SEC assesses Texas penalties for bottle-throwing

ztejas

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

I was also there, and your statement is incorrect. There were definitely bottles, cans, and cups raining down into the endzone at that game, but it was in response to (I believe) a roughing the passer penalty near the end of the game after one of our defenders hit Jim Druckenmiller. Shouldn't have happened, but it wasn't done just because we were playing poorly.

Ah ok gotcha. I was pissed off about how we played in the second half so maybe I was projecting. 

3 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Here is the ultimate test: if the places were swapped and we were at Georgia and the bad call was against THEM and their fans reacted the way ours did.  We would have multiple threads on here calling them pussies "take the L pussies," and "bad calls are part of the game" "that's not reviewable/reversible" etc.  Burton made that point on his podcast, Texas fans would be apoplectic if the shoe was on the other foot - for good reason.

This is some bullshit.  If the delay of game led to the right call being made, I'm on board with the bottle throwers, no matter where they are from.  Bitching after the game never seems to make the refs fix their previous mistakes, in fact historically it has only caused them to become more brazen in their shitty calling of games. If we made private inquiries with the league about the quality of officiating in the Big 12, we can see that it never had a measurable effect on their performance either. 

I'm glad we didn't sit still for it on Saturday, and I hope the next team that finds themselves getting royally screwed has fans that learn a lesson from us.  Delay the game however you have to to get them to reverse their call.  

The ironic thing here is that by reversing the call, the refs were basically justifying the behavior that caused the delay of game.  What they should have done is fixed the call and then at the least given Texas a delay of game penalty, but probably an unsportsmanlike and taken 15 away from the return.  

I don't understand what most of you are going on about with this being bad behavior, but then again I grew up in west Texas, where hating refs is a regional religion.  I was excited to see, finally, that something can work to make them rethink the especially egregious calls.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

a while back I was offered a tour of the stadium's operation center. during the tour they demoed the console for the stadium security cameras. essentially, they could punch in a specific seat and get a very clear image of the person in the seat.

that was over 10 years ago.

they absolutely have the technological capability to match faces with IDs.

so, fafo...I guess.

Edited by The University

23 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Having a stupid distraction like getting those assholes to stop throwing shit on the field interferes with his coaching. 
He’s got enough to worry about as it is.

it's fine you don't like the look but Sark spent 30 seconds on this.  He's not worrying about it or doing anything, that is CDC's job.  And I am sure he is doing it.

12 minutes ago, The University said:

a while back I was offered a tour of the stadium's operation center. during the tour they demoed the console for the stadium security cameras. essentially, they could punch in a specific seat and get a very clear image of the person in the seat.

so, fafo...I guess.

They might, doesn’t mean they’re going to take the time to do it

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Any of the assholes who threw their water bottles onto the field.

They all should volunteer to get together and run a few laps and windsprints in atonement. 
Or maybe run the steps.

Or clean up a neighborhood or do a food drive.  Do your atonement and we move the fuck on. 
SEC, do your part and don’t fuck up absolutely no brainer calls.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

This is some bullshit.  If the delay of game led to the right call being made, I'm on board with the bottle throwers, no matter where they are from.  Bitching after the game never seems to make the refs fix their previous mistakes, in fact historically it has only caused them to become more brazen in their shitty calling of games. If we made private inquiries with the league about the quality of officiating in the Big 12, we can see that it never had a measurable effect on their performance either. 

I'm glad we didn't sit still for it on Saturday, and I hope the next team that finds themselves getting royally screwed has fans that learn a lesson from us.  Delay the game however you have to to get them to reverse their call.  

The ironic thing here is that by reversing the call, the refs were basically justifying the behavior that caused the delay of game.  What they should have done is fixed the call and then at the least given Texas a delay of game penalty, but probably an unsportsmanlike and taken 15 away from the return.  

