Game week 2024, week 7 Georgia @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

With this offense, and especially these receivers, the only thing that could possibly keep us from scoring 50+ against every team we face (here on out) is a QB who can't hit the long ball. Quinn's been suspect, but there's a good chance he puts that weakness to rest this weekend. Manning showed us what is possible. Quinn needs the long ball. Figure that out and we will go... all... the... way!

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

With this offense, and especially these receivers, the only thing that could possibly keep us from scoring 50+ against every team we face (here on out) is a QB who can't hit the long ball. Quinn's been suspect, but there's a good chance he puts that weakness to rest this weekend. Manning showed us what is possible. Quinn needs the long ball. Figure that out and we will go... all... the... way!

Not sure that will be the issue. Lot of teams are not going to give Texas the long ball. OU kept 2 safeties back most the game. I would bet after people saw Arch, he is going to see a lot of deep safeties. That is big reason why Quinn has been so good in the intermediate game (outside OU). There is nice soft spot between the LBs and Safeties. It will be interesting if someone tries to get up on the WRs and take away teh short and intermediate game, but you better have some legit CBs. I am not sure there is a team out there with that level of CB play this year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

If I was playing Texas and ewers. I’d press the  wrs and force ewers to complete long balls honestly. I’m  not a coach so I’m sure I’m wrong, but I feel you have to make ewers throw long and take the chance he’s not gonna complete those passes or maybe get lucky and win most of the reps 

FAFO GEORGIA 

Edited by Hookem10
Forgot
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ehhh maybe. They're looking very beatable and still have to play at Tennessee and at LSU, plus the Iron Bowl at the end of the season. They could pretty easily end the year with 2-3 losses in conference. Assuming we beat UGA, Bama at LSU and LSU at A&M are the two games that will determine who makes the conference title game. LSU and A&M have 0 losses in conference. A&M has been gifted an unbelievably easy schedule. They don't have to play Bama, UGA, Ole Miss, or Tenn and they get LSU and Texas at home. The toughest road game they play all year will be at South Carolina.  

You, Sir, Are a Liar!  I've been told by many reputable sources that Texas has been gifted the easiest schedule in all the dag gum SEC this year!

1 hour ago, sith_horn said:

I don't want to hear it at anytime, for any reason, ever. I don't want the younger fans picking it up as a habit because surely a bunch of them will be chanting just because everyone else is, not because they know the Hell why.

We're Texas.

Texas Football GIF by Texas Longhorns

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

Any SEC chant by Texas fans are out of sarcasm and you old asses have had life pass you by if you think differently

The SEC chant by Texas fans in Tuscaloosa after the Alabama game was out of reach is a highlight for me as a fan. The kicker being we weren't actually in the SEC at the time. 

I like sarcastic SEC chants. I don't like it when we're celebrating the entrance to the SEC and the athletic director starts it from stage with a microphone in his hand, but what are you going to do? That's going to happen, and people are going to join in.

But I don't like it even a little bit. 

• Hook 'Em 9

13 minutes ago, Hookem10 said:

If I was playing Texas and ewers. I’d press the  wrs and force ewers to complete long balls honestly. I’m  not a coach so I’m sure I’m wrong, but I feel you have to make ewers throw long and take the chance he’s not gonna complete those passes or maybe get lucky and win most of the reps 

You can attack physical, pressing DBs by moving off the LOS. Using "bunch" formations where only 1 receiver is actually on the LOS and the rest have to get sorted out at the snap is one way of staying out of physical battles. Pre-snap motion also makes those defenders declare who they're playing.

Of course, there's always the risk that you lose your "jam" at the LOS. Best thing to do when that happens is to fade forward and pretend like your coverage assignment was the flat. Turning and chasing just means you're going to be out of breath when you hear the band play "Texas Fight".

