Texas vs Georgia - 6:30pm on ABC

Pancho

Not sure why I'm so calm after this game, as I was completely amped up all week thinking we were gonna play well and win tonight. 

The lack of any real competition halfway through the season did indeed bite us in the ass. Michigan D is good but they didn't disguise much and made life fairly easy for Quinn. He struggled last week and we assumed it was rust. Sark didn't adjust in time and panicked with pulling Quinn early. Hopefully lessons are learned. We can easily win out. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Just now, OU Sucks said:

If we re-matched against UGA, I have no doubt Sark would scheme better, but could Quinn actually execute the gameplan?  Not so sure about that.  He couldn't even hit the checkdown half the time with pressure on him tonight.

Yeah, once he gets shook he stays shook.  Dude was missing throws all over the field last week versus OU and tonight.  

I'm honestly worried a bit about next week with Vandy.  They're going to be spitting fire ready to get another huge upset and Quinn could just as easily fold like a cheap tent again.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

No, your posts show your lack of brain cells. Anyone can pander to the crowd and appear holier than thou. I questioned the assertion that Quinn always shows up in big games when it was going to be an unpopular opinion and you followed up with a long ass post telling us we just can't be happy and that this team was different and that UGA had no chance. You were popular but spectacularly wrong. 

Sounds like your feelings were hurt. 

I don't remember ever saying Georgia has no chance. What I remember saying is that the program is in a different place than it used to be. But remind me which post of mine made you feel like I fucked you in the ass without even a reach around. I don't remember even thinking about you with any of my posts, so I have no idea what you're talking about. 

Just now, Tx_2_Sc85 said:

Fwiw I also don’t think Quinn gets benched. But they better start figuring out the running game, Quinn isn’t built to carry the offense. Be better off with him as a game manager. 

I would also expect that while Arch probably has the rawer pure talent and athleticism, just by logistics alone he probably doesn't grasp Sark's offense as totally as Quinn does yet. Quinn has has 3 years of reps with the first string. I think when Arch is Quinn's age he'll probably be much better and complete.

I do think playing with emotion matters. Vince Young got pissed and we won a title.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

arch in the future... should have let him get reps in against a top defense 

Yep. We could have won that game. Woulda been a great comeback, but a devastatiing blow to Quinn's ego. OTH, Quinn would have celebrated with everyone when Arch crosses the goal line with 0.00 on the clock. Woulda coulda

26 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Disagree.  Tom Brady wasn't winning this game with our line against theirs.

Maybe you’re right. But the last several drives showed a complete lack of ability by Ewers to make a play. Hai throws err bad. He was skittish and panicked and let’s the pocket early. 

they should have stuck with arch, not saying for the whole year. But at least THIS game. 

Just now, 6th Street said:

We play like we did tonight and we could lose to UK, Ark, and A&M.

Well, the first half. 

Arkansas and A&M we'll be facing jihads. Kentucky won't inherently play us tougher than they would anyone else. 

I'll also say that none of those teams have the roster that Georgia has. But it was a sobering result tonight for sure. 

22 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Why in the fuck did Blue not get more carries, especially in the 1st half? When we abandoned rhe run in the 2nd quarter, the game was over

I think Sark is scared because of the fumbles. But damn he catches out of the backfield better than Tre. 

I think you have to ride Blue more obviously and even get Gibson some carries. Just run the damn ball some and keep the defense honest. Their DEs are crashing way upfield and will get smoked if we run draw or if we have a QB that can step up in the pocket and deliver a strike. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Not sure why I'm so calm after this game, as I was completely amped up all week thinking we were gonna play well and win tonight.

Likely because despite it being an ass whipping Texas still could have actually won the game if they executed in just a few moments better, and the 12 team playoff makes a single loss sting less, and we could have a chance at revenge against Georgia in a month.

Duke. Bleh. That's where he got his master's. I think he went to undergrad at UNC or some shit. Bring a Duke fan should be a roundhouse kick

Oh ok then well deserved. I worked with a Duke grad once and she couldn’t tell you anything without mentioning it.

And somehow she was an idiot. A mechanical engineer who once asked me, what the units for RPM were.

