Game week 2024, week 7 Georgia @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

You dont have to believe me but think of the context. Its 27-3 with under 6 minutes to play. There is no chance for an OU win. The game is over. This is when most coaches would look to protect their QB before a top 5 match-up. Sark calls Quinn's number on the goal line. Play he very rarely calls. It was either an incredibly stupid thing to do or he had a specific reason. Perhaps I am giving sark too much credit, but think it was brilliant

That hit seemed to get Ewers' juices flowing. Before it, I think he was a little scared that he'd re-injure something. He came away feeling 100% healthy, fired up and ready to join in the fray. Get some. Let's hope he comes out firing on Saturday Evening. A big performance and a big win would be amazing.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

Quinn ALWAYS plays gangster in big games. This won't be any different. He's steps big time, which is why I think we beat Georgia. Quinn will go ape shit and not let Texas down. He loves this university so much that he might go full on Goku or Naruto. 

Was the playoff game against Washington not a big game? How many chances did he have to get us the W in the end? Yes, Quinn has played well in most big games but it's not a guarantee. Let's see which Quinn shows up tomorrow.

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Was the playoff game against Washington not a big game? How many chances did he have to get us the W in the end? Yes, Quinn has played well in most big games but it's not a guarantee. Let's see which Quinn shows up tomorrow.

Quinn threw for 318 yards and ran for 54 yards against Washington. With no interceptions. 

Quinn wasn't spectacular but definitely good enough to win that game. It's not his fault our secondary couldn't cover anyone or that other players fumbled the ball twice. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 8

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Quinn threw for 318 yards and ran for 54 yards against Washington. With no interceptions. 

Quinn wasn't spectacular but definitely good enough to win that game. It's not his fault our secondary couldn't cover anyone. 

to be fair to the secondary, Penix was lights out and pinpoint accurate in that game. just unreal accuracy 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Quinn wasn't spectacular but definitely good enough to win that game. It's not his fault our secondary couldn't cover anyone or that other players fumbled the ball twice. 

He had 4 chances to throw a TD from 12 yards out. He didn't throw a single catchable pass. Can you imagine VY in that situation not scoring? He played well enough all game to win but the elite QBs win at the crunch time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

3 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

He had 4 chances to throw a TD from 12 yards out. He didn't throw a single catchable pass. Can you imagine VY in that situation not scoring? He played well enough all game to win but the elite QBs win at the crunch time.

Breaking news. 

One of the top 3 QBs in college football history was incredibly clutch. That doesn't deny that Ewers is also good and did enough to beat Washington. 

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

You get that negative juju outta here... stick your dick in an ant bed and count to 20 for bringing that shit here.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

You are a fat, whiney, sloppy ass pussy. Have some fucking self respect. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

to be fair to the secondary, Penix was lights out and pinpoint accurate in that game. just unreal accuracy 

This is what I remember. He hit some receivers that were well covered. Pinpoint throws that I hoped would wane as the game went on but never did.

24 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I mean VY had four chances to throw a TD from closer in than that with more time remaining and needed the fourth try to go "fuck it, I am just going to run it in."

Quinn didn't have that option.

And I am not dogging VY there, just saying throwing a TD in that situation isn't easy.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

This is what I remember. He hit some receivers that were well covered. Pinpoint throws that I hoped would wane as the game went on but never did.

Penix went 29 for 38 with no turnovers. He completed 12 straight at one point, the longest on-target streak in the CFP’s 10-year history. And he did it attacking down field as usual. He completed six passes of at least 20 yards, connecting with Rome Odunze six times for 125 yards and Ja’Lynn Polk five times for 122

This is good shit.  So we had the best DT combo perhaps in our history.  And remind me how many sacks did we get?  How many times did we hit the QB?  

Maybe it’s cause UW had a 1st round caliber QB.  Oh and a 1st round T.  What about that 1st round WR?  Another T drafted that I think may have already started an NFL game.  2 other WRs drafted.  The fastest TE at the NFL combine.  And a young C that could have named his next collegiate destination.

But to hell with the secondary cause they screwed it up for all of us.

Fact is none of our dudes played well enough to win.  Because we lost.   

But holy shit, the defenses task was considerably more difficult than the offenses.  And in spite of individual failings, we had 4 plays to win and didn’t.

• Hook 'Em 1

Absolutely fucking not. Saying it ironically to make fun of this conference is fine. Saying after Texas accomplishes something? Ha Ha Ha. We'll celebrate ourselves, not a bunch of hangers on, thank you very much. 
Big12 title game was a good place for it, and also against select SEC teams (aggy, maybe pig) but NOT while playing B1G, ACC or even ex Rig12 schools other than maybe tortilla tech...but hopefully they would need to be good enough to make the playoffs before we face them ever again.

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

There was also no small amount of uncalled holding by Wash and a blatant PI on the last pass in the endzone. Pretty hard for Adonai to catch that one with a db draped all over him and pulling down on his shoulder.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

#1 defense in the country.  Feeling pretty good about that side of the ball.  UGA will score some, but I don't see it being a shootout.

Definitely could use Bond, but he's listed as Questionable.  Thanks, Ewers, for being a vag, playing scared, and throwing your WR1 into an injury.

UGA probably wasn't going to let us take the top off anyway and Ewers can't throw a deep ball for shit, but Bond's speed would have been nice on the edges.

I think we're good if we just play fundamentally sound football.  Don't need heroics, just the absence of turnovers and bullshit.   

