Game week 2024, week 7 Georgia @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

14 hours ago, jet black said:

This game comes down to which Quinn shows up. I think we could still win a close game if we get last weeks Quinn, but we win easily with Michigan Quinn. 

Texas IMO loses by 2+ touchdowns if Quinn plays like he did in 1Q vs OU. Georgia has an offense that can capitalize on short fields and turnovers. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Texas loses by 2+ touchdowns if Quinn plays like he did in 1Q vs OU. 

It would be a one possession game late in the 4th.

but dumb hypothetical because he won’t.

Quinn has these off games occasionally but I can’t remember him ever following it up with another dud. On the contrary, he usually comes out and looks like a Heisman winner 

• Hook 'Em 3

The only big time game Quinn didn’t show up for was TCU in 2022. That was also a Sark wtf game. 

This team is far deeper on offense now. The OL is better than last year. Quinn is a better QB, if he goes down, we have a guy who is also more than capable of beating UGa.

The defense gets pressure and sacks, the secondary can hold up in coverage now. 

We don’t need world beater Quinn here, he just needs to make the plays that are made available to him and we will win if everyone else plays to the standard. 

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Texas IMO loses by 2+ touchdowns if Quinn plays like he did in 1Q vs OU. Georgia has an offense that can capitalize on short fields and turnovers. 

Now do first quarter, or first half, Beck against Alabama. 

If Georgia gets down 28, Simmons, Moore, Hill, Lefau, etc. are going to take Beck’s soul. 

• Hook 'Em 8

8 minutes ago, Atticus said:

The only big time game Quinn didn’t show up for was TCU in 2023. That was also a Sark wtf game. 

This team is far deeper on offense now. The OL is better than last year. Quinn is a better QB, if he goes down, we have a guy who is also more than capable of beating UGa.

We don’t need world beater Quinn here, he just needs to make the plays that are made available to him and we will win if everyone else plays to the standard. 

TCU was also a big time Jared Wiley giving the TCU coaches the playbook and signs game. 

McElroy picks UGA. One of the only prominent media members I've seen to do it. He mentions near the end he doesn't trust the Texas secondary yet (combo of it being the weakness last year and MSU being the best passing offense Texas has faced). However, his biggest concern is the loss of Texas' best coverage safety - Williams. I do agree it's a concern, and I haven't really heard it mentioned much throughout the national media. Texas can certainly win this game, and they should be favored at home, but we're about to find out how legit these pass rush and pass coverage units are.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Atticus said:

The only big time game Quinn didn’t show up for was TCU in 2023. That was also a Sark wtf game. 

15 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

The threw for 317 with a 9.6 average. 

2002, #4 TCU at home. Problems galore here. Not just Quinn.

2022, at #11 OSU. 19-49 for 329, 2 TDs, 3 INTs. Also a Sark WTF game. Quinn still threw for a lot, though. There were other compounding factors, as well.

We're very far removed from that season, though. Team has completely changed.

Edited by MuellerHorn

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

2022 guys, that TCU team last year was ass. 

That makes more sense. I was at that game. It was very fucking cold. And that was the part about it. 

Don't get me wrong, we struggled to close out TCU in 2023 because scoring in the second half is hard. But Quinn played well enough..

Previous Texas v Georgia games

1949 Orange Bowl Texas 41 Georgia 28 (Tom Landry rushes for 117 yards and 1 TD in his final game at UT)

Georgia in long sleeve red jerseys, Texas is in white: 

1957 Texas 26 Georgia 7 in Atlanta in DKR's first game as head coach at Texas (Texas was 1-9 in 1956) Texas in white again, I don't know bizarre crap Georgia is wearing.

1958 Texas 13 Georgia 8 in Austin (Texas beats Fran Tarkenton and Georgia despite completing one pass for 15 yards and averaging 2.7 yards per carry on 53 carries) Texas in burnt orange (presumably) and Georgia in white.

b6559fd3376f0023768479c0095b95c5.jpg

1984 Georgia 10 Texas 9 (viewer discretion is advised)

2019 Sugar Bowl Texas 28 Georgia 21 Texas knocks out Evander Elijah Holyfield...not literally. Bevo attacks UGA literally.

