Comet Tsuchinshan-ATLAS

RamjetFDO

9 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

Going to try and catch it tomorrow night. Everything I read suggests that it will be dimming steadily as it moves higher in the sky, so I'm not sure if viewing is going to get any better than it is now.

That is correct ... "best viewing" will be sooner-rather-than-later, so don't wait too long!

• Hook 'Em 2

I found it easily with binoculars. Was pretty cool. But most importantly I wanted my kids to see it so I figured out the best landmarks on the ground to have them use as a reference position. 

My kids walked outside and I was prepared to walk them through exactly how to find it. "Oh yeah, there it is! That's cool".

Young eyes I guess.

Good Talk Russ GIF by Winkel

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It's incredible what phone cameras can image now. With the naked eye I could barely see a smudge, and that only with slightly averted vision. Looked decent in binocs though.

I wish the Austin metro area and surrounding suburbs had some rigorous light pollution restrictions but people would never go for that. But not every gas station, car dealership, and store parking lot needs to be lit up like it's high noon on Mercury.

• Hook 'Em 4