• Fuck You 13

I didn't even find it that heartbreaking. 
You know what I've found heartbreaking? The overall irrelevancy of this program from 1984 to 1997 and then again from 2010 to 2022. You know what I don't feel any more? Like this program is irrelevant any more. 
Hey, the OU game sucked last year, too, but is there anyone on here who can't feel like we've turned a corner? I know many of us feel snake bit. I do. But talking about last year as if it left a bad taste in your mouth. I don't get that. Last year was awesome. This year is more awesome. We're trending in the right direction by nearly every metric. 
I've watched a lot of football in my life, and it's amazing to me that with all the resources we have and the emphasis on fielding a winning football program so many people around the university share with me, that we've been so underachieving for so long. I'd watch our team and then I'd watch the best teams out there, and I'd so often think, "Geez, we're not even playing the same game they are."
Now I watch us play and then I watch other teams play - including Georgia - and I think, "I'm not sure they match up at every position. I'm not saying they couldn't win, but they have glaring deficiencies I don't think we have."
We're bigger. We're faster. We're more clutch. Our receivers rarely drop the ball. Our schemes play off of one another without getting so enamored with how tricky we can be, the way we did under Mackovic. We get receivers the ball while they're on the move, something I thought was written into the NCAA rules that Texas wasn't allowed to do. There's no more asinine Greg Davis play calling, or a high school coach having to come in and convince Mack Brown to maybe put Vince Young in shotgun and try running a little zone read. Our wide receivers are the best downfield blocking unit in the country. Our defenders never give up on a play. Our reserve wide receiver who is allergic to fair catches to the point I think he's going to get his head ripped off someday beat all 21 other players down the field to recover a critical fumble in the end zone. 
This team is really easy to root for. This coaching staff is really easy to root for. We have absolutely no quarterback controversy other than what's been manufactured by outsiders. We're recruiting lights out in the high school ranks and out of the portal. We have what may be the single biggest recruiting weekend in the school's history, which is hard to even imagine is possible. 
The student section is finally one contiguous group and isn't consigned to the corner of the east upper deck. The athletic department seems to understand the difference between making more money so the football team can win more rather than the other way around. NIL has completely negated the worst competitive disadvantage we've faced in our history by allowing us to have one of the biggest payrolls in college sports. 
This is our time. When is Washington going to be relevant again? Who gives a flying fuck about that game? Well, I do, admittedly. But it doesn't eat at me, because it feels like we have an opportunity as a program to possibly be in the mix every single year. Washington can't even keep their coach. OU can't keep their coach. Notre fucking Dame can't keep their coach. 
I'm so pumped for this game tomorrow. I feel like this is our time to shine, as a football program, as a fan base, as an institution. I'm going to revel in it. 
And Quinn Fucking Ewers is going to ball out and so is everyone else around him. 

This might be the post of the year.
  • Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, Hondo said:

#1 defense in the country.  Feeling pretty good about that side of the ball.  UGA will score some, but I don't see it being a shootout.

Definitely could use Bond, but he's listed as Questionable.  Thanks, Ewers, for being a vag, playing scared, and throwing your WR1 into an injury.

UGA probably wasn't going to let us take the top off anyway and Ewers can't throw a deep ball for shit, but Bond's speed would have been nice on the edges.

I think we're good if we just play fundamentally sound football.  Don't need heroics, just the absence of turnovers and bullshit.   

season 3 youre a fucking pussy GIF by Shameless

• Hook 'Em 5

25 minutes ago, Hondo said:

Georgia is 63rd in team passing efficiency defense.  They're also tied for 80th in sacks, which a football guru like you knows is a critical part of passing defense.  And Quinn has a history of connecting on bombs in big games -- see Tuscaloosa last year, etc.

Otherwise, solid post.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 1

Criticizing Sark’s handling of the QB room is astonishingly dumb
A) We have the best QB room in the country.
Ewers played like relative shit for one quarter last week. He’s still among the small group that can claim to be the best QB in the country. And that’s due to Sark’s faith in him. Sark’s decision to develop his QB is a feature, not a bug/blind spot. It’s hilarious that you’re still clinging to Casey Thompson and Hudson Card as saviors (if only Sark had the balls to put them in!)
There’s an entire discussion to be had about defensive evolution over the last couple years killing off elite QB play as we knew it for a decade, and how we should adjust expectations accordingly, but I don’t think it’s worth the time or effort to have that discussion with people that are proactively readying themselves to call for Arch at the first sign of struggle from Quinn. 
B) Let’s look at how some other freshmen across the B10/SEC are fairing in their first year starting
Dylan Raiola: Great against UTEP, Colorado, UNI, bad to mediocre since
Nico Iamaleava: Great against UTC, NC State, Kent, bad to mediocre since
Other guys like Aidan Chiles and Jackson Arnold have just been bad to mediocre.
Arch is now 2.5 games in. Right at the sweet spot for defenses to have film showing what he’s good at and what Sark wants to do with him, but before he’s learned how defenses will counter and how to handle that. He’s going to have growing pains and struggles soon. Personally, I’d rather give him garbage time snaps and another offseason to develop and minimize them, especially when the alternative is throwing him in front of Kirby Smart, a renowned defensive mind who showed off his ability to adjust and shut down a Heisman contender only 20 days ago.
C) Sark knows how to adjust to Quinn’s struggles
Quinn already went through the young QB pains. When Quinn struggles, Sark knows how to change the offense to lower our reliance on Quinn while still taking advantage of the things he does well. 
After the 1Q against OU, Sark took the game out of Quinn’s hands. Lots of runs and short passes, but also some of Quinn’s best intermediate concepts to keep the defense honest. He knows what to fall back on if needed (hint: it’s not Arch

What Heisman contender did they shut down 20 days ago? Cause Milroe lit them the fuck up.