SEC assesses Texas penalties for bottle-throwing

ztejas

Maybe none of our business, but could the University take advantage of this situation in some way? Any benefits to be gained here?

Would strong leadership pointing out that the SEC is to valuable and important not to have professional officials trained and dedicated full time to officiate all SEC men's and women's events? Show how the penalty triggered this event and similar ones around the conference. Make a case for professional full time refs, and bring to other schools, kind of sidestepping Sankey until a clear alignment solidifies with other schools. 

If UT got the ball rolling on this,  could it help establish a new pecking order more fitting UT? Or would we get used and crapped on?

Just seems like an opportunity to explore upgrading the officials from part time realtors or insurance salespeople. 

Edited by Victor R. Franko
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Victor R. Franko said:

Maybe none of our business, but could the University take advantage of this situation in some? Any benefits to be gained here?

Would strong leadership pointing out that the SEC is to valuable and important not to have professional officials trained and dedicated full time to officiate all SEC men's and women's events? Show how the call triggered this event and others around the conference for the last few years. Make a case for this and bring to other schools kind of sidestepping Sankey until a clear alignment with others form.

If UT got the ball rolling on this,  could it help establish a new pecking order more fitting UT? Or would we get used and crapped on?

Just seems like an opportunity to explore upgrading the officials from part time realtors or insurance salespeople. 

And risk the good old boy county "rich" rednecks in birmingham losing their little fiefdom built on corrupting sec bureaucracy ? no way. pulling the sec to the modern age is going to be a long process 

1 minute ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

And risk the good old boy county "rich" rednecks in birmingham losing their little fiefdom built on corrupting sec bureaucracy ? no way. pulling the sec to the modern age is going to be a long process 

It's going to take whatever may be cooking with the B1G to get that ball really rolling.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Well, no guts, no glory. 

10 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

It's going to take whatever may be cooking with the B1G to get that ball really rolling.  

Maybe that's the way. B1G and SEC develop a plan, any plan to start discussing the topic.  Throw in acc and b12 as interested parties, as they'll have to go along. Develop an "Officials Association " that the P4 must use. After thought on this is to have all P4 TV contracts provide an item line budget based on percentage of contracts. Make TV pay so conferences don't squabble over costs.

BUT, most important is that  Texas starts it and gets the credit.   What starts here, changes the world! 

Edited by Victor R. Franko

53 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I think that behavior is not funny.
Instead it is a disgraceful embarassment and a stain on the University of Texas. 
It puts our fan base on the same level with the Arkansas trash in the eyes of the country.

This. While it was a spontaneous natural reaction to egregious fuckery, it is still bullshit that should be called out as beneath us.  This is a teachable moment for our students and we must rise to the occasion and teach them the way of our Texas culture. That shit won't stand. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, yoladu said:

look, does Texas have a history of fans throwing water bottles on the field? No.

something pretty egregious must have happened for it to have happened Sat night. Anyone want to look into that?!

Ahem . . .

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20972731/the-wild-bottle-throwing-badly-officiated-1947-ou-texas-game

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

I’m down with the spirit of all this but I don’t think this video does much to prove a point. I had to watch it five times before I could find where a bottle might’ve been thrown.  No even remotely close to what happened last night.   Georgia water bottle throwers definitely not SEC ready. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I’m down with the spirit of all this but I don’t think this video does much to prove a point. I had to watch it five times before I could find where a bottle might’ve been thrown.  No even remotely close to what happened last night.   Georgia water bottle throwers definitely not SEC ready. 

Video’s late. Dude in black is already picking them up in the endzone. But yea the majority just had weak ass arms 

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

I think that behavior is not funny.
Instead it is a disgraceful embarassment and a stain on the University of Texas. 
It puts our fan base on the same level with the Arkansas trash in the eyes of the country.

I mean I have seen our fanbase do that and worse in the past. You most certainly remember those days. Were you ritually whipping yourself back then? I was at the game where our fans threw garbage on the field at the 1995 Sugar Bowl for no reason at all besides our team was playing bad. I was there at the Stanford game in 1999 when our fans booed the marching band and I was there in 1992 when our fans booed our own offense for sucking against Baylor. And those are just incidents I witnessed in person. I was a little surprised this version of the UT crowd did this. We have been a very politically correct crowd for years.

