Souf Carolina at OU SECN

WBT

For as long as I've watched college football I don't think I've ever seen a team lacking discipline as much as this OU team on the field right now. Reminds me a little bit of the Charlie Strong era in Austin except Venables has won multiple national championships. That comparison should not be well taken but it's well deserved at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, HRSchenker said:

For as long as I've watched college football I don't think I've ever seen a team lacking discipline as much as this OU team on the field right now. Reminds me a little bit of the Charlie Strong era in Austin except Venables has won multiple national championships. That comparison should not be well taken but it's well deserved at this point.

The team literally trampled him on the field. I don’t think it was an accident.  

19 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

their D is just putrid.  It is funny though, in NIL era you might have teams quit more often as everyone says "doesn't matter I'm out of here anyway" instead of pulling together to right the ship.  coaches will get tuned out...

17 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I tend to agree with this.  The days of a 3-3 team rallying to get to 8-4 and a decent bowl, with something to build on for next year, might be gone.

Good luck to a team of quitters on finding their next payday in the portal 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

5 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

lol largest halftime deficit at home since John Blake era

some rare company there Venables

Blake was a much better recruiter. Venables won’t leave the roster Blake left behind. 

What’s their financial situation? Venables’ buyout is a shade under $45 million. I don’t think he’ll settle or give them a hometown discount because he knows he’s done coaching. I think they’ll call Heupel, but he’ll be very expensive. 

5 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I don’t want to defend the guy, but Strong has rings from his Florida DC days. Just like Venables. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Blake was a much better recruiter. Venables won’t leave the roster Blake left behind. 

What’s their financial situation? Venables’ buyout is a shade under $45 million. I don’t think he’ll settle or give them a hometown discount because he knows he’s done coaching. I think they’ll call Heupel, but he’ll be very expensive. 

I agree they'll call Heupel, and he'll take it out of history and professional courtesy, but is that realistically anything more than a lateral move and completely starting over?  I don't know why he'd want it.

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I agree they'll call Heupel, and he'll take it out of history and professional courtesy, but is that realistically anything more than a lateral move and completely starting over?  I don't know why he'd want it.

Agreed. Tennessee probably has more money? Definitely a wealthier and more organized NIL Collective. Haslam isn’t at Phil Knight's level, but the man loves taking a torch to his cash. 

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don’t want to defend the guy, but Strong has rings from his Florida DC days. Just like Venables. 

Charlie was also a head coach who won a BCS game at Louisville. Venables was a pure gamble. 

Edited by mdmost

7 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

He was treated pretty poorly by the administration and BMD when he was there before. Would OU objectively be more than a lateral move at this point?

20 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I tend to agree with this.  The days of a 3-3 team rallying to get to 8-4 and a decent bowl, with something to build on for next year, might be gone.

I think you will see it, but only on teams where the players have truly bought into the coach and the system.

Ousux isn't in that place.