Game week 2024, week 7 Georgia @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

20 hours ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Every game is a battle in the trenches. As much as I love Sark's magic, Kyle Flood is the guy that changed everything at Texas. I try not to think of all the talented players we wasted over the years when the OL couldn't give them a chance. We cost a lot of kids serious NFL money with our ineptitude.

Nailed it.  When Sark brought Flood with him, everything changed….Flood/Sark made Bama the teams they were.  The fact that Flood would leave Saban to come to Texas with Sark, tells you that Flood highly respects Sark and that their future was at Texas.  Flood and Sark have done exactly what they planned on doing at Texas.  Love these guys!

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Not last week lord

Still WTF.  Explain your comment.  When has Sark had a "blind spot" as it relates to QB management?  2021 when he had to choose between 2 shitty QB's with a shitty OL to boot?  2022 when there is a need to get your future multi-year starter QB experience in a year you aren't competing for a national championship (and your backup is the shitty QB that couldn't win the job the year before)?  2023 OU game first quarter when your backup was MM??  If you want to talk about Sark getting aggressive on 4th down or not taking points, that is fair criticism, but I'm struggling to understand where he has a "blind spot" regarding QB management.  I mean if you want to say 2022 OSU or TCU games I guess there is an argument to made although I have zero faith Card could have performed better and I think any coach would tell you that you have to let your young QB's work through tough games.  You can't just pull a QB first sign of adversity.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, LonghornSean said:

Rece Davis is also picking UGA

Good. Bulletin board material

I fail to see why the “real” Georgia will suddenly show up in Austin. I think we’ve seen the real Georgia already - a pretty suspect defense and a good, not elite, offense 

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, Js1 said:

I think we’ve seen the real Georgia already - a pretty suspect defense and a good, not elite, offense 

Yep.  As a general rule, I think 6 games into the season you pretty much know a team.  That's this year's Georgia team.

This year's Texas team?  A great defense that, yes, will be facing its best offense so far, along with a great offense that has dominated with multiple weapons, regardless of the QB.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

You dont have to believe me but think of the context. Its 27-3 with under 6 minutes to play. There is no chance for an OU win. The game is over. This is when most coaches would look to protect their QB before a top 5 match-up. Sark calls Quinn's number on the goal line. Play he very rarely calls. It was either an incredibly stupid thing to do or he had a specific reason. Perhaps I am giving sark too much credit, but think it was brilliant

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, South Austin said:

Yep.  As a general rule, I think 6 games into the season you pretty much know a team.  That's this year's Georgia team.

This year's Texas team?  A great defense that, yes, will be facing its best offense so far, along with a great offense that has dominated with multiple weapons, regardless of the QB.

This Texas team has the highest point differential in D1 history and has given up only 1 td when the game was somewhat still in question. 

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

You pull Ewers and you’re essentially pushing all your chips in on Manning not just for that game but maybe the season. You’d better be damned sure. 

Their secondary and its tackling are very suspect. Add in Texas’ skill players and it doesn’t get any better. 

Agreed. I understand Sark’s dilemma with that.  Quinn just has to get the downfield passing going vs good teams with good quarterbacks or it will be an issue. This has to improve the rest of the year when he needs to and hopefully it does, he hasn’t attempted too many so far.  Last season, Ewers ranked 73rd (16-of-47 – 34%) in completion percentage of passes that traveled further than 20 yards.  

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

You dont have to believe me but think of the context. Its 27-3 with under 6 minutes to play. There is no chance for an OU win. The game is over. This is when most coaches would look to protect their QB before a top 5 match-up. Sark calls Quinn's number on the goal line. Play he very rarely calls. It was either an incredibly stupid thing to do or he had a specific reason. Perhaps I am giving sark too much credit, but think it was brilliant

Take a break from the board/football maybe. See if you can find Pepe Silvia instead.

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Codaxx said:

You dont have to believe me but think of the context. Its 27-3 with under 6 minutes to play. There is no chance for an OU win. The game is over. This is when most coaches would look to protect their QB before a top 5 match-up. Sark calls Quinn's number on the goal line. Play he very rarely calls. It was either an incredibly stupid thing to do or he had a specific reason. 

Or maybe Sark thought that OU thought that with Quinn coming off an injury Texas would either go short pass or a run with the RB in that position.  A designed QB run is more unexpected.  

That seems more likely than Sark saying to the staff in his headset, "You know what we really need right now?  A play for our starting QB to get hit by our biggest rival who might be looking for a cheap shot the week before Georgia.  Dial it up guys!"

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Agreed. I understand Sark’s dilemma with that.  Quinn just has to get the downfield passing going vs good teams with good quarterbacks or it will be an issue. This has to improve the rest of the year when he needs to and hopefully it does, he hasn’t attempted too many so far.  Last season, Ewers ranked 73rd (16-of-47 – 34%) in completion percentage of passes that traveled further than 20 yards.  

