Game Week 2024, Week 8, Texas @ Vandy

Wulaw Horn

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Everyone does it now that it's become a meme.

I was wearing a Longhorns cap while I was in St Louis on a work trip about this time last year. Went out in the Ballpark District one night and some fresh out of college drunk kid throws me the horns down. I give a little chuckle and ask where he went to school. "Michigan St" "Ok.... Then why are you throwing me horns down? Why do you even care?" "Uh, isn't that just what everyone does now?"

7 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

Amazingly, you can watch film from the last Texas/Vanderbilt game from 1928.  The game was played at Fair Park Stadium in Dallas and Texas lost.  The next year, Texas started a new streak of annual games in Dallas against Oklahoma, which continues until this day.  OU and Texas had played six times before in Dallas, but not every year.

Here's the video, such as it is:

And a picture of Fair Park Stadium, the predecessor to the Cotton Bowl:

305460283_3444316545800274_3490976034605

Damn. One guy on the white helmet team (Texas?) is playing without a helmet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

Amazingly, you can watch film from the last Texas/Vanderbilt game from 1928.  The game was played at Fair Park Stadium in Dallas and Texas lost.  The next year, Texas started a new streak of annual games in Dallas against Oklahoma, which continues until this day.  OU and Texas had played six times before in Dallas, but not every year.

Really interesting that helmets seem to be optional. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Team notes from IT

Spoiler

***We’ve been asked about RB Jerrick Gibson a lot. Why isn’t he playing more? It’s purely coaches’ decision. It’s pass-pro. He’s healthy. 

***Intel leads IT to believe Michael Kern will be the featured punter this week. He had a good week. 

***We already posted Ryan Wingo will start. IT bets Parker Livingstone will travel for this one. Isaiah Bond, like Andrew Mukuba, will take advantage of the bye week.

***We feel great about Andrew Mukuba returning for the Florida game. Per the comment above. 

***I hate attaching my name to what’s supposed to happen so it’s hard to opine on how Quinn Ewers will play. That’s what it boils down to, I’m supposed to say how he will play. It doesn’t matter how he actually practices, it matters how he plays in front of everyone. He’ll play his best game in three weeks based on practice. I think. We’ll see. 

***A few Texas players had bad games to the naked eye last week that were even worse under microscope. The coaches think they’ve fixed some ‘tells’ and fundamental miscues. We’ll get into this at a different time. There were some bad player breakdowns last week that are believed to be fixed.

***Defensively, there’s a lot of confidence each man will do his job. The D had a good week of practice. GOOD WEEK. That means they’ll probably lose eyes while the coaching staff punches furiously into their Commodore 64 tablet to show them what they’re doing wrong. But seriously, defense seems prepared. 

***Special teams game? Sark said he felt the ST’s units were rounding into form. A source felt the same way and is optimistic this week. I think we’ll see a big play. 

***I was asked on IT who would start between Liona Lefau and David Gbenda. Info points to Lefau but both had good weeks and are good players. Probably Lefau, though. 

***IT also heard both Trey Moore and Colin Simmons looked good squeezing the run this week. 

***Wouldn’t be surprised by another Gunnar Helm game.

• Hook 'Em 8

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Team notes from IT

Hide contents

***We’ve been asked about RB Jerrick Gibson a lot. Why isn’t he playing more? It’s purely coaches’ decision. It’s pass-pro. He’s healthy. 

***Intel leads IT to believe Michael Kern will be the featured punter this week. He had a good week. 

***We already posted Ryan Wingo will start. IT bets Parker Livingstone will travel for this one. Isaiah Bond, like Andrew Mukuba, will take advantage of the bye week.

***We feel great about Andrew Mukuba returning for the Florida game. Per the comment above. 

***I hate attaching my name to what’s supposed to happen so it’s hard to opine on how Quinn Ewers will play. That’s what it boils down to, I’m supposed to say how he will play. It doesn’t matter how he actually practices, it matters how he plays in front of everyone. He’ll play his best game in three weeks based on practice. I think. We’ll see. 

***A few Texas players had bad games to the naked eye last week that were even worse under microscope. The coaches think they’ve fixed some ‘tells’ and fundamental miscues. We’ll get into this at a different time. There were some bad player breakdowns last week that are believed to be fixed.

***Defensively, there’s a lot of confidence each man will do his job. The D had a good week of practice. GOOD WEEK. That means they’ll probably lose eyes while the coaching staff punches furiously into their Commodore 64 tablet to show them what they’re doing wrong. But seriously, defense seems prepared. 

***Special teams game? Sark said he felt the ST’s units were rounding into form. A source felt the same way and is optimistic this week. I think we’ll see a big play. 

***I was asked on IT who would start between Liona Lefau and David Gbenda. Info points to Lefau but both had good weeks and are good players. Probably Lefau, though. 

***IT also heard both Trey Moore and Colin Simmons looked good squeezing the run this week. 

***Wouldn’t be surprised by another Gunnar Helm game.

I'm happy to hear that Quinn is looking better in practice but it implying that he'll play his "best game in three weeks" isn't saying a whole hell of a lot (and I understand that IT isn't trying to predict anything)

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

8 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

Thanks for posting that.  It almost looks like what a pickup game at the Surly tailgate would look like today.

• Hook 'Em 1

Announcers:  Saturday on the SEC Network,  Tom Hart will handle play-by-play for the game, while Cole Cubelic will be the the analyst and Alyssa Lang reporting from the sidelines.

Hart has been with ESPN 12 years, before that he did work for Comcast, CBS Sports, Fox Sports and the Atlanta Braves. Cubelic played for the Auburn Tigers from 1996 to 2001. He joined ESPN in 2011. Lang joined the SEC Network in 2018 as a studio show anchor and host.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Haha 4

Vandy getting several players back for Texas:

Several Vanderbilt football starters were listed as questionable on the team's availability report published Wednesday night ahead of a matchup with Texas. However, those players were all upgraded to probable by Thursday.

Langston Patterson and Miles Capers, each of whom missed the game against Ball State, were among them. So are Eli Stowers, AJ Newberry, Martel Hight, Sedrick Alexander and Linus Zunk. It is not known what injuries any of those players are dealing with.

A later addition to the report was Kolbey Taylor, who is questionable with a back injury, according to Clark Lea.

Zaylin Wood remains out after suffering an injury against Georgia State in September.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

In the midst of some post-Georgia clip, I heard a UGa player say that they had studied our tells and basically knew where every call was going.

Kirby wouldn't pass that along to Lea, would he?

It's pretty much openly said in the IT article from today. The coaches noticed it and worked on it this week.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

In the midst of some post-Georgia clip, I heard a UGa player say that they had studied our tells and basically knew where every call was going.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

It's pretty much openly said in the IT article from today. The coaches noticed it and worked on it this week.

I don't understand how this keeps happening to Sark in big games. Why can't Texas disguise/vary them better?

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

This is just a complete and utter FAILURE of self scouting.  Something so systemic was happening that the opposing team knew what plays we were running before the snap.  Our self scouting personnel need to be fired, assuming we have any.  Any tendencies this large should have been found long before last week.  If we don't have any dedicated self scouting personnel, Sark needs to be  forced to hire some immediately. 

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

OU in 2023 was the same basically that's how they picked off Quinn.

Sark needs to expect this shit and change it up