Game Week 2024, Week 8, Texas @ Vandy

Wulaw Horn

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

I think our defense is too good for that, unless we are allowing short fields the whole game again.

Yeah the offense absolutely can not continue putting the defense in a terrible position.  And, I don't believe they will.  Vanderbilt isn't Georgia and doesn't have Georgia's athletes, even if they are as fired up and focused as Georgia was two days ago.

• Hook 'Em 1

One of the things that bothers me about the Georgia game is I think we could have pulled it out if we had recognized that this was going to be a defensive struggle and settled down to run the ball and play conservative on offense and played for field position. Sometimes you are just going to be in games like that. And we seemed unable to do that. That is concerning, we need to be able to adapt when the other team is able to dictate a different sort of game.

But then our kicking game clearly sucks so that might have influenced not doing that.

But I really think our defense might have won that game if we had just cooled it and been satisfied to grind out first downs and not be afraid to punt if necessary. And maybe even kick field goals.

But I don't think Vandy will put us in that position. But somebody else might, especially in the post season.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

One of the things that bothers me about the Georgia game is I think we could have pulled it out if we had recognized that this was going to be a defensive struggle and settled down to run the ball and play conservative on offense and played for field position. Sometimes you are just going to be in games like that. And we seemed unable to do that. That is concerning, we need to be able to adapt when the other team is able to dictate a different sort of game.

But then our kicking game clearly sucks so that might have influenced not doing that.

But I really think our defense might have won that game if we had just cooled it and been satisfied to grind out first downs and not be afraid to punt if necessary. And maybe even kick field goals.

But I don't think Vandy will put us in that position. But somebody else might, especially in the post season.

I think that we had gotten used to being able to get away with slow offensive starts this year. Georgia was really the first team that we played that was capable of making us pay for starting off slow on offense. 

23 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

While the loss to GA certainly stings as the offense was completely exposed, I do think that this is a game Texas wins running away. Texas is always at its worse when it has been sniffing own farts and all of the clingers on come out of woodwork. Seeing folks like Joe Rogan on sideline last night who have zero association with UT highlights this "celebrity culture" that always seems to fuck this program up in past.

I am flying out for Vandy game and I think we will see an angry, hungry, pissed off Longhorn team look to put a beatdown on Vandy. Get back to "Texas vs Everybody" mindset

Rogan was there because of Hinchcliffe who is a big Ohio St. honk.  Rogan does not give a single fuck about football or sports in general.  If we are gonna blame someone for him being there it would be Hinchcliffe or the Undertaker.

5 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Rogan was there because of Hinchcliffe who is a big Ohio St. honk.  Rogan does not give a single fuck about football or sports in general.  If we are gonna blame someone for him being there it would be Hinchcliffe or the Undertaker.

Not blaming, just highlighting when Texas goes full celebrity culture and has a bunch of unaffiliated folks on sideline etc it serves as distraction and team gets more and more full of themselves etc

GA come out and punched Texas in mouth when Texas was on offense and the offense never got its grounding and responded well. I just think when circus comes to town it works against the home team. Sark going on Mcafee show with "FAFO" shirt, players getting star struck with everyone on sidelines etc

Team now needs to regroup, remove all the distractions and get ready for a Vandy team that would love nothing more than to grind the game out slowly and painfully.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Also, maybe learn to take the three points on 4th down sometimes.  3>0

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Not blaming, just highlighting when Texas goes full celebrity culture and has a bunch of unaffiliated folks on sideline etc it serves as distraction and team gets more and more full of themselves etc

GA come out and punched Texas in mouth when Texas was on offense and the offense never got its grounding and responded well. I just think when circus comes to town it works against the home team. Sark going on Mcafee show with "FAFO" shirt, players getting star struck with everyone on sidelines etc

Team now needs to regroup, remove all the distractions and get ready for a Vandy team that would love nothing more than to grind the game out slowly and painfully.

So the circus affected the offense but not the defense? There are only two people that screwed this up and it was not the celebs, it was Sark that did not get his offense ready to play and Ewers refusing to step into the pocket. The offensive line did not play as bad as it seems and receivers were running wide open and Quinn was waiting for his first read to get open instead. We know because Sark has said it in the past that he asks his QBs at times to go with the read the play calls for because he has done such a bang up job at what needs to be attacked instead of giving the QB more freedom.

13 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Also, maybe learn to take the three points on 4th down sometimes.  3>0

No kidding, I wonder what our 4th down stats are this year when in FG range?  I realize analytics basically say to go for it in those situations but our conversion rate has not been great.

48 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

If natalie portman was there the longhorns would have won. 

I kept watching this tall blonde walking around on the sideline.  Looked very celebrity-esqe.  Opened up the Insta yesterday and saw that it was Stacy Keibler.  Had I known that, I probably would have rappelled from the upper deck to get to her.

6 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I kept watching this tall blonde walking around on the sideline.  Looked very celebrity-esqe.  Opened up the Insta yesterday and saw that it was Stacy Keibler.  Had I known that, I probably would have rappelled from the upper deck to get to her.

George Clooney stays winning. 

10 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Seems a lot of folks were trying to send her a message in a bottle.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Jesus, we're the #5 team in the country, going away to the #25 team. We lost to the most talented team in football, but have plenty of room to improve each game. This is a fun matchup in a great away town that we should win, and we're still heavy favorites to make the Playoff.

Get your shit together, guys.

You know who else watched Texas lose Saturday night?

The line setters.

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Jesus, we're the #5 team in the country, going away to the #25 team. We lost to the most talented team in football, but have plenty of room to improve each game. This is a fun matchup in a great away town that we should win, and we're still heavy favorites to make the Playoff.

I agree wholeheartedly! Now where is my preview of games to watch this week?!?

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

Sorry coach!

I for one am ready to beat these uppity, incestuous Vanderbilts.

TIL that old Cornelius "The Commodore" Vanderbilt married his first cousin, Sophia Johnson. When she died in 1868, he married ... his cousin.

Every week is truly a "welcome to the SEC" event.

• Haha 2