Anyway don't worry. UT has no sense of humor for this kind of thing. I am sure a bunch of new policies will be wheeled out.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

Dear SEC.  

We see your $250K and will make it a cool $1M under the following stipulations:

- $250K for the water bottles on the field

- $250k for a 3 game suspension of the UGA head coach for assaulting an opposing teams QB in the prior week.   

- $250K for another 3 game suspension of the UGA head coach for criticism of the highly proficient SEC officials.  

-  $250K for termination costs for the sideline judge who does not understand pass interference as well as backfield judges who will not enforce offensive line holding by UGA

It’s all or nothing.  Not a dime unless all are implemented.  

Sincerely,

Daddy 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

ok, boomer

My young friend, Armybrat, was incorrect in his assessment, I believe.

However, while I agree with your apparent disdain for his attitude, I must point out that you are incorrect in his (and my) generational designation. Neither of us is a "boomer". We are, in fact, War Babies.

I hope you will take this information to heart, and use the preferred nomenclature from now on.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

I saw the first few bottles thrown but after that I was eventually too busy bitching about the call to the people around me in the stadium to notice how bad it got.  Damn it was a lot, but obviously Texas fans hate water because they didn’t throw any beers.  lol 

Edited by Hook1997

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

My young friend, Armybrat, was incorrect in his assessment, I believe.

However, while I agree with your apparent disdain for his attitude, I must point out that you are incorrect in his (and my) generational designation. Neither of us is a "boomer". We are, in fact, War Babies.

I hope you will take this information to heart, and use the preferred nomenclature from now on.

200.webp?cid=6c09b952pkz4vbcf4feqmoxbtgp

We are going to run this place soon.   Like others said, CDC should pay the fine and ignore the rest. They aren’t going to follow up, and if anything with Bama sitting on two losses now, they need us.  CDC’s response should be the first clear signal that shit won’t be run from Birmingham much longer. 

And Hartzell needs to sit this one out.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

This. While it was a spontaneous natural reaction to egregious fuckery, it is still bullshit that should be called out as beneath us.  This is a teachable moment for our students and we must rise to the occasion and teach them the way of our Texas culture. That shit won't stand. 

Can we prioritize getting the “bouncy hand” during the Eyes to go away first? Then work on the throwing objects deal?

Other than this “behavior”, I would like to acknowledge that our student section fucking brought it on Saturday. I honesty was somewhat surprised. I didn’t know that they had it in them.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I mean I have seen our fanbase do that and worse in the past. You most certainly remember those days. Were you ritually whipping yourself back then? I was at the game where our fans threw garbage on the field at the 1995 Sugar Bowl for no reason at all besides our team was playing bad. I was there at the Stanford game in 1999 when our fans booed the marching band and I was there in 1992 when our fans booed our own offense for sucking against Baylor. And those are just incidents I witnessed in person. I was a little surprised this version of the UT crowd did this. We have been a very politically correct crowd for years.

Anyway don't worry. UT has no sense of humor for this kind of thing. I am sure a bunch of new policies will be wheeled out.

Maybe they can swap out some statues and greenspoint can give another cautionary tale.

I used to care a lot about what other people thought of my sports teams, but as I’ve aged I’ve realized that’s just something to hang your hat on when you don’t win on the field. And if I’m being honest, given where we were a few years ago, it’s sort of refreshing to have a student section THAT into the game that there was a universal, uncoordinated display of disgust at a call that horrendous.
The people who already hate us are talking mess about us, THE HORROR.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

I saw the first few bottles thrown but after that I was eventually too busy bitching about the call to the people around me in the stadium to notice how bad it got.  Damn it was a lot, but obviously Texas fans hate water because they didn’t throw any beers.  lol 

I was going to say we shouldn't do that but damn I was proud that our student section is smart enough to throw 4.00 water bottles v. 9.00 beers.

• Hook 'Em 1