I don’t think he needs to pass more than 20 yards downfield when he can hit Bond, Wingo, Moore, Helm, etc. on the move and in space.

That said, and I haven’t actually counted up anything, but I get the impression that Ewers is now much better at the long ball toward the middle of the field rather than down the sideline. Some long posts or post-corners would work for me even if he struggles with the flies down the sideline like happened so many times with Worthy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, CastHorn said:

Yall are insane. There will be nothing easy about beating a squad like Georgia. They spotted Alabama 28 points and still took the go ahead lead in the 4th on the road. I may be wrong, but I’m preparing for a heavy weight matchup. 

Meh. We're better than Bama. I said it up thread - you give us a 4 TD lead you can go ahead and fire up the buses. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I am not for a quick hook, but for me it is more about the footwork and pocket presence. I cant be sure, but I think Sark had had enough in the OU game. He ran Quinn late for the TD looking for him to get hit. Just so Quinn could realize he wouldnt break if he got hit.. 

Yeah, that's why I thought he did it too. I hope it pays dividends tomorrow. 

10 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That was to boost Quinns confidence and put a potential threat on tape. No need to overanalyze it. Should have been done early in the game IMHO.

Edited by Longhornlove
  • Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

That’s the worry, if bad Quinn shows up the whole first half the hole might be too deep.  Beck and Georgia will throw the ball downfield with some success at least.  We can’t have Quinn just dink and dunking, their defense is athletic enough to stop a lot of that.  He has to be able to throw downfield some in this game, if he can all should be good, if not we’re in trouble.  

Sark has been scheming this game for the last 9 months.

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

It's one of his big blind spots... along with managing game clock, 4th down decisions, & when to defer vs receieve.

He received at Michigan because he wanted the wind in the fourth quarter. Valid reason. The OU game was the only other game he’s opted to receive in a long time and I’m still confused on if that was documented correctly because the ref turned to OU first after the coin was flipped.

The 4th down stuff is what it is. I don’t always agree with it but he’s consistent in the aggressive approach and I think people would be surprised how often analytics tell you to go for it in a game.

In terms of managing the clock, I see much worse every week around the country. Nothing he has done in that regard has been super egregious.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This is why this match up favors Texas. We are loaded at WR and Georgia’s secondary is bad. 

Everyone is talking about this being a battle in the trenches when reality the main factor in this game will be if Georgia can find a way to slow down our receivers. 

i think this game is even all around except for one thing:

gdgd was to mack as bobo is to kirby

and we have sark

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Even people pickign Texas are worried that the "real" Georgia shows up and finally plays to their talent for 4Qs. The tape says it wont happen, but there is obviously a chance. 

What's crazy (after the last 15 years and particularly with what Georgia has been) is if both teams played their best game I think Texas wins.  It's close but I like the Texas roster better top to bottom. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Meh. We're better than Bama. I said it up thread - you give us a 4 TD lead you can go ahead and fire up the buses. 

Not to mention blowing big leads and holding on to win is a DeBoer speciality

Up 21-7 versus Arizona, held onto win 31-24

Up 29-18 on Oregon, held onto win 36-33

Up 22-10 on ORST, held onto win 22-20

Up 20-3 on Oregon in the PAC 12 CCG, held onto win 34-31

Up 34-21 on Texas, held onto win 37-31

Up 30-7 on Georgia, held onto win 41-34

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He received at Michigan because he wanted the wind in the fourth quarter. Valid reason. The OU game was the only other game he’s opted to receive in a long time and I’m still confused on if that was documented correctly because the ref turned to OU first after the coin was flipped.

The 4th down stuff is what it is. I don’t always agree with it but he’s consistent in the aggressive approach and I think people would be surprised how often analytics tell you to go for it in a game.

In terms of managing the clock, I see much worse every week around the country. Nothing he has done in that regard has been super egregious.

I'm fine with receiving against Michigan to get favorable wind.  Receiving vs 2024 OU with a QB who has been out for 4 weeks was silly and it gave them momentum they had no business having thankfully they fucking suck and it didn't matter.

The clock stuff was pretty egregious in the B12 CCG and don't get me started about 2023 OU ;(

Agree with the rest

20 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Given how much they relished being in the SEC...

Given how much they loved that they "left Texas behind forever" in the Big Dumpster Fire conference...

Given how much they thought they had gotten out from under our shadow...

Given how much of a recruiting advantage they though they had on Texas as the only Texas school in the SEC... 

Given how much they sucked up to the other SEC schools and jerked off to Bama and LSU winning titles...

Given the way that they freaked the fuck out about us joining their conference... 

Given how they were forced to vote us in to the SEC... 

Given how they feel Snakey stabbed them in the back by letting Texas in...

