SEC assesses Texas penalties for bottle-throwing

ztejas

2 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Now reprimand the refs for an objectively horrendous call so shit like this doesn’t happen. 

Yeah, I mean, I'm not going to condone what the kids did, but that DPI call was one of the worst calls I've ever seen.  And it came after a bad holding call at a hugely pivotal time, then them getting away with some holds, and so on.

The Georgia guy next to me even said, as the bottles were being thrown, "Yeah, man, the SEC isn't gonna let Georgia take a second loss.  Bama got that help for years and now we do."

And, what happened next?  They reversed the terrible call and later ejected two UGA players for targeting.  I'm not saying that the kids' temper tantrum worked, but I am saying that I'm pretty sure Surly alone could raise $250k a week if that's what it takes to get straight officiating..............

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, I mean, I'm not going to condone what the kids did, but that DPI call was one of the worst calls I've ever seen.  And it came after a bad holding call at a hugely pivotal time, then them getting away with some holds, and so on.

The Georgia guy next to me even said, as the bottles were being thrown, "Yeah, man, the SEC isn't gonna let Georgia take a second loss.  Bama got that help for years and now we do."

And, what happened next?  They reversed the terrible call and later ejected two UGA players for targeting.  I'm not saying that the kids' temper tantrum worked, but I am saying that I'm pretty sure Surly alone could raise $250k a week if that's what it takes to get straight officiating..............

I am in for 350

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, linux said:

Nah the team scored it was the following drive where I knew they would win, where they had that 3rd and long but converted DKR was loud as fuck before that.

Yeah that 3rd and 10 followed by the 40 yard double reverse flea-flicker ended our chance to win a game we didn’t really deserve to win….

Edited by Ignatius

12 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Yeah that 3rd and 10 followed by the 40 yard double reverse flea-flicker ended our chance to win a game we didn’t really deserve to win….

You say that like it's a bad thing. I've seen us win plenty of games over the years we didn't deserve to win. I'm perfectly fine with every single one of them. 

It didn't happen here, but I would have been perfectly fine with it if it did.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

How about fining SEC officials for being incompetent and creating the situation in the first place?

I thought Rig12 officiating had no peers in any other conference, but from what I've seen so far the SEC zebras are just as bad if not worse.

At least they don't take quite as long in attempting to straighten out their fuckups, and I must give them credit for being consistent in not calling holding. We got away with some, Georgia got away with some. Having said that, I think in this particular game we would have benefitted from them being sticklers about holding on the O-lines. Georgias O-line isn't anything special, but they look pretty good when they can clothesline our edge rushers with impunity.

9 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

You say that like it's a bad thing. I've seen us win plenty of games over the years we didn't deserve to win. I'm perfectly fine with every single one of them. 

It didn't happen here, but I would have been perfectly fine with it if it did.

Same here man; I don’t GAF is we ‘deserve’ it or not, I’ll take the W. It was miraculous that, as much as we were getting outplayed, with a minute left in the 3rd quarter we could have gotten the ball back down by a TD…

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Now reprimand the refs for an objectively horrendous call so shit like this doesn’t happen. 

Exactly - the refs should be fined for that shitty ass call that started the whole thing.

I enjoyed watching the crown take out their frustrations and was thrilled when the call was overturned.

51 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I am, FAFO

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, ousux said:

How about fining SEC officials for being incompetent and creating the situation in the first place?

I thought Rig12 officiating had no peers in any other conference, but from what I've seen so far the SEC zebras are just as bad if not worse.

At least they don't take quite as long in attempting to straighten out their fuckups, and I must give them credit for being consistent in not calling holding. We got away with some, Georgia got away with some. Having said that, I think in this particular game we would have benefitted from them being sticklers about holding on the O-lines. Georgias O-line isn't anything special, but they look pretty good when they can clothesline our edge rushers with impunity.

we never really had a big play they could call back for holding.  funny how that works. 

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

If you're suggesting our message board fans-- on surlyhorns of all places-- stop talking about how stupid the SEC is for causing this incident and then demanding apologies and actions, I can assure you that you're wasting your time.

