2024 Election "I voted" thread.

immamac

1 hour ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I'll give that a try.  The cane and the fact that she has to move at the speed of smell should help.  She'll hate it, though.

Every polling location has to offer curbside voting for voters that need an accommodation. No questions asked. There should be signs and buzzer at the exterior of the polling location. Ring the buzzer and an election clerk will bring a handheld device to the car for her to vote. It may take a few extra minutes because there are a couple of extra steps that the clerk has to complete to ensure chain of custody and proper qualifying.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I've had my ballot since last week. Had everything but one Constitutional Initiative finish since the weekend, but I needed to research it further. Finished tonight and dropping ballot off at the courthouse in the morning.

• Hook 'Em 5

Filled out ballot this past weekend, researched non-partisan positions (judicial, school board) in the comfort of my home. This year's ballot went quickly as the four state initiatives were all written by hard-core out of state right-wingers and the Seattle transportation levy renewal was a no-brainer yes. 

Drove past drop box this am, rolled down window, voted. Ballot received by county this afternoon. Yay!

Thanks to all of you participating in our democracy, particularly those of you having to wait/stand in line. It's a nice, big middle finger to those who do not want you to vote at all. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, flatdawgs said:

researched non-partisan positions (judicial, school board)

Are those really non-partisan?  In the past, I have eschewed voting straight ticket because there have always been candidates in "less-partisan" races, usually judges, from both parties that were the most qualified/competent.

But now, fuck all that.  Anyone who would put an R by their name is unworthy of my vote.  Straight ticket/punish Republicans for the foreseeable future.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Are those really non-partisan?  In the past, I have eschewed voting straight ticket because there have always been candidates in "less-partisan" races, usually judges, from both parties that were the most qualified/competent.

Yes, the judicial positions in WA state are non-partisan, both at the state and local levels, as are school boards and, at least in Seattle, the mayor and city council (those are off-year elections and so we didn't vote for them this time; they will be ranked choice in 2027). You can't vote a straight party ticket anyway, nor is party registration really a thing here. Almost all of that dates back to the Progressive movement at the turn of the previous century when many Western states wanted to get corrupt party politics out of, well, politics. (King County, which Seattle is a part of, switched to non-partisan offices a couple of decades ago when it became clear to the GOP that even in the suburbs they were becoming unpopular and wanted to hide who they were; it didn't really work for them.) Statewide positions and the Lege are partisan and in other counties/cities they may be as well.

For the non-partisan positions I do study the state and county voters' guides as well as other sources - sometimes the candidate's statements in the guides are clear evidence; sometimes it's who they claim support from. There have at times been efforts by the right to "flood the zone" particularly when it comes to the state Supreme Court; to my relief the voters have seen through that to date. This year that didn't happen. We'll see what the voters think about the efforts via initiative to overturn some of the more progressive recent legislation to come out of Olympia. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

My wife has a problem with her knee and can't stand very long, so standing in line wasn't on the table. 

Apparently in Montgomery county, if you’re a white boomer with as little as a walking cane you can jump right to the front of the line without even having to ask. 

I have already heard from a neighbor who voted against the "massive" flood control tax increase. It would cost him around $150 a year. His house also flooded twice like mine (2016 Tax Day and 2017 Harvey). His house has also not flooded since the Flood Control District improvements even though we've had 3 major rain events in the last year. If the measure fails and he floods he will 100% blame the FCD. While he pays $900 per month for his jacked up truck so he can drive on paved roads from his suburban house to his suburban desk job. 

Humans are stupid. 

• Like 5
  • Rage+1 2

I voted yesterday during lunch.  It took 40 minutes and was the first time I've had to wait in line.  I live in a small county, but 5% of the registered voters here voted yesterday.  With the mail in ballots, it goes up to 7%.  This is usually a 85-90% Rep county, so I am interested to see what the breakdown is going to be this year.

• Hook 'Em 2

Austin Oaks church in SW Austin - yesterday afternoon.  Took 1 hour and 15 minutes.  Probably 100 people in line when I got there... snaked out the church and down the sidewalk into the Texas sun.  3 workers at the table, dozen voting machines.  Its Austin so I know how the county will vote but lots of olds in line.  Hopefully they're voting to keep their Medicare benefits.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Apparently in Montgomery county, if you’re a white boomer with as little as a walking cane you can jump right to the front of the line without even having to ask. 

That’s my sister’s father-in-law, it’s a shame you didn’t have a microwave around, you could have turned it on and he would have pissed his pants and thought he was Randy Quaid.

I was pleased with how fast my line moved when I voted.  Still wish we had mail-in ballots, but early voting rules.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just got back from early voting at Bastrop satellite office in Cedar Creek.  Buncha other olds, mostly farmer types.  Wife and I did not have to wait.  Went right up to the iPad check in (two operating), got recorded, and went right to machines (10 or 12, all in operation.)  Out in 5 or so minutes.  Probably among the few blue votes at that station.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

I have already heard from a neighbor who voted against the "massive" flood control tax increase. It would cost him around $150 a year. His house also flooded twice like mine (2016 Tax Day and 2017 Harvey). His house has also not flooded since the Flood Control District improvements even though we've had 3 major rain events in the last year. If the measure fails and he floods he will 100% blame the FCD. While he pays $900 per month for his jacked up truck so he can drive on paved roads from his suburban house to his suburban desk job. 

