Game week 2024, week 7 Georgia @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

@BurntOrange&White

Just listen how loud this was on the broadcast, especially when Houston had the ball and Texas was on D, and remember:

1. it was a horseshoe that let sound fly away

2. 77,809 capacity, 3/4ths the size it is today

3. even when we were up 42-10 the crowd didn't let up

they also didn't mic the crowds for TV like they do now.  It was the sustained noise(of course when Houston had the ball) the entire game that was impressive

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Tomatillo said:

We reported each other, we just didn’t cheat as recklessly and egregiously as the SWC which is no longer on existence. Who was in that league, btw? 

Any fan of a top 50 program pretending they didn’t cheat since 1950 is full of it. It’s just a question of how much. 

There is 1980s SMU, Clemson. Auburn, UF level and then there is everyone else. 

Tomatillo? Tomatillo, where are you? Tomatillo, are you gone? 

image.png.08ecbc59df4e4c9a53531523ef5156c2.png

12 hours ago, Jimmy Two Times said:

Georgia's linebackers are at a different level athletically than both OU's and Michigan's and they have more speed in the two deep all over the field. That being said, I absolutely agree that we shouldn't struggle scoring. I'm not sure there's a team out there whose pass rush is effective enough to shut us down. 

Sark's offense is built on numbers and mismatches, getting guys in space, and hitting them, which we have had plenty of in every game. Even with dropped TD passes, poor throws and untimely/questionable penalties, we have scored with ease.

All that means is we might have a few faster guys trying to catch up, while we have the ball and are running away.  They may reduce the YAC, but I don't see them stopping the passes.

I watched some of Ikard & Lehman (OU honks) last night; They commented that OU's defense seemed lost, looking at the sideline for signals and getting aligned while Texas was snapping the ball.  I expect Georgia to have similar issues, trying to figure out what we're doing, oh, shit!, they snapped the ball, and off to the races.

11 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If you seriously don’t know that when Georgia hired Kirby Smart they went on a systematic and large scale cheating jag I don’t know what to tell you. You are either doing a willful blindness act or are dumb enough that I’m surprised you were able to turn on your computer and find this site. 
We have always maintained at Texas that we don’t do large scale institutional cheating the way they do at the following schools:

Bama, Georgia, Aggy, (OU in the past- they’ve actually cleaned their act up in the last 30 years), Ohio State, Clemson, Auburn, LSU, USC, and at times Ole Miss and Tennessee.

The proof of that, literally, is when it was taken out of the murky depths of dishonesty Texas went from never winning a head to head against those schools to winning almost all of them. Gee, wonder why that was? 

Texas, Michigan, and the Domers are the blue bloods (I suppose Nebraska too) that never seriously played the bag game and their history of being up and down sort of shows that. Let’s just say we won’t ever miss out on classes anymore because someone decides that they are going to outbid us and leave it at that. 

Georgia will be fine in the new paradigm. You might have to get a coach that isn’t a barely functional retard between here and there, but yall have enough passion and advantages from being quasi urban as opposed to backwater hicks that I think it will be more or less ok for you. But it won’t be Texas. And, right now, we are also smarter than you, so, uh, yeah- good luck with all that. 

Well said, Wulaw. I was going to further elaborate for Tomatillo, but ...

10 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Georgia and Texas are in the top 10 for both offensive and defensive FEI and SP+, this may be the first (only?) such game all year. It will likely come down to who plays cleaner - taking care of the ball, avoiding penalties, establishing field position on special teams. 

Looking forward to seeing what DKR has in store. The last home game I can remember that even approached this level of anticipation is 2019 LSU, which was rocking, and this is a better team coming off a throttling of Oklahoma with more on the line in a conference game.  Georgia ... doesn't have a ton of experience with playing strong opponents on the road thanks to living in the SEC East until now.  But home field advantage is real in football and Texas, by most metrics, grades out as a slightly better team.

Key matchup is the Texas DL vs the Georgia OL. Texas has not seen an offense of this caliber, especially in the passing game. If Texas is having to commit numbers to run or blitzing is the only way to manufacture a pass rush the Georgia can have their way. Again, real hot take - win the LOS to win the game.

I see Georgia's off the field antics bleeding into their on the field performance, which has been somewhat inconsistent in every game they've played. Seeing Kirby's antics looks like a coach on the edge trying to keep the ball from unraveling, not a guy gently nudging the steering wheel.

We know Texas is good this year, we just don't know how good. I do know we have a great scheme on offense and explosive play makers at every position, and an OL that knows that it all starts with them. As good as our offensive numbers are, they could and should have been considerably better.

I thought I read that Georgia had 2 injured OL that are coming back this week, and some had been critical of how poorly they have looked. I expect them to better than OU, but not like what they have had in the past.

I think it almost comical the constant SEC refrain that Texas has never been in a high stakes game or played in a hostile environment before.  

The new end zone keeps more of the sound in than before. The Alabama game was very loud, and hot as hell. The atmosphere at DKR in 1977, after beating OU for the first time in 6 years, Texas rising to #1, with Earl playing for a Heisman was electric. I expect Texas v. Georgia at DKR on a Saturday night to be as loud as its ever been.

6 hours ago, troph said:

I’m getting amped up feeling like the gal who jumps up on the table in pulp fiction and yells I’ll shoot every last one of ya mother fuckers except I won’t pee myself when Jules comes at me. Let’s fucking go, Georgia going down and not like going down on a lady, I mean getting their asses beat down. Aggies were right, these SEC folk ain’t never seen arrogant like a dominant Texas team. Bring it bitches you can’t handle this. MC hammer, jack Nicholson on that wall, pulp fiction, all of it. Fuck Georgia, fuck the SEC, we gonna run it. 

University Of Texas Softball GIF by Texas Longhorns

I think it almost comical the constant SEC refrain that Texas has never been in a high stakes game or played in a hostile environment before. Texas has ended commendable home winning streaks of Michigan, Alabama, USC, Ohio State, & Nebraska, and has scoreboard on all of them, as well as Oklahoma & Notre Dame. 

We're Texas! One Riot, One Ranger. Its out time to lead from the front, again.

2 hours ago, troph said:

His (Rimbo’s) point is next level. 1990 with a shit stadium was the loudest it had ever been by a mile. Can we have the loudest it’s ever been by a mile again please?

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

Some of us have been consistently attending games since the 70’s and 80’s. Nothing will ever compare to that UH game because of the circumstances that led up to it. Mizzou came closest but it was definitely not the same.

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

I was at both of those (although a kid for UH so hard to gauge).  08 was fantastic.  Tech last year was solid. Bama '22 was elite despite being hot as hell.  If you are adjusting for daytime/heat factor that might have been the best.  If we bring that Bama energy to a night game watch out.

DKR has been so loud you couldn't talk to the people next to you, many times. Its hard to compare being in the middle of the student section v. being in the end zone or upped deck. Miss State had back to back delay-of-game penalties. That is plenty loud enough.

In 1974 against Arkansas, freshman Earl Campbell, after scoring on a 68 yard run, blocked a punt that Doug English returned for a TD. That was probably the loudest thing I'd ever heard that wan't connected to a jet engine.

Ricky's record run against A&M was like slowing cranking a bank of 100 W Marshalls from zero to 11, with the crescendo sustained at the end for who know's how long, making your ears and head, and eventually, your throat hurt.

I'm looking forward to some similar experiences Saturday night. 

• Hook 'Em 2