The proper response is pay the fine, and tell them to pound sand on the rest of it.

Unless/until they reprimand a high profile head coach for assaulting an opposing player on the sidelines, any words they utter about concerns over safety and sportsmanship, are demonstrably false and laughably stupid.

Woody Hayes, who had a longer and arguably more distinguished resume, was fired for that behavior.  I wouldn't spend 5 minutes attempting to identify bottle throwers from the GA section.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

More details on the “punishment “:

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/football/2024/10/20/texas-football-punishments-sec-georgia-fans-throw-debris/75768281007/

“The SEC also ruled that Texas must review and update its athletic department game management and alcohol availability policies. Texas and the SEC must come to an agreement on policy to comply with existing SEC standards. Lastly, Texas must conduct a report and submit it to the SEC that summarizes its efforts to find offenders of the rules and how it will prevent future occurrences from happening.”

After 3 seconds of putting your post in ChatGPT.:

Report on Compliance with SEC Standards: University of Texas Athletic Department

I. Introduction

The University of Texas, in response to the Southeastern Conference’s (SEC) directive, has undertaken a comprehensive review and update of its athletic department game management and alcohol availability policies. The following report outlines the efforts made by Texas to ensure compliance with SEC standards and prevent rule violations. It also details measures taken to identify offenders and steps to prevent future occurrences.

II. Review and Update of Policies

A. Game Management Policies

The University of Texas has conducted a thorough evaluation of its game management procedures, aligning them with existing SEC regulations. Key updates include:

1. Enhanced Security Protocols: Increased security presence at high-risk areas, including field entrances, locker rooms, and spectator sections.

2. Crowd Control Measures: Introduction of stricter policies regarding field access to prevent unauthorized personnel or spectators from entering the playing field.

3. Event Staff Training: Mandatory training sessions for all event staff to ensure familiarity with SEC regulations and game-day responsibilities.

B. Alcohol Availability Policies

To comply with SEC requirements, the University has revised its alcohol policies. The primary changes include:

1. Controlled Alcohol Distribution: Alcohol sales are restricted to designated areas with clear identification requirements for purchasers.

2. Sales Time Limitations: Alcohol sales will cease at the end of the third quarter of games to minimize the risk of incidents.

3. Alcohol Education Initiatives: Implementation of campaigns to educate fans on responsible drinking and awareness programs regarding the consequences of overconsumption.

III. Agreement on Compliance with SEC Standards

Texas and the SEC have collaborated to ensure that the updated policies meet the standards set forth by the conference. The university submitted its revised game management and alcohol availability policies to the SEC for review. The policies were evaluated and have now been approved as compliant with SEC standards.

IV. Identification of Offenders and Prevention Measures

A. Efforts to Identify Offenders

The University of Texas has taken proactive measures to identify individuals who violate SEC rules, including:

1. Use of Surveillance Technology: Expanded use of surveillance cameras in stadiums to monitor crowd behavior and identify incidents.

2. Incident Reporting Systems: A streamlined reporting process for fans and staff to notify authorities of violations, such as disorderly conduct or unauthorized access.

3. Collaboration with Law Enforcement: Coordination with local law enforcement agencies to ensure swift action is taken against offenders.

B. Preventative Measures

To mitigate future rule violations, Texas has implemented a multi-layered prevention strategy:

1. Increased Awareness Campaigns: Regular communication to fans regarding SEC rules and the consequences of violations, including digital signage, announcements, and printed materials.

2. Stricter Access Controls: Use of wristbands, credentials, and ticket scans to control access to sensitive areas.

3. Alcohol Service Training for Vendors: Training programs for alcohol vendors on responsible service practices to minimize the likelihood of over-serving.

V. Conclusion

The University of Texas is committed to upholding the standards set by the SEC and has taken significant steps to ensure compliance. Through updated policies, collaborative agreements, and proactive measures to identify and prevent violations, Texas aims to provide a safe and enjoyable environment for all event attendees. A continued focus on monitoring and enforcement will help sustain these efforts and ensure ongoing adherence to SEC regulations.

