SEC assesses Texas penalties for bottle-throwing

ztejas

I know that Georgia was getting ready to resume play and the officials were not huddling before the fan reaction.
This ^^
Original call was shit and should have never been called, but you don't reverse it after you already announced it to everyone and both teams are lined up ready to run a play.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RexWilson said:

this is correct - I'm glad we get to play a better caliber of football, baseball, and I guess softball teams BUT.. not for one second do I associate myself w/ those inbred cousin fuckers. Just 2 min listening to the Finbaum show tells you everything you need to know about these people. Texas should just write the $250k check and in the memo section write - "You cannot control us with money.. We are Texas" 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Apparently the students got this email last night (per /r/UTAustin)

Email:

Dear students,

In the midst of a special weekend for our University and Longhorn Nation, our football game against the University of Georgia was marred by a profoundly disappointing moment that had nothing to do with the outcome of the game. I am reaching out to all UT students to deliver a message that will be unwelcome to some, but necessary.

Throwing debris onto the field for any reason, including expressing displeasure with an officiating call, poses a safety risk to everyone on the field and is entirely unacceptable behavior. Late in the third quarter, a sizable number of our students endangered others and embarrassed Longhorn Nation by throwing bottles and trash onto the field. This was only our third conference game as a new member of the SEC, so our fellow SEC institutions are just getting to know us. These actions made a bad early impression on Georgia and our new conference colleagues, and harmed your University’s reputation before a national audience.

Our reputation that is typically characterized by sportsmanship and excellence took decades to build, but it can be materially tarnished in moments. There are similar lessons to learn from your time at UT that will serve you well after you graduate. We must take actions to protect the safety of others, as well as the hard-earned status we all enjoy as being part of this great institution.

Accordingly, this incident triggered several responses by University officials and the SEC. Earlier today, I issued a joint message with UT System Chairman Kevin Eltife and UT Director of Athletics Chris Del Conte to apologize to the University of Georgia, the SEC, and our entire fan base for this display of bad sportsmanship. In addition, I contacted the University of Georgia president to apologize directly for this regrettable incident. We will also have a $250,000 fine imposed by the SEC due to these actions.

The University of Texas will use all means available to identify those who threw debris on the field and revoke those students’ ticket privileges to all athletic events for the remainder of this academic year. While such a review is required under the penalties imposed by the SEC, we agree with that approach because it is the right thing to do. We have zero tolerance for behavior that is completely at odds with our University’s commitment to conduct ourselves as a community of responsible leaders.

At UT, we take great pride in doing the right thing and taking responsibility for our actions. We love the passion that sports evoke in our fans, but the combination of passion and frustration went too far in this instance. We have two more home football games to show that we know how to conduct ourselves in ways befitting one of the top universities in the country, and a member of the SEC. I expect all UT students to act accordingly out of respect for your classmates, your university, and Longhorns everywhere.

Sincerely yours,

Jay Hartzell President

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Apparently the students got this email last night (per /r/UTAustin)

I guess I'm a "pussy" because I agree w/ what Hartzell wrote.  Multiple things can be true: the call was trash, people can express displeasure by booing, and throwing trash onto the field makes Texas look like a bunch of crybaby bitches.  The fact that the refs regrouped and got it right by changing the initial call only reinforces the bitch-ass nature of throwing trash because it creates the perception that it was "worth it," even if one had nothing to do with the other.

• Hook 'Em 4

Honest question, if refs giving in to crowd by reversing the penalty "sets a bad precedent", couldn't they just make pass interference a reviewable penalty moving forward, e.g., next season? Seems like the issue would mostly go away and we wouldn't have to deal with bullshit calls by the refs.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Meh, the fans have taken the high road and we saw even more ref fuckery in the B12. It was really amazing how our opponents seemed to play their cleanest games of the year against us.

Grumbling on the internet did fuck all. Coaches sending in videos of the rigged games did fuck all. Heck the conference only became more emboldened to jerk us around.

When Sark, after last year’s KSU game, said, “I don’t even know what PI is anymore”, in his weekly press conference, showing replays of KSU not being called (Kevin Mar crew), he got some PI calls the next week at TCU. Which really dumbfounded and pissed off Sonny Dykes. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

I guess I'm a "pussy" because I agree w/ what Hartzell wrote.  Multiple things can be true: the call was trash, people can express displeasure by booing, and throwing trash onto the field makes Texas look like a bunch of crybaby bitches.  The fact that the refs regrouped and got it right by changing the initial call only reinforces the bitch-ass nature of throwing trash because it creates the perception that it was "worth it," even if one had nothing to do with the other.

It's not being "crybaby bitches", it's not taking bullshit. I think we should have gotten a 15yd penalty and that should have been that, after the refs unfucked themselves. 

