Covers Good and Bad

RollLeft

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

I complained about people covering the Cranberries in one of the threads, because O’Riordan’s vocal make every Cranberries song. This is really good though -

Holy shit, that guy's voice!  I've heard a couple of their songs on radio and liked them, but now I'm really going to pay attention.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Holy shit, that guy's voice!  I've heard a couple of their songs on radio and liked them, but now I'm really going to pay attention.

Yeah they just popped up on my radar from this cover that’s a little viral. I’ve been listening today and I’m into it. This is another cover and yeah it’s the vocals

One thing I noticed on that Cranberries cover is the impeccable tuning on the guitar.  I mean, I can get that the vocals might be auto-tuned, but that's a little more difficult on a guitar.  Really well done.

Glen Campell's daughter, Ashley Campbell,  is gorgeous and talented and Carl Jackson is one of those musicians who can shred on any stringed instrument, including, as he does here, guitar.  This is one of the greatest country songs ever written.

It's an odd observation, but Ashley Campbell may have the most flawless skin I've ever seen.

When Joe Ely and Uncle Tupelo take on Waylon Jennings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Glen Campell's daughter, Ashley Campbell,  is gorgeous and talented and Carl Jackson is one of those musicians who can shred on any stringed instrument, including, as he does here, guitar.  This is one of the greatest country songs ever written.

Forget his playing, his singing is stellar.  What a voice.

I don't really know where to put this, but since it's basically "Blues In E", I'll put it here.

Disclaimer:  I am a huge fan of both Eddie Van Halen and Brian May.  Both advanced rock guitar in important and distinct ways.  "Virtuoso" and "genius" are overused words, but not when it comes to those two guys.

That said, this is terrible.  The rhythm section sounds like three amateurs jamming at an open mic, and the twin, incessant, rambling guitar solos point to a shocking ignorance of the blues idiom.  The number of clams is laughable, and then we get to the keyboard solo.  Holy shit.  I'll say no more about that.  The whole thing goes Monty Python when the keyboardist apparently doesn't realize everyone else has stopped playing, so the "band" slowly eases back in with a more uptempo but equally cringeworthy vamp.  Either that, or they inadvisably glued two separate takes together.  Whatever.  Grab your earplugs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...