VI. Submission to the SEC

This report is hereby submitted to the Southeastern Conference as a summary of the University of Texas’s efforts to comply with SEC standards and prevent rule violations. Texas will continue to evaluate and enhance its policies as needed to maintain compliance.

This report outlines the key actions taken by Texas in line with the SEC’s requirements and should serve as a reference for future reviews and policy adjustments.

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Lulz yeah I'm sure we'll get right on that 

“…. In conclusion, our video evidence shows that it was indeed persons in the stadium wearing red and black who threw the bottles onto the field.  We very much agree that all the persons who were at DKR stadium on 10/19 and were wearing red and black should be banned from all SEC events for the remainder of the 24-25 year.   Additionally, the $250k is ready to wire to a financial institution of your choice.   We will not, however, provide the $250k fine “in cash, stuffed in paper sacks” as was initially requested. “

5 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

fuck Kirby Smart right in his pussy.  I'm sure there are more.  Georgia is a trash university with a trash fanbase.

We are going to have to learn how to come down off the OU game hangover much quicker.   We will probably have to travel to Georgia next year right after OU.

Dear Mr. Sec:

Please be advised that we have received your communication levying a fine of $250,000 against us and requiring an investigation and report identifying as many of the approximately 15,000 persons believed to be guilty of the alleged manual projection of objects and potentially causing serious bodily injury to referees whose incredibly incompetent game management appears to have initiated the incident.

We have already commenced the investigation, and it is abundantly apparent that it will be extremely time-consuming and will need quite a few investigators. Fortunately, it appears that we will be able to create a NIL component to pay substantial amounts to several dozen student-athletes to assist with Public Service Appearances needed to carry out the needed work.

While we have no accurate assessment of the time and dollar amounts the entire effort will need, you should rest assured that we will spare no effort or expense to complete it at the earliest possible date. 

No doubt you will understand that we will not be able to forward the $250,000 fine until the reports detailing the results of our investigation have been completed to both our and your satisfaction.

In the meantime, you may wish to examine the implications of Sovereign Immunity as relating to the public educational institutions of the State of Texas.

Sincerely yours,

[REDACTED]

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

There’s a pretty unanimous negative reaction towards Texas online after that. The people on Reddit is expected, but the people on Twitter are having the same reaction. That’s a huge fucking deal

I think that behavior is not funny.
Instead it is a disgraceful embarassment and a stain on the University of Texas. 
It puts our fan base on the same level with the Arkansas trash in the eyes of the country.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

More details on the “punishment “:

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/football/2024/10/20/texas-football-punishments-sec-georgia-fans-throw-debris/75768281007/

“The SEC also ruled that Texas must review and update its athletic department game management and alcohol availability policies. Texas and the SEC must come to an agreement on policy to comply with existing SEC standards. Lastly, Texas must conduct a report and submit it to the SEC that summarizes its efforts to find offenders of the rules and how it will prevent future occurrences from happening.”

Lulz, there are 45 Assistant Athletic Directors in Belmont who just fucking live to write these bullshit reports.  

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Instead it is a disgraceful embarassment and a stain on the University of Texas. 
It puts our fan base on the same level with the Arkansas trash in the eyes of the country.

I mean, the country already looks at the state of Texas as a bunch of gun loving, lunatic, arrogant fascist assholes anyway. Don't think for a second our university or state is well thought of outside the scientific communities' regard for several of our research departments. 

That shit doesn't matter in 2024. 

• Fuck You 1

29 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

If we were having this conversation 10 years ago, I think almost all of us would agree with you, but we're through the mercenary/minor league looking glass. This isn't about student athletes anymore. It isn't about being a good sport. It's about a metric fuckton of money. 

The embarrassing part is that the SEC refs thought they could blatantly fuck us without any repercussions. 

There is way too much money on the line now to allow that bullshit. If it keeps happening, it might be time to hire a retired ref to conduct independent reviews and grade the officiating. 

Honestly, the idea of conference refs is stupid in this era of huge money. The ACC is openly fixing Miami's games.

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

ok, boomer

Edited by FORTY NINE TO ZERO
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1