Given the way that they were so self-assured that Texas couldn't handle the SEC grind, line of scrimmage league bullshit...

And if Texas winning that games puts us into the SEC championship game that they've never even sniffed and maybe knocks them out of the playoffs, and cements for them that big brother is back to torment the fuck out of them once and forever?

Yeah, I love a poooor aggies as much as anybody, but that SEC chant in their own building is going to sting like a motherfucker.

the only thing missing is the lamentation of their women sheep

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

thats almost turtle tom levels of blowing a lead 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He didn't have a big lead to blow against Vandy and SCAR 😂

"We almost came back against 2024 Bama" is not a flex.

Just now, BigHornedLurker said:

thats almost turtle tom levels of blowing a lead 

That was a huge knock on him when he was hired at Bama.  So yes, UGA had a big comeback at Bama, but that's pretty part for the course for DeBoer

9 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

There’s nothing wrong with the S-E-C chant if the time is right.  I can’t claim to be one that started it but I believe I was there when it was born.  It grew out of being force fed Miami’s bullshit hype for a few years and the whole Geno Torreta Heisman bandwagon in 1992.  Seems like there were about seven or eight minutes left in the Sugar Bowl and Bama fans were starting to realize it was going to happen.  Not only were we winning the title but we had pantsed the invincible Caines in the process.  We received literally one (1) vote in the AP poll all year, up to and including that week.  An Arizona writer in Tucson I think named Corky Frost started voting us #1 in October and continued it every week right through to the final poll, when it was unanimous.  He was invited to be grand marshal of the parade.  The chant started up in some remote psrt of the Superdome and it jusr caught on and kept building until it was a stomping, standing, yelling Victorygasm.  It didn’t hurt that Miami and Ericson had whipped our asses three years before and we were reminded of it constantly in the runup to the 92 game.  Sports Illustrated was the worst front runner Caines suck off douche.  I believe the chant has a time and a place.  That year, it fit.  This year, assuming you don’t trip on your foreskins in Nashville or aggyland, when Texas deflowers some unlucky team in the Mercedes Dome in Atlanta, it would be apropos as well to haul out the chant.  Year One SEC Champs - check

That might've been when it started, but it got ramped up the year Auburn was denied the title despite going undefeated, in 2004, when an overrated OU team instead got ass blasted by USC.

SEC pride became a thing from that point on, and the SEC has been given the benefit of the doubt ever since.

Edited by Rimbo

2 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

McElroy picks UGA. One of the only prominent media members I've seen to do it. He mentions near the end he doesn't trust the Texas secondary yet (combo of it being the weakness last year and MSU being the best passing offense Texas has faced). However, his biggest concern is the loss of Texas' best coverage safety - Williams. I do agree it's a concern, and I haven't really heard it mentioned much throughout the national media. Texas can certainly win this game, and they should be favored at home, but we're about to find out how legit these pass rush and pass coverage units are.

55 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Rece Davis is also picking UGA

Outside of Josh Pate, I haven’t seen a single talking head pick Texas. All of XM 84 has gone with Georgia. SEC Radio is giving it the nonsensical “Georgia is going to welcome Texas to the SEC the hard way!!”, especially from Doering, who of course picked Texas 6th in the SEC for the same dumb fucking SEC honk reasons. 

The cool pick this week is that whatever the “real” Georgia is, that group is showing up this weekend and they’re going to run boss in Austin. I’m guessing everyone but Scheffler picks Georgia on Gameday tomorrow. Get Nick Saban going with the self-serving trope of “someone besides Bama is going to have to beat Georgia before I pick against them.” Right. 

• Hook 'Em 7

7 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

This is some weak ass Aggie sauce, they don’t give out trophies for hypothetical victories, injuries are part of the game and Texas lost a national title and at home to Bama. We don’t own Bama, and if your trying to use example from 50+ years ago when those coaches are dead and the players in nursing homes to support your argument, that’s a living in the past and a loser mentality in itself. Our goal going forward should be to build Texas into a juggernaut to kill other programs, but let’s not lie to ourselves about what Saban and Bama were. Because here’s the truth, in his run Saban and Bama racked up more hardware than the Texas football program has in its entire history, our goal should be to get to the level dominance that they have enjoyed for the last 15 years.

Star Trek Spock GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

The S-E-C chant should be relegated to the identity politics of the conference’s coat tail programs that want to live vicariously through the conference’s “real” powers.  It should never be chanted at Texas, Bama, Georgia, LSU (and maybe Florida one day when they figure their shit out).  It should be a chant for the “never-wills” in College Station, Nashville, Columbia, etc

fuck em, those pissant programs can chant it all they want... they're going to need it after we run this shit

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Remember, 1Q OU Quinn was playing after almost a month off.  He got the rust out the rest of that game, and I think it's more likely than not we get Michigan Quinn back.