There's a real conversation to be had around the fall in quality of officiating in sports, in general. This moment certainly brings it all to a head. Because I do 100% agree they changed the call because of what the big screen clearly showed them and the fact that there was 100k angry people with shit coming down at them. But none of that would be happening if they hadn't been so goddamn incredibly dogshit 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Here is the ultimate test: if the places were swapped and we were at Georgia and the bad call was against THEM and their fans reacted the way ours did.  We would have multiple threads on here calling them pussies "take the L pussies," and "bad calls are part of the game" "that's not reviewable/reversible" etc.  Burton made that point on his podcast, Texas fans would be apoplectic if the shoe was on the other foot - for good reason.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

18 hours ago, Victor R. Franko said:

Maybe none of our business, but could the University take advantage of this situation in some way? Any benefits to be gained here?

Would strong leadership pointing out that the SEC is to valuable and important not to have professional officials trained and dedicated full time to officiate all SEC men's and women's events? Show how the penalty triggered this event and similar ones around the conference. Make a case for professional full time refs, and bring to other schools, kind of sidestepping Sankey until a clear alignment solidifies with other schools. 

If UT got the ball rolling on this,  could it help establish a new pecking order more fitting UT? Or would we get used and crapped on?

Just seems like an opportunity to explore upgrading the officials from part time realtors or insurance salespeople. 

More likely they would reduce the student section to sell for higher prices.

Josh Pate addressed the reffing problem. He had already done this a few weeks back, when SEC refs basically fucked South Carolina against LSU, and the horrendous DPI call favoring Georgia was more of the same.

Two things: (1) lack of continuity between conferences, and (2) lack of accountability.

His proposed solution is to have straight NCAA refs and for them to be paid, full-time professionals.

The NCAA has become increasingly irrelevant for a number of years, and I think it's a bad idea to give it any leverage at all. I'd like to see SEC and B1G get together and hire a group, and if ACC and XII have any sense, join that. Any game played by a member would have those refs, period.

Any accountability at all would be a hell of a lot more than there is now.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I mean I have seen our fanbase do that and worse in the past. You most certainly remember those days. Were you ritually whipping yourself back then? I was at the game where our fans threw garbage on the field at the 1995 Sugar Bowl for no reason at all besides our team was playing bad. I was there at the Stanford game in 1999 when our fans booed the marching band and I was there in 1992 when our fans booed our own offense for sucking against Baylor. And those are just incidents I witnessed in person. I was a little surprised this version of the UT crowd did this. We have been a very politically correct crowd for years.

Anyway don't worry. UT has no sense of humor for this kind of thing. I am sure a bunch of new policies will be wheeled out.

I don't see how booing is on the same level as throwing things.  i had forgotten about the trash at the Sugar Bowl.  Fortunately, the Texas fans had strong arms.  Some of them were in the level above us, but we didn't get hit.

29 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Here is the ultimate test: if the places were swapped and we were at Georgia and the bad call was against THEM and their fans reacted the way ours did.  We would have multiple threads on here calling them pussies "take the L pussies," and "bad calls are part of the game" "that's not reviewable/reversible" etc.  Burton made that point on his podcast, Texas fans would be apoplectic if the shoe was on the other foot - for good reason.

This is all true -- and the people who want to rationalize throwing things on the field know it deep down.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

This was a situation where a comparable make-up call was not likely to happen. I really liked how Sark handled that moment, and I will give the officials credit for reversing the call when the fans gave them every reason not to.

Although the fans were breaking the rules, I don't see any other way Texas could have prevented Georgia from starting the next play.

Barron had taken the ball to the 9 yard line, and then you can't really see who got the ball. Three members of the crew spoke quite a bit before announcing the alleged DPI. ABC was not showing us whether or where the ball was being placed after the alleged DPI. I think this is Matt Loeffler pointing at a beer can at the 30 yard line after 12 seconds had run off the clock, and the clock had indeed been running for those 12 seconds until there was a stoppage at 2:48, which leads me to infer that the ball had already been placed at about the 46 yard line (the spot of the "foul") and might have been snapped if it weren't for that meddling beer can.

Some Georgia staffer walked the width the field to grab the beer can, and it seems the clock resumes not long after he stepped off the field of play, because at the 1:55 mark of this video both teams are lined up at the 46 and eight seconds had run off the clock (thanks ABC for taking the clock off the screen during these replays). This is an important moment to me because it sure as fuck doesn't look like the crew had any intention of chatting more about this DPI call. Two members of the crew are over 25 yards apart, by the Pythagorean theorem, and no two officials are standing close enough to one another to talk without having to shout.

At that point a bunch of bottles had already been thrown at the north end zone, which prevented Georgia from snapping the ball again. As that was going on, Loeffler motions to "bring it in."

I am convinced this call would have stood if it hadn't been for the forced delays.

I agree with the $250k fine, and I agree with there being consequences for the people who actually threw bottles and could have hurt someone (old people lose their balance easily and a stadium is a bad place for them to lose their balance), but I don't agree with mass surveillance or doing more than the bare minimum to find out who could be punished.

