I was WAY too young when I watched that movie.

Parliament

I'll take this a different direction and say "The Color of Money". I was 10 when it came out, my mom loved Paul Newman and it had Maverick in it so we saw it.  At 10 years old the concept of hustling was WAAAAAAAY over my head.  I kept sitting there trying to figure out why Fast Eddie was so pissed at Vince for beating ass.  I had watched Tom Cruise kick some ass in an F-14 a few months prior and didn't get why he shouldn't be kicking ass here.  

I bet I was six or seven when I first saw Excalibur and the sex scene between Uther in full plate mail and Igraine.  It was a long time before I realized that’s not really how one performs the act.  

Also had parents who didn’t really police watching HBO back when it was the only premium cable available and saw pretty much all of the late 70’s/early 80’s horror before I was in second grade.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Jaws when I was 11. Led to pretty much a lifelong fear of the ocean. 

That movie turns 50 this coming June and it still rocks.  I like watching YouTube reactors watching it for the first time( which is actually believable for a movie of that age and these young reactors) and the gnarly parts still get everyone. The head in the boat jump scare makes every single one yell. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

For a 5th grade Parliament it was Nightmare on Elm Street.  Sleepover at a friend who was raised basically ferrel.  Was gonna camp in the back yard but heck with that.

mallrats-well-did-he (1).gif

17 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Altered States in the theater at age 7. I eventually had enough so my mom and I left to hang out in the lobby of the theater while my dad finished the movie. 

I was maybe 12 or 13 when I saw that in the theater.  Fucked me up good.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

My dad's oldest brother has eight kids, the seventh is my age. One night I was over there spending the night. This was the very early days of cable but I had to be at least 9 or 10 based on this movie coming out in 1981 -- I thought it was older. At any rate, we watched it one night and I made my cousin's leave the lights on in the room when it was bedtime. And I still didn't get a wink of sleep that night. Not a big fan of horror movies to this day.

Screenshot2024-10-21at4_56_23PM.png.b5f91e476c2e9262d71c7f1417320d33.png

1 hour ago, Classic Rock said:

Watched Rosemary's Baby when I was 7. Not sure of my mom's thought process on letting me watch that.

That’s near the top of my list.  I saw The Exorcist when I was 16 and it completely freeked me out.  

Watched The Shining with my parents when I was about 11 or 12. What the fuck were they thinking? Scared the ever-living shit out of me.

Was even younger when I saw Poltergeist. Maybe third grade. Also with my parents. What the fuck were they thinking?

At the same time, I loved horror movies as a kid in the 80s, and there were so many damn good ones. Something inside of me has always gotten a thrill over being terrified. It’s probably why I kept going to Longhorn football games during the Charlie Strong era.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Jaws when I was 11. Led to pretty much a lifelong fear of the ocean. 

Saw this when I was 12-13 when I went to Chicago to camp.  2 weeks after camp, family vacation in Pensacola.  Dad rented a catamaran and took me to sail the bay and dumped it in the middle of the bay. That was a good 20 minute absolute panic attack as dad tried to flip it back over and me trying to walk on water... Two other boats came up to see who died from all my screaming and dad not knowing how to right it...

To this day, I can't wade or bodyboard in the surf unless there is at least one person further out than me in the surf... (not that it would matter, but still...)

Edited by Grimas
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, mchookem said:

i never even saw this movie, but the previews on tv gave me absolute night terror...

Screenshot_20241021_173926_IMDb.jpg

Holy shit I saw that in the theater too (my cousin and I would always get people to buy us tix to movies we weren't old enough to see).  Damn, I don't recall what it was even about, but I remember running out of the theater.