Someone who works for a helicopter company.

Wtf.
  • Rage+1 2

I truly doubt we win anything of substance with Quinn Ewers as our QB. We have 3 years of evidence of him either playing lights out or completely like shit. He put us in a hole for 2 quarters. The defense could only do so much. The benching was about the only thing to light a fire under him. Yes, the OL sucked but you've got to make something happen when that's the case and Quinn can never do that. Not having a running game finally caught up with us and Wisner also is massively at fault for the first quarter. If he catches that pass in the first quarter, it is a totally different game. But he didn't and we instead were terrible. I hate that we didn't show up for the first big opponent we faced this season. Yes, we have a lot to play for but today was a measuring stick game and we came in way below where we thought we were. Just keep winning and maybe you'll play Georgia again but I don't know what Quinn will show up that game either. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Maybe you’re right. But the last several drives showed a complete lack of ability by Ewers to make a play. Hai throws err bad. He was skittish and panicked and let’s the pocket early. 

they should have stuck with arch, not saying for the whole year. But at least THIS game. 

You can’t go back to Ewers if you let arch ride out the came and it winds up competitive.

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

Sounds like your feelings were hurt. 

I don't remember ever saying Georgia has no chance. What I remember saying is that the program is in a different place than it used to be. But remind me which post of mine made you feel like I fucked you in the ass without even a reach around. I don't remember even thinking about you with any of my posts, so I have no idea what you're talking about. 

Sorry, I don't mean to take out my anger on you. I am too lazy or care less to go and find old posts. In the gameweek thread, someone said Quinn always showed up in big games. I replied saying not completely true because he failed to get us the TD in 4 attempts against UW. Then I get neg repped and then I think I saw your post where you painted a picture of everything being so rosy. It kinda pissed me off that some fans won't acknowledge Quinn's obvious deficiencies when it should have been obvious. Let's move on.

1 minute ago, Jkwellborn said:

Oh, Banks got beat some. But the tackle can’t take the rusher deep to go past the qb, then the qb just stays there.

NFL scouts are not going to mistake Ewers mistakes for the offensive line mistakes. They will see how Banks was getting beat and grade his performance based on what he did not Quinn.

3 minutes ago, Pods said:

Quinn doesn't want to get hit and the offensive line looked like they do want him to get hit.

Wisner dropping a likely TD was killer. That was a pretty play, every one else executed it, and the rails came off afterwards. 

seriously, that play was fucking beautiful and Ewers did everything but run down there and hand the ball to him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

13 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Barron picked the ball off and returned it to the Georgia 10. Refs called PI. Terrible call, and the fans went apeshit. 

Students started throwing shit on the field, and they had to pause the game for about five minutes. When they came back, the refs discussed it, picked up the flag, and gave Texas the ball on the Georgia 10.

I’ve never seen anything like that before.

I was at the game, what did the refs say when the picked it up? We couldn’t hear shit at that point. 

Someone talk me off the ledge here. But this loss has my confidence in this team completely shook. First, had a historically terrible first half. To put in perspective how shit it was, tonight Texas had 38 yds in the first half. In the 2014 Texas bowl against Arkansas, they finished the first half with 37 yards. Our “bad asses” on the O-Line looked like (at times) a team from the Valley or El Paso in the 6A playoffs. Completely outmatched and outclassed. 

Second, Sark’s decision making and personnel choices tonight were questionable in the sense of “how does he not see this?” It was clear early on we weren’t going the corner on that defense, yet had some success between the tackles and running counter. The fact that Gibson (a strong physical runner) didn’t get not a single carry is negligent.

Defense played really well other than one long drive. I was happy with what I saw from that unit.

In conclusion, this felt like we were the Oklahoma playoff teams of the 2010s. They seemed to have better athletes in the trenches, more physical in the running game, and outmatched in the pass rush. Our level feels like can beat the Florida’s, Arkansas’, etc. But when the Horns lineup against a true contender just overmatched in the trenches. Not being able to impose yourself in the run game when you have a “dominant” Offensive Line, to me, means that you don’t have a dominant offensive line. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Tailgate said:

We will not make the playoffs with QE at QB.

I disagree. 