I don't understand what most of you are going on about with this being bad behavior, but then again I grew up in west Texas, where hating refs is a regional religion.  I was excited to see, finally, that something can work to make them rethink the especially egregious calls.

Can't say I agree with this take.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Gucci_Suit said:

With all dude respect, your team hasn’t played a meaningful game in a decade. Not trying to be rude at all, but.  

Totally agree, but it has nothing to do with it.  Just saying that to suggest fans SHOULD throw shit on the field to intentionally delay the game so a review can take place is, well, not a great take imo.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

Totally agree, but it has nothing to do with it.  Just saying that to suggest fans SHOULD throw shit on the field to intentionally delay the game so a review can take place is, well, not a great take imo.

They shouldn’t have to

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The University said:

so, fafo...I guess.

If they had the video capability to do that "a while back," then there should NEVER be a replay that doesn't have every possible permutation of angles to show what happened on the field when a game comes to our stadium. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Conflicted. I've always been part of the "We're Texas -- act like you've been here before" crowd. That was my first reaction. I also think Hartzell's letter is spot on. At the same time ...

When the officials gathered and reversed the call, I felt a little something that surprised the hell out of me because I recognized that I'm not supposed to feel it. It was a good bit of pride and awe.

Not excusing the behavior. Don't think it should happen again. But I feel what I feel.

Texas Fight, baby.

Fuck that crowd. It doesn’t matter if we try to hold ourselves higher than others and “do the right thing” we’re always the bad guys no matter what. Fucking embrace that shit and make it our persona. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

What I’m really saying is refs should do their best to call the game correctly and when one of them makes a mistake the other refs should hold them accountable in that moment, or at the least they should be held accountable in a meaningful way after the game.

When you can’t count on accountability against the people in charge of ensuring a clean game, you aren’t dealing with a clean game. We chose not to just shrug our shoulders and aww shucks our way through that situation and instead we got dirty when they got dirty. And holy shit it fucking worked! They would not have changed that call without the delay. 

I would rather not go dirty, leave that to the sister fucking okies, but I’m not mad that some water was spilled on the field to call out a rigging which was actively underway under our noses. 

I would like to reiterate, I grew up in west Texas where refs are reviled, so I have some bias here. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Still waiting for the SECSECSEC fines on Smart for calling into question the refereeing(and by proxy saying the game was fixed by SEC officials) and assaulting an opposing player.

Until they do this  some plastic water bottles on a field should be ignored.  This league administration is a joke.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

What I’m really saying is refs should do their best to call the game correctly and when one of them makes a mistake the other refs should hold them accountable in that moment, or at the least they should be held accountable in a meaningful way after the game.

When you can’t count on accountability against the people in charge of ensuring a clean game, you aren’t dealing with a clean game. We chose not to just shrug our shoulders and aww shucks our way through that situation and instead we got dirty when they got dirty. And holy shit it fucking worked! They would not have changed that call without the delay. 

I would rather not go dirty, leave that to the sister fucking okies, but I’m not mad that some water was spilled on the field to call out a rigging which was actively underway under our noses. 

This is all really very close to where I fall on the whole deal.

I will add that I was stunned that they changed their call during that break. In close to a half century of watching football, I am struggling to recall a similar call reversal on a judgement penalty.

So, given all that, I totally understood Kirby going apeshit over the reversal. However, fuck it because the call was correct in the end. 

And I will not participate in the pearl-clutching over the bottle throwing by the students. The frustration in the moment was palpable and justified, even if the reaction was not ideal. But I have no problems with the statements from Hartzell and Eltife. In their positions, they are doing their jobs.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I was team water bottle the moment it happened. People need to lighten up. I mean they serve alcohol to students and get mad when people get unruly to make alcohol sales money. If they were serious they would ban that. Jesus Christ. CDC grow a pair snd stand up for the students. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Fuck that crowd. It doesn’t matter if we try to hold ourselves higher than others and “do the right thing” we’re always the bad guys no matter what. Fucking embrace that shit and make it our persona. 