Texas has only ever played Georgia in Austin once and has never played in Athens, and given how SEC scheduling goes we still won't do those things very often.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The criticism about Texas not facing passing attacks is a mirror to last year, where our worse secondary did face more opponents. And it is not like everyone on the team is suddenly new. But overall they look better and the overall defense has held down opponents to -50% below their average ppg.

What Georgia brings is more depth than other opponents have had. But our averages are skewed because of the injuries and games getting out of hand with low enough scores.

And if Ewers stinks it up, it is not like Sark doesn’t have another option that can bring in a little more flash of athleticism to mitigate some of the youthful risk.

17 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

McElroy picks UGA. One of the only prominent media members I've seen to do it. He mentions near the end he doesn't trust the Texas secondary yet (combo of it being the weakness last year and MSU being the best passing offense Texas has faced). However, his biggest concern is the loss of Texas' best coverage safety - Williams. I do agree it's a concern, and I haven't really heard it mentioned much throughout the national media. Texas can certainly win this game, and they should be favored at home, but we're about to find out how legit these pass rush and pass coverage units are.

I like McElroy.  I think losing Williams is a concern because of depth and he's really good and physical against the run.  But I don't think he's anywhere close to our best safety in coverage.

I think Gerry H pointed out that Texas has pretty big advantage in coaching this game.  UGA has lost a lot of really good coaches and has replaced them with people who are not as good.  Many are guys whose strengths were dropping bags and not developing/coaching.  The coaching disparity has not really been discussed much. 

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is some really good analysis. If Quinn performs the entire game like he did in the first quarter he played after being out for a month with an injury, which would result in Quinn playing by far the worst game of his entire career, then Texas will probably lose. 

Do you have a newsletter I can subscribe to?

That analysis is too broad to be taken seriously. I hypothesize that if every throw he makes against UGA is as bad as the underthrow to Bond at the 10:23 mark in the first quarter against OU, we will lose.

10 minutes ago, Nivek said:

The criticism about Texas not facing passing attacks is a mirror to last year, where our worse secondary did face more opponents. And it is not like everyone on the team is suddenly new. But overall they look better and the overall defense has held down opponents to -50% below their average ppg.

What Georgia brings is more depth than other opponents have had. But our averages are skewed because of the injuries and games getting out of hand with low enough scores.

And if Ewers stinks it up, it is not like Sark doesn’t have another option that can bring in a little more flash of athleticism to mitigate some of the youthful risk.

But last year we were giving up oodles of yards to even the bad QBs we faced. It was legitimately a bad pass defense (that improved toward to the end of the year), particularly because guys just didn't seem to know their assignments. Honestly, it didn't look that much different from Georgia's pass defense so far this year. Talented individuals, but bad understanding of scheme,  individual coverage goofs, all combined with an inability to sack the QB. 

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Remember, 1Q OU Quinn was playing after almost a month off.  He got the rust out the rest of that game, and I think it's more likely than not we get Michigan Quinn back.

I'd like to point out that in 2022 Quinn came back and started the OU game after almost a month off and was kicking ass from the jump.

He's the most jekyll & hyde quarterback I've ever seen.  Usually he's stuck in either mode the entire game thankfully last Saturday he changed mid-game.

My primary concern is if he's in hyde mode will Sark have the balls to pull him before it's too late because he's screwed that decision up repeatedly (see: 2021 Arkansas (Card not QE), 2022 OSU, 2022 TCU, etc)

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

My primary concern is if he's in hyde mode will Sark have the balls to pull him before it's too late because he's screwed that decision up repeatedly (see: 2021 Arkansas (Card not QE), 2022 OSU, 2022 TCU, etc)

I think Manning has a higher ceiling than QE and I think Manning is already the best deep ball passer Texas has ever had.  But we've seen him struggle some in the short and intermediate passing game against shit defenses.  Again, I suggest everyone go back and watch 'The Film Guy' breakdown of the first quarter and OU's scheme that confused Quinn.  It was really solid and I'm betting they hadn't put it on film.  They had a bye week to coach it and it was executed really well.  I  don't think Manning would have fared much better those first few possessions.   Manning has yet to take a single snap against a quality defense and QE has taken a bunch over the last 3 seasons.  Absent injury or flat multi-turnover disastrous start where it's clear it got to his head, I don't see any chance Arch is playing even if we come out slow

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Kwix said:

Anyone that thinks Sark is pulling Quinn for performance related issues hasn't been paying attention.