Humans are stupid. 

Ah, Cypress, TX. Where I hate to go, and where my inlaws bitch constantly about how their neighborhood is now filled up with low IQ asshole renters, all of which vote the exact same way she does. 

• Rage+1 1

Voted in Fort Bend County this morning around 9:45am.  Line was out the door about 100 deep, took little over 30 minutes.  They said it's been this way since yesterday and have never seen voter turnout so early so strong before.  They ran out of "I Voted" stickers twice already  (I've leave the - how do you do that on day 2??? till later as at least they haven't run out of anything else yet)

• Hook 'Em 2

I voted yesterday morning at a predominantly Black-attended church near my office.  I've voted there the last few election cycles.  Everyone there always has been kind and enthusiastic, and there uniformly is a lack of MAGAts in evidence.  The parking lot was full, but I hit a lull in the line and was in and out in fifteen minutes.  A long line filled in behind me.  My wife voted there this morning and had no wait.  

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ah, Cypress, TX. Where I hate to go, and where my inlaws bitch constantly about how their neighborhood is now filled up with low IQ asshole renters, all of which vote the exact same way she does. 

Hey! I don't rent!

4 hours ago, flatdawgs said:

Yes, the judicial positions in WA state are non-partisan, both at the state and local levels, as are school boards and, at least in Seattle, the mayor and city council (those are off-year elections and so we didn't vote for them this time; they will be ranked choice in 2027). You can't vote a straight party ticket anyway, nor is party registration really a thing here. Almost all of that dates back to the Progressive movement at the turn of the previous century when many Western states wanted to get corrupt party politics out of, well, politics. (King County, which Seattle is a part of, switched to non-partisan offices a couple of decades ago when it became clear to the GOP that even in the suburbs they were becoming unpopular and wanted to hide who they were; it didn't really work for them.) Statewide positions and the Lege are partisan and in other counties/cities they may be as well.

For the non-partisan positions I do study the state and county voters' guides as well as other sources - sometimes the candidate's statements in the guides are clear evidence; sometimes it's who they claim support from. There have at times been efforts by the right to "flood the zone" particularly when it comes to the state Supreme Court; to my relief the voters have seen through that to date. This year that didn't happen. We'll see what the voters think about the efforts via initiative to overturn some of the more progressive recent legislation to come out of Olympia. 

Yep, most times you can tell. If someone’s statement in the voters guide is all about ensuring fair and safe elections as a change in policy, you know. And many have endorsements listed from other candidates that have a party listed. 

WA is also open primary or whatever and the top 2 make the final ballot regardless of party affiliation, so a couple of races were choices between two from the same party. 

The effort to repeal the capital gains tax was a funny read, to me, with the spin they had to use. 

• Like 1

Wife and I will early vote sometime this week.  The girl sent her ballot back from the UK, already got confirmation that Travis County received it.  The boy just express mailed his ballot back from Germany today, so both kiddos have done their duty.

• Hook 'Em 3

Noted in the other thread, but yesterday around 11:00am or so, voted at the Dallas County Courthouse downtown.  It was probably 15-20 minutes tops from the time I walked in until the time I walked out.  It was a short line and it was moving pretty quickly.  

Felt good.  

Also, vote "NO" on propositions E, G, L, S, T, U.  We don't need some North Texas Musk style billionaire trying to undermine our city and county governments.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Noted in the other thread, but yesterday around 11:00am or so, voted at the Dallas County Courthouse downtown.  It was probably 15-20 minutes tops from the time I walked in until the time I walked out.  It was a short line and it was moving pretty quickly.  

Felt good.  

Also, vote "NO" on propositions E, G, L, S, T, U.  We don't need some North Texas Musk style billionaire trying to undermine our city and county governments.

Monty Bennett was a billionaire. Now he’s a broke, fucking loser. 

image.thumb.png.5ec33c29530ae18f0504ed9fe6c16aa9.png

• Hook 'Em 1

I live in Washington state.  Took my election info booklet and spent a couple of days over the weekend to read about the candidates and various proposals. 

Filled out the form, sealed it in its envelope, and deposited in in the voting drop box. 

It's a good system up here.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nuge said:

I live in Washington state.  Took my election info booklet and spent a couple of days over the weekend to read about the candidates and various proposals. 

Filled out the form, sealed it in its envelope, and deposited in in the voting drop box. 

It's a good system up here.  

Yeah, but you gotta live next to Idaho.  And those folks in Eastern Washington aren't much different.

But our neighbor is Oklahoma and we all know they suck so I guess its a wash.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

side track - haven’t been out that way in some time but really want to try brisket and rice 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Yeah, but you gotta live next to Idaho.  And those folks in Eastern Washington aren't much different.

Also next to Oregon, where Texas has…Louisiana. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Those folks stay on the other side of the Cascades.  It's all poly libtards over here by Portland.  

• Hook 'Em 2