Not sure about that. I think it's important to the majority of Texas fans, and I think a lot of other fans across the country admire the way Texas does business. Those fans aren't the loudmouths on the Finebaum Show.

Taking the high road most of the time makes it easier for outsiders to nod their heads when you jump down into the ditch every now and then.  Texas is Woodrow Call. The rest of the country is looking on like the townspeople in that scene.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

Not sure about that. I think it's important to the majority of Texas fans, and I think a lot of other fans across the country admire the way Texas does business. Those fans aren't the loudmouths on the Finebaum Show.

Taking the high road most of the time makes it easier for outsiders to nod their heads when you jump down into the ditch every now and then.  Texas is Woodrow Call. The rest of the country is looking on like the townspeople in that scene.

They’re just loud mouths on message boards. Our base is no different than other bases. The thinking otherwise is stupid. 

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

They’re just loud mouths on message boards. Our base is no different than other bases. The thinking otherwise is stupid. 

That's like saying all asses are the same. Your avatar puts the lie to that.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I was also there, and your statement is incorrect. There were definitely bottles, cans, and cups raining down into the endzone at that game, but it was in response to (I believe) a roughing the passer penalty near the end of the game after one of our defenders hit Jim Druckenmiller. Shouldn't have happened, but it wasn't done just because we were playing poorly.

It was on their last TD of the game, a strip/sack TD of James Brown. Their defensive player was celebrating, perhaps even doing the dreaded horns down in the EZ full of our fans…

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, The University said:

so, fafo...I guess.

Username checks out

Tom Herman asked to clarify rules and the b12 officials made a big deal about it and kept trying to spin a simple rule clarity issue that should have been obvious for more than a decade. Same conference that thought 2008 Tech wasn’t holding or choking all game, that same conference that supported the fuckery of 2015 OSU game where the cunt ran into Charlie Strong then flagged him for it. So excuse us if some of us have little faith in officiating officials.

The presence of officials should be a net positive on the game.

1 hour ago, EastHorn said:

I was team water bottle the moment it happened. People need to lighten up. I mean they serve alcohol to students and get mad when people get unruly to make alcohol sales money. If they were serious they would ban that. Jesus Christ. CDC grow a pair snd stand up for the students. 

Yes, CDC should have come out with a statement supporting throwing water bottles on the field every time they’re upset with a call.  In fact, he should encourage them to branch out and not just restrict themselves to water bottles.  Beer cans would work, and batteries are always popular.  Hell he should ask them to all bring golf balls.  You can throw a golf ball a fucking long ass way, and I guarantee if you hit a ref in the head with a golf ball from the stands he will think twice about throwing that flag next time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So when students/fans rush the field, hemming in 100-plus high-T individuals from a visiting team that just lost (perhaps at the last second) with thousands of stupid, intoxicated maniacs running around we fine the school, if and only if they tear down the goal posts? 

But using common sense, we know that is a far more dangerous situation for everyone involved that students throwing water bottles onto the field in protest. 

Look, Kirby should be happy they got the call right, and said we still beat the crap out of them, on their home field--because else wise everyone would be talking about how the game-changing pick was wiped away and Texas was going to come back and win, or whatever.

5 hours ago, The University said:

so, fafo...I guess.

This ability to pinpoint anyone on camera probably works when the game is going on. Now, you will get only empty seats. They are probably not recording every angle throughout the game. 

16 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Throwing shit on the field is dumb and makes you look like shit. Mexico soccer fans know this, high and mighty dipshits always talk shit about “those trashy fans” but love this.

weird but not surprised 

Did I miss where this already became a regular thing that Texas fans do?

Jfc.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Any of the assholes who threw their water bottles onto the field.

They all should volunteer to get together and run a few laps and windsprints in atonement. 
Or maybe run the steps.

Without water?

• Haha 1