AND he was playing against a defense that lives and breathes disguised coverages.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Outside of Josh Pate, I haven’t seen a single talking head pick Texas. All of XM 84 has gone with Georgia. SEC Radio is giving it the nonsensical “Georgia is going to welcome Texas to the SEC the hard way!!”, especially from Doering, who of course picked Texas 6th in the SEC for the same dumb fucking SEC honk reasons. 

The cool pick this week is that whatever the “real” Georgia is, that group is showing up this weekend and they’re going to run boss in Austin. I’m guessing everyone but Scheffler picks Georgia on Gameday tomorrow. Get Nick Saban going with the self-serving trope of “someone besides Bama is going to have to beat Georgia before I pick against them.” Right. 

Every pick for Georgia I've seen/heard requires Texas to do something we haven't seen (bad pass defense) coupled with Georgia doing something we also haven't seen (finally playing to their roster on Defense).

• Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Klatt likes Texas.  I don't know if he's done an official pick on whatever platform he's on, but he picked Texas when talking with the ticket in Dallas this week.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Klatt likes Texas.  I don't know if he's done an official pick on whatever platform he's on, but he picked Texas when talking with the ticket in Dallas this week.

Big Cat on Barstool likes us a lot and got the other dudes including Portnoy to jump on board. 

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

I'd like to point out that in 2022 Quinn came back and started the OU game after almost a month off and was kicking ass from the jump.

He's the most jekyll & hyde quarterback I've ever seen.  Usually he's stuck in either mode the entire game thankfully last Saturday he changed mid-game.

My primary concern is if he's in hyde mode will Sark have the balls to pull him before it's too late because he's screwed that decision up repeatedly (see: 2021 Arkansas (Card not QE), 2022 OSU, 2022 TCU, etc)

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

Oh I know and have been paying attention. It's one of his big blind spots... along with managing game clock, 4th down decisions, & when to defer vs receieve.

Sark does everything else and I mean everything else right and most teams won't ever be able to offset that just teams like Georgia can and we may wind up in FAFO mode.

Criticizing Sark’s handling of the QB room is astonishingly dumb

A) We have the best QB room in the country.

Ewers played like relative shit for one quarter last week. He’s still among the small group that can claim to be the best QB in the country. And that’s due to Sark’s faith in him. Sark’s decision to develop his QB is a feature, not a bug/blind spot. It’s hilarious that you’re still clinging to Casey Thompson and Hudson Card as saviors (if only Sark had the balls to put them in!)

There’s an entire discussion to be had about defensive evolution over the last couple years killing off elite QB play as we knew it for a decade, and how we should adjust expectations accordingly, but I don’t think it’s worth the time or effort to have that discussion with people that are proactively readying themselves to call for Arch at the first sign of struggle from Quinn. 

B) Let’s look at how some other freshmen across the B10/SEC are fairing in their first year starting

Dylan Raiola: Great against UTEP, Colorado, UNI, bad to mediocre since

Nico Iamaleava: Great against UTC, NC State, Kent, bad to mediocre since

Other guys like Aidan Chiles and Jackson Arnold have just been bad to mediocre.

Arch is now 2.5 games in. Right at the sweet spot for defenses to have film showing what he’s good at and what Sark wants to do with him, but before he’s learned how defenses will counter and how to handle that. He’s going to have growing pains and struggles soon. Personally, I’d rather give him garbage time snaps and another offseason to develop and minimize them, especially when the alternative is throwing him in front of Kirby Smart, a renowned defensive mind who showed off his ability to adjust and shut down a Heisman contender only 20 days ago.

C) Sark knows how to adjust to Quinn’s struggles

Quinn already went through the young QB pains. When Quinn struggles, Sark knows how to change the offense to lower our reliance on Quinn while still taking advantage of the things he does well. 

After the 1Q against OU, Sark took the game out of Quinn’s hands. Lots of runs and short passes, but also some of Quinn’s best intermediate concepts to keep the defense honest. He knows what to fall back on if needed (hint: it’s not Arch

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

SEC honks are circling the wagons. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Who gives a fuck what some fuckhead says.

All 4 coaches who have faced Georgia or Texas this year picked Texas.

Each coach picked Texas to win.

“I’ll take the Longhorns, but it’ll be a tight game,” the FBS assistant said. “Georgia will be super physical.”

Said the SEC assistant: “It’s going to come down to who takes care of the ball and who creates the most explosive plays.”

Another thing they all agreed upon? Texas’ status as No. 1.

“Texas, to me, is the best team in college football right now,” the SEC scouting director said. “They’ve been dominant on both sides of the ball, and it’s tough to see another team that’s superior to them right now.”

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5852274/2024/10/18/georgia-texas-preview-scouting-report-prediction/

Fuck them, too!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1