• Hook 'Em 4

21 minutes ago, Atticus said:

The more I look at Georgia this year, the more I believe that OU has a better defense than them. 
I personally believe we’ll show that we’re a better defense than both of them as well. Our run D seems to improve every week. 

I think OU is coached better on defense. Which is not really a knock on Georgia. Venables cut his teeth playing and coaching under Snyder, then coaching under Stoops, and then being the highest paid assistant in college football for years under Sweeney during Clemson's peak years. Venables is going to field really good defenses. People being dismissive of OU (and that's not anyone I see on here, that's media types trying to discount UT's performance) don't know what they're talking about. 

Georgia still has a lot of NFL talent on that defense, and Kirby Smart is a very good defensive mind. I just think Venables is an even better defensive mind. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

Georgia still has a lot of NFL talent on that defense, and Kirby Smart is a very good defensive mind. I just think Venables is an even better defensive mind. 

"The Film Guy" breakdown of what OU was doing with their secondary to confuse Quinn in the first quarter was good shit. I'm sure not the first time we've seen it but it was executed really well.  Could tell a really well coached and prepared defense.  It wasn't just that QE was 'rusty', they took away his pre-snap read and QE was slow to process it.  I hope in hindsight it was good for him to get that kind of a test right off the bat after a month off, because those are plays a dialed in QE reads and makes. 

• Hook 'Em 4

31 minutes ago, Hookem10 said:

FAFO GEORGIA 

10 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

You can attack physical, pressing DBs by moving off the LOS. Using "bunch" formations where only 1 receiver is actually on the LOS and the rest have to get sorted out at the snap is one way of staying out of physical battles. Pre-snap motion also makes those defenders declare who they're playing.

Of course, there's always the risk that you lose your "jam" at the LOS. Best thing to do when that happens is to fade forward and pretend like your coverage assignment was the flat. Turning and chasing just means you're going to be out of breath when you hear the band play "Texas Fight".

Agree with this. Every fan's first idea for defense is to play press man and get to the QB with 4, but there's a reason that basically no college defense actually runs this. Between motion, rub routes, bunch formations that don't allow pressing and tight alignments combined with the significantly wider hash marks in the NFL. It's way too easy to isolate a safety on a guy like Isaiah Bond with no help or run a mesh route that leaves him wide open with room to run. In other words, Quinn doesn't have to hit a single deep ball to kill press man coverage.  On top of that, our OL, and specifically our OTs, are way too good in pass pro to play press man consistently. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

This is why this match up favors Texas. We are loaded at WR and Georgia’s secondary is bad. 

Everyone is talking about this being a battle in the trenches when reality the main factor in this game will be if Georgia can find a way to slow down our receivers. 

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Yup.  I'm aware I'm hardly going out on a limb, but I expect Helm to have a very big day on Saturday.

That would be cool, love Helm, but I doubt it. A can't believe Georgia won't scheme to stop him after he was so effective against OU. I think Bond will be the guy if he's not hurting.

• Hook 'Em 2

Every game is a battle in the trenches. As much as I love Sark's magic, Kyle Flood is the guy that changed everything at Texas. I try not to think of all the talented players we wasted over the years when the OL couldn't give them a chance. We cost a lot of kids serious NFL money with our ineptitude.

On the flip side, even though the sample size is small, I haven't seen a Texas player quicker than Colin Simmons since Brian Orakpo. Any of our other Edge transfers would be All-Star, except Simmons is making them look pedestrian. The defense can play pass defense in crazy ways when they know the QB will be on the ground within a (vanishingly small) amount of time.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

If we win this game, I will officially move past the ptsd I have from the Herman and Strong eras and will start thinking we’re going to drag our nuts across everyone we play. 

That said, people here are underestimating Beck. The kid is a damn good qb. Has he thrown some bad picks? Yep. So has Quinn. But Beck works the middle of the field well and unquestionably throws a better deep ball. If Quinn could hit the deep ball I would feel that he’s the better QB, but he can’t, so it seems hubris to say without question that he’s better. 

