Game week 2024, week 7 Georgia @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

5 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

This video is fantastic. Some of the highlights:

Ewers looked bad at first, but SOME of that can be attributed to the way OU would show one coverage pre-snap, then do another after snap. It's an elite defensive scheme that OU executed perfectly. But if Michigan-level Ewers showed up, all the schemes left open guys anyway.

Our running game can, and does, attack every gap, and all from the same formation.

tldr we have made a couple of elite defenses look silly; if Ewers looks anything like he did against Michigan, Georgia is gonna have a bad time

• Hook 'Em 8

1 hour ago, PTINS said:

Sark said he reached out to PK, because PK gave Sark's offense fits. Not a comfort hire from the good ole boys club, but someone he didn't know other than as as opponent. That showed an awareness that is unconventional in coaching circles.

Bob Stoops hired Mike Leach for the same reason.

It's what good coaches do: Hire the person you'd least like to play against.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:

Yep. Full afterburner too in the Pasadena twilight. 

I went to college in Abilene where one of the main B1 bases in the country is located (Dyess AFB) to quote the late great Keith Jackson “when they lit the candle, the crystal rattled.” 

this just got me even more hyped for the game. A B1 at full burner is LOUD AF. That crowd is going to be fully lathered up come time for kick.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I think you spent a pittance at the beginning of the year ($300?) for a season pass to all sporting events, but then you had to do a lottery thing to get the actual seat for football.

It wasn't popular. We'd sucked for a while and would continue to until Mack showed up.

This was my first year in grad school. The all-sports pass was like $85 (up from $58 my freshman year) but there were no guaranteed seats at all - you had to queue up and they distributed tix until they were gone, and they were completely random. You could be the first guy in line and get shit seats or the last guy and sit down low on the 45…

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

I went to college in Abilene where one of the main B1 bases in the country is located (Dyess AFB) 

Abilene is my hometown. I used to go to that public playground right outside the fence on the flight line to smoke weed and watch the B1s take off and land. 

Last time I went back I drove out there to see if it was still open, and to my surprise it was. Base security arrived less than five minutes after I did. After a check of my ID and my explanation of being out there past 11 on a school night they let me be. Glad I hadn’t sparked up yet.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

I went to college in Abilene where one of the main B1 bases in the country is located (Dyess AFB) to quote the late great Keith Jackson “when they lit the candle, the crystal rattled.” 

this just got me even more hyped for the game. A B1 at full burner is LOUD AF. That crowd is going to be fully lathered up come time for kick.

He’ll yeah they are. I have a video of me at night standing at the end of the runway at Al Udeid and one taking off full tilt over me. It’s legit 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

On Finebaum just now, a guy from San Antonio called in and said that 17 players didn't practice today...stomach issues (State Fair food ?)...not sure.  Anyone know if there's any truth to this?  Hopefully, just bullshit.

Return of The Dinesh?

I used to get the beginning stages of mild depression after 6 games because that meant the end of the season was near...but Holy Fuck there's a ton of football left to be played....
I'm at the same place, can't believe I was actually against expanding the playoffs.

Actually I'm still against it and maintain 8 is the perfect expansion number. Just hope it doesn't go past 12 or the sense of accomplishment and exclusivity will be totally gone.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

This was my first year in grad school. The all-sports pass was like $85 (up from $58 my freshman year) but there were no guaranteed seats at all - you had to queue up and they distributed tix until they were gone, and they were completely random. You could be the first guy in line and get shit seats or the last guy and sit down low on the 45…

I remember those days 79-82.   That’s why we showed our IDs and took our chances with the drawing.  I think you needed an ID for each ticket.  I may be getting senile but didn’t they punch holes in our IDs after drawing tickets?

Expecting an awesome game. I think we have an overall better roster and overall coaching advantage (thank you Mike Bobo), and I expect us to win.

I do think it will be close. If there is any reason for concern, I think it’s that (a) this is perhaps a do or die game for Georgia’s playoff hopes, which I’m sure Kirby is hammering, and (b) the media seems to be universally picking us, which, again, I’m sure Kirby is hammering. I expect that we’ll get their A game, so we better bring ours. 

• Hook 'Em 5

4 hours ago, Texasborn91 said:

Quinn was amazing against Michigan. Stepping up, evading pressure. That was the best he’s looked I think. 

I know it was UTSA but the offense timing in the first series of UTSA was the most automatic, perfectly timed, and quickly lethal I've seen a Texas passing offense since I can remember.  He was razor sharp on passes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Expecting an awesome game. I think we have an overall better roster and overall coaching advantage (thank you Mike Bobo), and I expect us to win.

I do think it will be close. If there is any reason for concern, I think it’s that (a) this is perhaps a do or die game for Georgia’s playoff hopes, which I’m sure Kirby is hammering, and (b) the media seems to be universally picking us, which, again, I’m sure Kirby is hammering. I expect that we’ll get their A game, so we better bring ours. 

Weird to be halfway through October and we’ve yet to play a stressful fourth quarter snap. Assuming we get there on Saturday, I’m interested to see how this team responds when it’s truly nut cutting time 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, General Specific said:

Damnit, I had something for this!

