2024 - 2025 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread - This time we're not happy to just be here.

gsoda3

It's almost here. We host Wemby on Thursday 10/24 for the season opener - odd start time of 6:30p.  

Special games of note

Thanksgiving Wednesday 11/27 6:30p - We host NYK, will Brunson actually play this time?

Christmas Day 1:30p - We host the Timberwolves.  Someone's going to be looking for revenge.  

New Year's Day 7pm - We're in Houston.

Saturday Jan 25, 2025 4:30p - In Dallas, first game against the Celtics. 

Thursday Feb 6, 2025 6:30p - In Boston.  Has Kyrie exorcised those demons?

We start a brutal stretch of games immediately after the ASB.  Thirteen games from Feb 21 to Mar 16 without more than a day's break in between.  Our opponents during that stretch? NO, GS, LAL, Cha, Mil 2x, Sac, Mem, Phx, SAS 2x, Hou, Phi.  

On the flipside we have a decent last 10 games to end the season.  NYK, Orl, Chi, Bkn, Atl, LAC 2x back to back, LAL, Tor, Mem.

The season hinges on:

- How healthy will Luka be going into the playoffs?

- Can Kyrie stay healthy?

- Does the Klay experiment work?

- Will our team collectively take a step forward and be able to maintain the cohesiveness displayed last season post ASB through the playoffs?

- Will THjr be our third scorer?*

- Are QG and Naji > THj and DJj?

I'm excited to see:

- Individual improvement:  namely Lively and especially Hardy.  Towards the end of last season I saw glimpses of Hardy that reminded me of Brunson right before he went on his playoff run.

- Nico: He's a wizard and what I appreciate most is his decisiveness to act when he knows something doesn't work or he sees something he wants.  

- Excited probably isn't the word.  Anxious.  I'm anxious to see if Jason Kidd can steer this ship.  

*lol so glad that's behind us

• Hook 'Em 3

My random thoughts:

You had me with the THJ third scorer. 

I don’t love our depth at SF/PF

Would love to see Hardy get more minutes and make a big leap as a legit 6th man type

I am tempted to buy a Lively jersey but that usually doesn’t work out well for the player so I won’t put the jinx on him

Does Maxi have anything to contribute or is he washed? Same for Spencer

I hope Klay can regain some of his glory and be a killer from 3

What shape/condition will Luka be at the start of the season

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/16/2024 at 10:28 PM, RexWilson said:

I don’t love our depth at SF/PF

We have tremendous depth at SF. Agreed on PF but strongly suspect we will spend a lot of time playing small ball with Gaff/Lively at the 5. Like Klay at 3 and PJ at 4. 

Good luck with your Lively jersey wearing, Fake Rex. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Two things:

1) This is the second most talented Mavs roster ever (behind 87-88). Like that team, the best two players are head cases, but in much more benign and far less toxic. This team also doesn’t have to face the best Lakers team ever to get to the finals or the 87-88 Celtics if they make it. 

2) MFFL

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/19/2024 at 1:06 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Two things:

1) This is the second most talented Mavs roster ever (behind 87-88). Like that team, the best two players are head cases, but in much more benign and far less toxic. This team also doesn’t have to face the best Lakers team ever to get to the finals or the 87-88 Celtics if they make it. 

2) MFFL

I don't think Luka's a head case, just immature.  

The MavsTV thing is great.  Unfortunately Austin's not included, so not only do we not get an over the air station to broadcast these games but we can't even stream from MavsTV.  Ironically MavsTV is charging $125 per season to stream whereas NBA League Pass only costs $90 to stream (one team only).

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

The MavsTV thing is great.  Unfortunately Austin's not included, so not only do we not get an over the air station to broadcast these games but we can't even stream from MavsTV

I’m going to try to figure out a way to find a stream of one of those HD channels, but SURELY they could find an Austin HD station to carry it.

On 10/22/2024 at 8:56 AM, ITHorn said:

Very excited to see QG bully guys on the perimeter. Wish we could have locked up his extension but if he plays his way into a fat deal it probably means Dallas has gone pretty deep into playoffs again.

Totally forgot we picked him and Naji Marshall up this offseason. Damn this could be a fun year.