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, bullet said:

Because Ewers couldn't hit a barn in the first quarter and was a little off after that.  Most of the yards were due to some really good tough running by our receivers.  And some of those easy passes were really high.  He had a tendency to overthrow Saturday.

One bad quarter for a guy that’s been off for a month is a really shitty reason to bench a quarterback.   Nobody is saying he looked good, but the only way to knock the rust off is to work through that shit. And he did. He cleaned it up and we kicked the shit out of our hated rival. Ice Cube wrote a song about days like yesterday. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, bullet said:

So the way you get rid of the rust and get him going again is to bench him? Doesn’t seem very well thought out. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

So the way you get rid of the rust and get him going again is to bench him? Doesn’t seem very well thought out. 

Yeah, for better or worse, Sark seems to have a philosophy of making players/the team "play through" whatever struggles they may be having.  It appears to be pure stubbornness, but I think there's a method to the madness.  It seems to be part of building culture.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, for better or worse, Sark seems to have a philosophy of making players/the team "play through" whatever struggles they may be having.  It appears to be pure stubbornness, but I think there's a method to the madness.  It seems to be part of building culture.

It appears to be having some success on the field, as well. 

• Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

One bad quarter for a guy that’s been off for a month is a really shitty reason to bench a quarterback.   Nobody is saying he looked good, but the only way to knock the rust off is to work through that shit. And he did. He cleaned it up and we kicked the shit out of our hated rival. Ice Cube wrote a song about days like yesterday. 

Sark ripped into Quinn in the 3Q after the missed TD attempt to Wingo. That was right after the fade away sidearm attempt on 3rd down to Golden.  Yelling at him to set his feet, at least that is what the announcers claimed. I would bet Quinn and Sark really focus on the footwork this week in practice 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Yeah, he played poorly but the absolute worst decision would have been to pull the plug on your proven starter with skins on the wall after THREE drives when you are down 3-0 in favor of the media darling backup.

That surely wouldn’t cause any drama or controversy.

If this was 2022 or Ewers had looked like 2021 Spencer Rattler coming into this game I would have been more willing to entertain a change but you don’t do that to your starting QB of 3 years who had been playing at a Heisman trophy level prior to injury.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

1) Nobody knows if he'll be better next week.

2) It's okay for fans to have opinions about the players performance that differ with your own.

3) Other than item 1 I don't really see any place where you and I largely disagree. Maybe I'm missing it.

No prob with disagreement. More interested in faulty logic to support it. Quinn did not play his best game the last two years against OU yet both were more than adequate. This time the D was legit. He might not play better next week but I’d bet on he does.

I also think Quinn is the best qb since Colt and I’m here to enjoy it not parse it or criticize it.

• Hook 'Em 5

Quinn has all the potential in the world but then he has these games.  The downfield passing hasn’t ever been consistent for an extended period of time if we’re being honest.  I thought the heisman talk was a bit much from the start.  He doesn’t put up heisman numbers, he has three games in his career with 300 yards passing and atleast two touchdowns, three.  Could he come out next week and have 350 yards passing and three touchdowns, sure but that’s just not something he does consistently.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bullet said:

Arch should have been in there.  But don't criticize his body language.  That's just Ewers.  He was really rusty Saturday.

no, his body language was fucking terrible, and i will rightly criticize that any time i see it. you cannot have your team leader, all american, heisman favorite (before the injury) qb acting all sullen and shook because he’s not playing well. cannot do it. i’m glad he got over it, but early on he looked like he belonged on one of those texas teams that gets beaten 60-7 and then helps the OU players up off the turf. fuck all of that.