All your base

Damnit, I had something for this!

FIFY

image.thumb.png.a556cfbe32fb873ac9819e7f9ca2dd1d.png

Yep, been there!  Lulz.

That's the side of the road on "The Loneliest Road In America" --US Highway 50-- across the center of Nevada from Fallon to Austin, Nevada.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

On Finebaum just now, a guy from San Antonio called in and said that 17 players didn't practice today...stomach issues (State Fair food ?)...not sure.  Anyone know if there's any truth to this?  Hopefully, just bullshit.

spongebob squarepants bullshit GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

From Chronicle: 

While Texas coach Steve Sarkisian has enough to worry about with No. 5 Georgia visiting Saturday, his program has a chance to make an impression on some of the nation’s top high school players during what will be a key recruiting weekend. 
According to several recruiting sites, more than 40 four- and five-star recruits from the 2025, 2026 and 2027 classes will be invading the 40 Acres for one of the biggest SEC matchups of the season as the No. 1 Longhorns try to remain undefeated.
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

FIFY

image.thumb.png.a556cfbe32fb873ac9819e7f9ca2dd1d.png

Yep, been there!  Lulz.
That's the side of the road on "The Loneliest Road In America" --US Highway 50-- across the center of Nevada from Fallon to Austin, Nevada.

That brings back memories. I spent a little over a week out in Austin, NV. The old lady with the giant fly swatter, got me for being fresh.

Drank a bit at the International nightly until we went to Belmont. A girl I know got some shoes from that tree, and unsurprisingly contracted a foot fungus.
  • Hook 'Em 1

So my work world is blowing up in a good way….I’ve been football drinking since last Thursday, and I don’t see this shit ending until after the Vanderbilt game…..

Hook Em High like an Eagle Soars indeed…

11 minutes ago, Nivek said:

That brings back memories. I spent a little over a week out in Austin, NV. The old lady with the giant fly swatter, got me for being fresh.

Drank a bit at the International nightly until we went to Belmont. A girl I know got some shoes from that tree, and unsurprisingly contracted a foot fungus.

What the fuck does this even mean?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 10/14/2024 at 10:00 AM, Tomatillo said:

Nice article on Texas-UGA in the Athletic:

Texas dominance

tomatillo got 5 birds for posting this article from the nyt

not deserved

great article

Spoiler
Georgia vs. Texas football history: Fran Tarkenton, Tom Landry and Bevo charging Uga

[Image: Georgia vs. Texas football history: Fran Tarkenton, Tom Landry and Bevo charging Uga]

By Seth Emerson
Oct 14, 2024

Sixty-six years later, Fran Tarkenton remembers every detail about his college football debut. It came at Memorial Stadium, as Texas’ stadium was called then. And it happened when Tarkenton put himself in the game.

Tarkenton was the backup quarterback to start the 1958 season. Georgia’s offense was awful, and it was unable to get a first down. Tarkenton watched in growing disgust.

Advertisement

“I’d been harassing Wally Butts to, ‘Let me in, let me in, let me in.’ He never did,” Tarkenton said last week.

So he took the initiative. When Texas punted early in the fourth quarter, Tarkenton noticed Georgia’s starting quarterback sitting on the bench. Standing at the 50-yard line, right next to Butts, the sophomore didn’t wait.

[Image: The Pulse Newsletter]

The Pulse Newsletter

Free, daily sports updates direct to your inbox.

Free, daily sports updates direct to your inbox.

[Image: Buy The Pulse Newsletter]

“I just ran on the field,” Tarkenton said. “My teammates were telling me: ‘What are you doing here?’”

Butts either didn’t have enough time to stop him or just didn’t bother. Asked what Butts said to him afterward, Tarkenton said: “Nothing! Nothing!” Either way, what ensued was what is still one of the longest drives in Georgia history: 21 plays, 95 yards, capped by Tarkenton hitting Jimmy Vickers for a 3-yard touchdown, then hitting Aaron Box for the first two-point conversion in program history. (It was a new rule that year.)

Texas answered with its own long drive — 72 yards on 17 plays — to win the game. But the legend of Tarkenton’s career had begun, and it would have seemed like a good time for two of the biggest programs in college football to launch a storied rivalry. But that proved to be the last time Georgia visited Austin.

Until this Saturday, which will only be the sixth time the two powers have played each other.

Texas beat Georgia in the 2019 Sugar Bowl in the most recent meeting between the programs. (Sean Gardner / Getty Images)

The rivalry, such as it is, has created moments: Bevo going after Uga. Darrell Royal’s first game as Texas’ coach. Georgia moving a home game to Georgia Tech’s stadium for financial reasons. Tom Landry playing his final game with the Longhorns. Georgia ruining Texas’ national title hopes.

Some quick history:

1949: Orange Bowl, Texas won 41-28

This should have been a mismatch: Georgia was ranked No. 8 and on an eight-game winning streak. Texas was unranked with three losses and only got the Orange Bowl bid because SMU, which won the Southwest Conference, went to the Cotton Bowl.