That’s the worry, if bad Quinn shows up the whole first half the hole might be too deep.  Beck and Georgia will throw the ball downfield with some success at least.  We can’t have Quinn just dink and dunking, their defense is athletic enough to stop a lot of that.  He has to be able to throw downfield some in this game, if he can all should be good, if not we’re in trouble.  

Edited by Hook1997

24 minutes ago, Kwix said:

Anyone that thinks Sark is pulling Quinn for performance related issues hasn't been paying attention.

Oh I know and have been paying attention. It's one of his big blind spots... along with managing game clock, 4th down decisions, & when to defer vs receieve.

Sark does everything else and I mean everything else right and most teams won't ever be able to offset that just teams like Georgia can and we may wind up in FAFO mode.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pimphand said:

Oh I know and have been paying attention. It's one of his big blind spots... along with managing game clock, 4th down decisions, & when to defer vs receieve.

Playing through your starting QB having a rough start against a top tier defense after missing a month when your opponent has absolute shit for offense is a blind spot?  JFC

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Sark does everything else and I mean everything else right and most teams won't ever be able to offset that just teams like Georgia can and we may wind up in FAFO mode.

Are your objections to his 4th down decisions based on probability or your gut? Or something else?

What do you disagree with about Sarkisian’s view of deferring and receiving? Against Michigan, he made the decision so Texas would have the wind in the 4th if a field goal was needed. He clearly thinks about the ramifications. Why do you disagree?

20 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

That’s the worry, if bad Quinn shows up the whole first half the hole might be too deep.  Beck and Georgia will throw the ball downfield with some success at least.  We can’t have Quinn just dink and dunking, their defense is athletic enough to stop a lot of that.  He has to be able to throw downfield some in this game, if he can all should be good, if not we’re in trouble.  

You pull Ewers and you’re essentially pushing all your chips in on Manning not just for that game but maybe the season. You’d better be damned sure. 

Their secondary and its tackling are very suspect. Add in Texas’ skill players and it doesn’t get any better. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I like McElroy.  I think losing Williams is a concern because of depth and he's really good and physical against the run.  But I don't think he's anywhere close to our best safety in coverage.

I think Gerry H pointed out that Texas has pretty big advantage in coaching this game.  UGA has lost a lot of really good coaches and has replaced them with people who are not as good.  Many are guys whose strengths were dropping bags and not developing/coaching.  The coaching disparity has not really been discussed much. 

This is a pretty typical take. In the end he says Texas is executing better. Georgia is not, but he thinks a desperate Georgia puts it together vs Texas. Even people pickign Texas are worried that the "real" Georgia shows up and finally plays to their talent for 4Qs. The tape says it wont happen, but there is obviously a chance. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

The ou game?

The OU game last year is a great example why it would have been fucking stupid to pull Quinn after a rough start. 

After starting really badly with two picks and a fumble he finished 31-37 for 346 yards. His last real drive he got points and left the field with a lead. 

Edited by UncleSonny
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

Rece Davis is also picking UGA

Just now, UncleSonny said:

The OU game last year is a great example why it would have been fucking stupid to pull Quinn after a rough start. 

After starting really badly with two turnovers and a fumble he finished 31-37 for 346 yards. His last real drive he got points and left the field with a lead. 

I am not for a quick hook, but for me it is more about the footwork and pocket presence. I cant be sure, but I think Sark had had enough in the OU game. He ran Quinn late for the TD looking for him to get hit. Just so Quinn could realize he wouldnt break if he got hit.. 

• Hook 'Em 2