Lastly, Georgia has a legit FG kicker and we have….Bert. Let’s hope it doesn’t come down to a field goal.

We’ve all seen you post and nobody believes that. Lie to us, but don’t lie to yourself. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Just now, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Given how much they relished being in the SEC...

Given how much they loved that they "left Texas behind forever" in the Big Dumpster Fire conference...

Given how much they thought they had gotten out from under our shadow...

Given how much of a recruiting advantage they though they had on Texas as the only Texas school in the SEC... 

Given how much they sucked up to the other SEC schools and jerked off to Bama and LSU winning titles...

Given the way that they freaked the fuck out about us joining their conference... 

Given how they were forced to vote us in to the SEC... 

Given how they feel Snakey stabbed them in the back by letting Texas in...

Given the way that they were so self-assured that Texas couldn't handle the SEC grind, line of scrimmage league bullshit...

And if Texas winning that games puts us into the SEC championship game that they've never even sniffed and maybe knocks them out of the playoffs, and cements for them that big brother is back to torment the fuck out of them once and forever?

Yeah, I love a poooor aggies as much as anybody, but that SEC chant in their own building is going to sting like a motherfucker.

“Poor Aggies” encapsulates all that, and more. If you want to put a bumper sticker on a Huracán, no one can stop you.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Hookem10 said:

FAFO GEORGIA 

Then he tears you up with the backs and TE like he did against Michigan. There is no way to stop our offense when we are executing at a high level.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ehhh maybe. They're looking very beatable and still have to play at Tennessee and at LSU, plus the Iron Bowl at the end of the season. They could pretty easily end the year with 2-3 losses in conference. Assuming we beat UGA, Bama at LSU and LSU at A&M are the two games that will determine who makes the conference title game. LSU and A&M have 0 losses in conference. A&M has been gifted an unbelievably easy schedule. They don't have to play Bama, UGA, Ole Miss, or Tenn and they get LSU and Texas at home. The toughest road game they play all year will be at South Carolina.  

aggy will lose to MSU. Mizzou was classic climax game for them

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Hookem10 said:

FAFO GEORGIA 

From what I've seen you pressure Quin into quick decisions/passes, spread out the defense and close those off. Forget about the long ball. That's rarely going to be completed.

10 minutes ago, IBuryPaul said:

From what I've seen you pressure Quin into quick decisions/passes, spread out the defense and close those off. Forget about the long ball. That's rarely going to be completed.

Quinn's not completing any long passes throwing off his back foot while still hurt. Best bet is the quick/short passing game and going for YAC.

3 hours ago, Atticus said:

The more I look at Georgia this year, the more I believe that OU has a better defense than them. 
I personally believe we’ll show that we’re a better defense than both of them as well. Our run D seems to improve every week. 

Georgia is more talented. Their DL is more stout up front, but I agree. OU is a pretty cohesive unit. I would bet Sark comes out using shifts and motions consistently to test Georgia’s eye discipline. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a RB with a big game catching the ball with Mondon out at ILB. From my limited viewing the other LBs struggle in coverage. More empty looks, which Georgia has struggled against and perhaps the only thing Quinn looked completely in control of during RRS. That could simply be motioning Blue/Wisner out of the backfield 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hookem10 said:

FAFO GEORGIA 

thanks for all the responses from smarter ppl than me ,but what I meant about ewers was if I was Georgia I would smother all the intermediate and short throws. I would rather take the chance with him throwing over my head assuming he'll miss most of the time. hope they try and Quinn is on , cause the party will start early and we'll see arch in the fourth quarter please.  FAFO 

Fuckin A! Just scored a sweetheart deal on some tickets from a friend of a friend. Texas side, 10th row.

im horny jack nicholson GIF

Based on prices I'm seeing this afternoon, I doubt what we're paying would come close to covering the transaction fees for these tix at the  brokers. I f'n stoked.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1