Advertisement

The game began fortuitously enough for the Bulldogs, who got a 71-yard pick six from Al Bodine. But the Longhorns rallied and went ahead with a touchdown run by Landry, who finished with 117 yards. The future Dallas Cowboys coach turned pro after the game. Butts suffered the first of three losses to Texas.

1957: Atlanta, season opener, Texas won 26-7

This goes down in Texas history as the debut for Royal, who finished 6-4-1 and ranked No. 11 in his first season.

The game goes down in Georgia history as an example of how different times were: Georgia moved the game to Georgia Tech’s home field because attendance would be better.

At the time, Georgia and Georgia Tech struggled to fill their stadiums if they were playing on the same day, “particularly Georgia, which is located in a sparsely populated area,” Dan Magill, wrote in Georgia’s official athletic department newsletter.

“No Georgia supporter could regret moving the Georgia-Texas game from beautiful Sanford Stadium to Grant Field any more than your Georgia Bulldog editor,” Magill added. “But we must admit that it was financially necessary to do so.”

Georgia was in the doldrums of the Butts era and finished 3-7, and the opener set the tone. As did the next year’s opener.

1958: Austin, season opener, Texas won 13-8

After Tarkenton’s heroics, Texas quarterback Bobby Lackey answered with his long drive for the game winner. The Longhorns finished 7-3 in Royal’s second season, and he won two AP and three coaches poll national championships in his 20-year tenure.

As for Georgia, the Tarkenton era had begun, although not without another hiccup. Butts didn’t play Tarkenton the next week at Vanderbilt, leading Tarkenton and teammate Pat Dye to decide to transfer. They had cleaned out their dorm room but were talked out of it by an assistant coach. The next season, Tarkenton led Georgia to a 10-1 season and another trip to the Orange Bowl, where the Bulldogs beat Missouri. Another matchup with the Longhorns wouldn’t come for almost three decades.

Advertisement

1984: Cotton Bowl, Georgia won 10-9

Georgia essentially took away a national championship from Texas, which entered the game unbeaten and No. 2 in the AP and coaches polls and likely would have moved up after No. 1 Nebraska was upset that night in the Orange Bowl. But Georgia quarterback John Lastinger ran in a 17-yard touchdown with 3:22 left, and Kevin Butler kicked the game-winning extra point, capping the kind of low-scoring win that Vince Dooley liked.

Texas outgained Georgia 278-215 but committed four turnovers, including a muffed punt return that set up Georgia’s game-winning drive: Texas receiver Craig Curry, the short man on the punt return, thought Georgia was going to fake it, but instead the punt was short, and he tried to field it.

“I have no excuses. I don’t know what happened to me,” a tearful Curry said. “I had no idea it would be short. I just don’t know why I did it.”

Georgia, which entered the game ranked No. 5, moved up a spot, finishing 10-1-1 in its first year without Herschel Walker, who was watching the game from the press box.

“We’re not as good a team without Herschel, but this is as fine a group as I’ve had in 20 years of coaching,” Dooley said.

2019: Sugar Bowl, Texas won 28-21

The most memorable thing happened before the game and didn’t even involve the players or coaches: Bevo went after Uga, turning what was supposed to be a happy photo op into a viral moment. (Read about it here.)

The incident portended the game as Georgia, dealing with several opt-outs and injuries, fell behind early and never recovered, losing 28-21.

2024: Saturday in Austin

Sixty-six years later, Georgia makes its return to Austin, this time with the teams in the same conference preparing for a much-hyped matchup with national championship ramifications.

Tarkenton, who was in Napa Valley last week, said he’ll watch from his home in Atlanta if he’s home by then. Like everyone else, he’s glad it’s happening.

“Texas has a great team and a great coach. We have the same,” Tarkenton said. “It’s what it’s supposed to be. Great teams like Texas and Georgia are supposed to play each other.”

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NashLonghorn said:

I remember those days 79-82.   That’s why we showed our IDs and took our chances with the drawing.  I think you needed an ID for each ticket.  I may be getting senile but didn’t they punch holes in our IDs after drawing tickets?

I think they punched a hole in the ticket and you had to have your ID with the all sports sticker if your ticket had the hole in it

Or a 10 spot folded with the ticket (20 at the CB)

5 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Quinn did have to sling it around against Michigan. We were in several third and longs early and he converted for us. Quinn’s mechanics and accuracy were the difference between the starts in that game and OU. 

This. Not only were guys open, he found them even early. He just missed on several occasions.

I think this will be a big game for Blue.
Georgia's secondary has been bad in coverage but they've been even worse tackling on the edge. I'm expecting a bunch of RB swing passes to force their DBs to make plays in space. 
Honestly, I'd rather see Wisner start over Blue. More sure-handed with the football and runs over people. Hit Helm early and often. Hit Wingo with space to run. Golden and Bond making big grabs. Pour it on early and often.

I wonder what Spoon thought of the 90 Houston game while watching in Austin, Nevada?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rholl said:

Im just glad we are done comparing crowd noise from 1990 Houston til 2024….. who gives a fuck…… just win!!

A lot of people give a fuck about many aspects of Texas football. I can tell by the two exclamation points that you’re super excited for a win, but talking about other things doesn’t really affect that. 

• Hook 'Em 1