Game Week 2024, Week 8, Texas @ Vandy

Wulaw Horn

13 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Sorry coach!

I for one am ready to beat these uppity, incestuous Vanderbilts.

TIL that old Cornelius "The Commodore" Vanderbilt married his first cousin, Sophia Johnson. When she died in 1868, he married ... his cousin.

Every week is truly a "welcome to the SEC" event.

If Natalie Portman or Stacy Keibler were my 1st cousins, I’m doing the same.

Sorry coach!

TIL that old Cornelius "The Commodore" Vanderbilt married his first cousin, Sophia Johnson. When she died in 1868, he married ... his cousin.

Sorry coach!

On 10/20/2024 at 8:18 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

They are, I believe, the only SEC school with a winning record against us (something like 4-1  from 100 years ago) so by the end of this decade the hope would be we wipe that away while enjoying some fun trips to NashVegas to win what should be a gimme of a game. 

this is as wrong as your post about derek williams getting hurt not mattering to our defense.

Vandy is 8-3-1 against us.

South Carolina also has a winning record against us at 1-0 winning 27-21 against us in 1957.

On 10/20/2024 at 7:29 AM, ATLLonghorn said:

I just hope for once Texas plays pissed off. If they don't take Vandy seriously it's going to be a long afternoon so I hope this team finally develops a chip on their shoulder.

Have you just not watched this team this year or are you just being very lazy with the platitudes?

I struggle to imagine Vanderbilt sustaining success on offense and Texas has too much on offense not to stumble their way into the 30's against Vanderbilt's defensive personnel. At worse, if the offense continues to struggle, this will look like the Mississippi State game where the score line stays ostensibly close for a while but the game never feels in doubt.

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Have you just not watched this team this year or are you just being very lazy with the platitudes?

I struggle to imagine Vanderbilt sustaining success on offense and Texas has too much on offense not to stumble their way into the 30's against Vanderbilt's defensive personnel. At worse, if the offense continues to struggle, this will look like the Mississippi State game where the score line stays ostensibly close for a while but the game never feels in doubt.

How about you be a little more positive 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

How about you be a little more positive 

lol I don't think "you're an idiot if you think this team hasn't shown energy or an edge to them, and at worst Texas just grinds it out" is a particularly negative sentiment, but sure let's add the obvious implication at the end that if the offense plays clean this could be a 28 point game by the half. 

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

lol I don't think "you're an idiot if you think this team hasn't shown energy or an edge to them, and at worst Texas just grinds it out" is a particularly negative sentiment, but sure let's add the obvious implication at the end that if the offense plays clean this could be a 28 point game by the half. 

all us assholes on this site need some care bear love 

Care Bear Hug GIFs | Tenor

Joker Why So Serious GIF - Joker WhySoSerious - Discover & Share GIFs

Ball State is one of the worst FBS teams in the country and Vandy won 24-14. I’m going to assume they repped Texas the whole week in practice but you should still be able to roll out the ball against Ball State and win by 20+.

I think Pavia is super fun to watch and Vandy is much improved, but I question some of the defenses they’ve played. Virginia Tech, Alcorn State, Georgia State, Bama,  Missouri, Kentucky and Ball State. Kentucky is probably the best of that group and held them to 288 total yards. Defensively I think Vandy is very meh. Their offense dominating time of possession really helps cover up the defense. 

They are going to try to ball control us to death and shorten the game. This would be a great spot to fix our opening script woes and jump out to a 14-0/14-3 type lead.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

Culture game for the O line. If this team is worth a damn they will come out with their hair on fire.  At this point any d coordinator with a pulse is gonna do their best to force Ewers to beat them with his arm. 

Edited by BlackCat
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

Upper right: high chaos teams

Lower right: low chaos teams

It's more a reflection of how many close games you've been in. If 1 play constantly makes that high of am impact, you're in a lot of close games. Texas has had only 1 close game so it makes since Texas would be near the axis.

Vandy's going to try to slow the game down and hold onto the ball. The option is always dicey to play against since few teams run it. We need to figure out how to run the ball consistently since Quinn is still dicey with his decisions and pocket presence. I think this will be a lot closer than we would like. Ultimately, our defense will carry us through. 
Yes, they play ball control and don't turn it over often. We simply have to prevent first downs when they're on offense. Should be simple, right? right?

57 minutes ago, MIkeHoncho said:

I'd love to see a heavy dose of Wisner and Baby Rhino, and the speed of Hill and Simmons to neutralize the Vandy QB.  I think how close it is comes down to being able to get him on the ground. 

Whatever works will be fine with me, but I'd like to see us just beat them up as you describe. I care more about the OL proving themselves than Quinn and it would feel really good to just run it down their throats.

22 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Whatever works will be fine with me, but I'd like to see us just beat them up as you describe. I care more about the OL proving themselves than Quinn and it would feel really good to just run it down their throats.

We haven’t “run it down anyone’s throats” all season so I wouldn’t hold my breath. That’s not Sark’s MO anyway.

On 10/21/2024 at 11:56 AM, Lat22 said:

I kept watching this tall blonde walking around on the sideline.  Looked very celebrity-esqe.  Opened up the Insta yesterday and saw that it was Stacy Keibler.  Had I known that, I probably would have rappelled from the upper deck to get to her.

You know the rules. 

Stacy Keibler | WWE

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ousux said:

Yes, they play ball control and don't turn it over often. We simply have to prevent first downs when they're on offense. Should be simple, right? right? emoji51.png

Vandy is not a great defense. It a good match-up for Quinn to get some confidence (in theory).  They are not fast in the secondary and they have played like they know that. They play off coverage and concede short throws. Texas should be able to move the ball. Texas should get to 30 pts even if they are mediocre on offense. If they break some tackles underneath, Texas should put up a lot of points.

The offense is a huge pain in the ass. They run every formation and every kind of offense imaginable. The whole basis of their offense is to mitigate their talent disadvantage. You have to play assignment sound. You cant let your eyes wonder and try to make plays. Pavia is the offense.

1Q will tell you  whether or not to get nervous. If it is like 0-0 after the 1Q, Texas is playing Vanderbilt's game and you should stay away from the game thread.