And I say that fully believing that Arch will be better than Quinn has ever been when he starts the opener next year. But Quinn with all his legitimate faults is the better option right now, and we won't face another team this year that will be as good as Georgia's defense tonight. 

It's another hard lesson for Sark. I think (hope?) we will be better after tonight. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

so now it was mediocre oline play, fucking moron

I didn't say our line was mediocre. I said good play calling can overcome (even) a mediocre line. Sark didn't get the memo. The Offensive Line isn't the problem. They'll be fine. It was play calling and especially, pathetic quarterbacking. A good D threw new shit at us and our coaches didn't respond quickly enough (which seems to be a pattern). that's all.

Just wanted to say again, if we kicked FGs on every 4th down in scoring territory that we didn't convert, then we would have been playing for the lead at the end, not the first of two tds to tie. Sark really, really needs to learn to kick FGs. I can't believe how many coaches we have had that are bad at that. Ironically Mack Fucking Brown was the only coach who understood the importance of kicking, and we won so many fucking games at the last second with them.

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, RoyalBevo21 said:

Someone talk me off the ledge here. But this loss has my confidence in this team completely shook. First, had a historically terrible first half. To put in perspective how shit it was, tonight Texas had 38 yds in the first half. In the 2014 Texas bowl against Arkansas, they finished the first half with 37 yards. Our “bad asses” on the O-Line looked like (at times) a team from the Valley or El Paso in the 6A playoffs. Completely outmatched and outclassed. 

Second, Sark’s decision making and personnel choices tonight were questionable in the sense of “how does he not see this?” It was clear early on we weren’t going the corner on that defense, yet had some success between the tackles and running counter. The fact that Gibson (a strong physical runner) didn’t get not a single carry is negligent.

Defense played really well other than one long drive. I was happy with what I saw from that unit.

In conclusion, this felt like we were the Oklahoma playoff teams of the 2010s. They seemed to have better athletes in the trenches, more physical in the running game, and outmatched in the pass rush. Our level feels like can beat the Florida’s, Arkansas’, etc. But when the Horns lineup against a true contender just overmatched in the trenches. Not being able to impose yourself in the run game when you have a “dominant” Offensive Line, to me, means that you don’t have a dominant offensive line. 

It's one loss.

Shake it off and get better like we did after Dallas last year.

• Hook 'Em 1

Seemed pretty clear that georgia was the 1st team Texas has played that could match their speed.  It did not look like the Horns were expecting it, and more importantly could not adjust to it.  Texas seemed to be half a step behind what georgia was going, especially on the OL, but also at WR.  Horns looked like they were Cadillac-ing when they need to be Corvette-ing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I said the same thing last year after the OU game and the sky was falling with everyone. 

Mark it down. Quote me. Make a wager. Don’t care. We will not lose another regular season game this year. The only diff is this year the conf championship will be for a bye or 5/6 seed. 

We will be in the playoffs though 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

A QB who's a statue while reading coverages is raw meat to a great DL. There aren't many pure pocket passers left in the game, and tonight we saw why. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

I would also expect that while Arch probably has the rawer pure talent and athleticism, just by logistics alone he probably doesn't grasp Sark's offense as totally as Quinn does yet. Quinn has has 3 years of reps with the first string. I think when Arch is Quinn's age he'll probably be much better and complete.

I do think playing with emotion matters. Vince Young got pissed and we won a title.

I don't think it was Vince Young getting pissed that won a title. He was pretty talented, too.

This idea we're supposed to use Vince Young as a realistic bench mark for any quarterback is silliness. It's almost certain we'll never see his like again. Teams win national championships without having Vince Young on their team every year. 

What I know is that people are constantly questioned if they can win a championship until they actually win one. I can't say I've ever been a huge Quinn Ewers fan, but when he's on, I like the mastery he shows of the offense. When he's off, he looks like a liability.

But it's not like Carson Beck looked amazing tonight. Some people kept saying the key of the game was who played the best between Beck and Ewers. They both looked like ass to me at times. The Georgia defense looked like the Georgia defense I watched for several years. Not the shadow of themselves I've watched most of this year. That to me was the difference in the game. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1