Instead of Big Brother, we should put 4 of our best detectives on it, in case there are any leads.

Edited by chainsaw
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Lhorn said:

I’d be surprised if the “ask” of the university to identify bottle throwers was anything more than a stab in the dark (not actually expecting anyone to be identified) or just a “wink, wink” request.  
University will just say “we tried, oh lord how we tried…. But the video is just too grainy to be certain.”   Pay the money, move on

Its amazing how good some of these videos are.

Have you seen any of these bowl game videos where you can spot yourself in the crowd?

14 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Josh Pate addressed the reffing problem. He had already done this a few weeks back, when SEC refs basically fucked South Carolina against LSU, and the horrendous DPI call favoring Georgia was more of the same.

Two things: (1) lack of continuity between conferences, and (2) lack of accountability.

His proposed solution is to have straight NCAA refs and for them to be paid, full-time professionals.

The NCAA has become increasingly irrelevant for a number of years, and I think it's a bad idea to give it any leverage at all. I'd like to see SEC and B1G get together and hire a group, and if ACC and XII have any sense, join that. Any game played by a member would have those refs, period.

The NFL doesn't even have full time professional refs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Agreed it was not correct and like my daughter said we are better than that but sometimes protesting is the only way to send a message. It is good that a message was sent early that Texas does not care for the SEC antics of them wanting to control results in the name of the SEC brotherhood. Georgia like aggy proclaimed to me the greatness of the SEC before their own and they have actually won two NCs in the last three years. I told the person I will never understand how a school's fan base can be prouder of their conference before their school.

Booing is a protest.  Of course, the SEC officials probably think fan bases boo for perfect calls (and a lot of them do).

41 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

If we’re doing hypotheticals,…

What if Barron had returned the puck all the way for a TD? Think they would have overturned it (I don’t, but it would have been worth it to see Smart strike out). 

• Like 1

Conflicted. I've always been part of the "We're Texas -- act like you've been here before" crowd. That was my first reaction. I also think Hartzell's letter is spot on. At the same time ...

When the officials gathered and reversed the call, I felt a little something that surprised the hell out of me because I recognized that I'm not supposed to feel it. It was a good bit of pride and awe.

Not excusing the behavior. Don't think it should happen again. But I feel what I feel.

Texas Fight, baby.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

This has been proposed many times and it fails every single time for a few reasons (basketball officials are included on this)

- The NCAA knows how much $$$ it would cost to do this for football and basketball when you start to realize you have to pay health benefits, dental, vision, etc. and retirement. They don’t want to do that.

- Most of the pushback (especially in basketball) comes from the officials and the conference assignors themselves because of how much $$$ they make.

- There are too many teams/games to have just 1 assignor—you’d have to have the Head of Officials and then have Associates underneath that person to help with assigning because you’d also have to assign D2, D3, and JUCO. You can’t just have it for D1 only—but if they did, they’d probably have to make a rule that those in D1 can’t officiate D2 and below because they don’t want you getting hurt, etc. (sort of how NBA refs don’t get to ref college ball when they don’t have a D1 game)

There are a few more reasons. This is the loudest I’ve seen anyone yell about it in football. In basketball, it gets yelled about all the time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

The NFL doesn't even have full time professional refs. 

This. 

And the NFL does not have a playoff system and/or incentive structure that influences conferences to properly "stack" teams to maximize playoff and bowl opportunities.  The new playoff system motivates the SEC and B1G to have the top-4 to top-6 or so of its teams all at the same record/level/etc. for as long as possible.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, royiv said:

You are such a cunt with your self appointed mod role. Get a life, dude. You calling out innocuous political references just calls more attention to it. Let the real mods do their job if it’s a problem.

lolfuckinglol. You mean the mods who are all 100% on the same end of the political spectrum and spend most of their time in the CR cesspool?

YARN | We have them working in shifts | The Big Lebowski | Video gifs by  quotes | e357fab0 | 紗

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

the explanation that was apparently given to the Kirbster exposes it all.  They said it should have been OPI.  why?

a) they can say it was a miscommunication between officials - who can ever know?

b) because Texas would decline the penalty anyway

If they just say it wasn't DPI after announcing it they have a HUGE issue on their hands.  The fuckery will continue to help Georgia until we or someone else can be viewed or as top dog.

I think the good news is that it isn't small town insurance salesmen that couldn't get into Texas or a Nebraska graduate with an axe to grind.  The SEC will protect the top team.

Just now, rage-a-holic said:

lolfuckinglol. You mean the mods who are all 100% on the same end of the political spectrum and spend most of their time in the CR cesspool?

YARN | We have them working in shifts | The Big Lebowski | Video gifs by  quotes | e357fab0 | 紗

I mean when you own the place that’s your prerogative not some twit who self appointed himself the politics police.

Your image doesn’t load so not sure what it is.