The First Loss of the Season

Gandalfish

7 minutes ago, TexasEx said:

Texas v. Colorado. 2001 Big 12 Championship. That shit sucked. 

I have been at some shitty losses when the team had an opportunity to make a statement.  '95 Sugar Bowl and 2000 Stanford game come to mind, but neither really compare to this shit show right here ☝️.  Such a wasted opportunity.  

This one doesn't feel like any of the above, because this time we have a real shot at redemption.  

34 minutes ago, TXpride said:

This loss was particularly disappointing because we saw Texas get physically outclassed for the first time in 2 years. I don't see how you fix that other than getting better players. Not sure how we would stack up against Oregon or OSU, but without otherworldly QB play (ha) it's hard to imagine us beating a healthy UGA if we meet again.

I think we can beat any team in the country.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Has anyone mentioned those two Maryland losses?

Brutal.

haha this thread made me think of Maryland. and both BYU games with their gimpy qb running up and down the field. 

there were some dark, dark times. honestly this one doesn't come close. 

4 minutes ago, TXpride said:

Not without vastly improved QB play.

Nah. Doesn't have to be vastly so... just ummmm better. Okay, a lot better, just not vast, and particularly if accompanied by somebody stepping up in the RB room.

9 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Nah. Doesn't have to be vastly so... just ummmm better. Okay, a lot better, just not vast, and particularly if accompanied by somebody stepping up in the RB room.

It will need to be vastly better compared to what we saw Saturday. Their QB also played like shit, and the game was never really in doubt.

following a couple comments above

3 worst Texas games I have attended - in no specific order...

1997 UCLA at Texas - 66-3.  Sat through the entire thing, thinking, "It has to get better.  It has to get better."  It did not.
2012 OU-Texas - 63-21.  Texas starts the game with 2 decent defensive plays, then OU proceeded to march down the field and score a TD.  Texas blocked the kick and returned it.  6-2!  Texas/OU/Texas then went 3-and-out.  Then the rout was on.  36-2 at half.  46-8 after 3.  Stayed for the entire thing.
1994 Aggy at Texas - 34-10.  Aggy cheatery meant this game was not on TV (and not on T+1, either).  BIL and I were offered 4x face for our tickets in section 108.  "Nah; let's go."  Down 21-0, we said, "We could have used that money to buy beer at crown and anchor and listen to this on the radio."  Oh well.

As I have posted here, I attended both UND@Purdue and Nebraska@Purdue.  Both had 1997 UCLA/Texas vibes, but with less talent on the roster.

18 minutes ago, TXpride said:

It will need to be vastly better compared to what we saw Saturday. Their QB also played like shit, and the game was never really in doubt.

One score down going into the 4th quarter is room for doubt in the outcome. 

You're right, Beck was not particularly good. Fact.

11 minutes ago, Topper13 said:

I made the mistake of rewatching the game, last night. It ended with Monday night drinking, and being an asshole on the internet. I should have just punched myself in the nuts and called it a night.

Michael Richards Yes GIF

41 minutes ago, Topper13 said:

I made the mistake of rewatching the game, last night. It ended with Monday night drinking, and being an asshole on the internet. I should have just punched myself in the nuts and called it a night.

It is so so so much worse on rewatch because you see things that you can't unsee for the future without major changes. 

This wasn't some mistake laden game where Texas got dominated and just wasn't up to snuff. It was so much worse than that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

How have we made it this far without mentioning the goddam Crabtree game? Unlike any of these other years mentioned (including 1983), we were the best team in college football in 2008…

That one hurts to this very day. I still carry the anger from what happened afterwards with the "tie breaker".

I was at a conference for work a little after the decision was made. Some guy giving a presentation to a crowd of 80 people decided to opine on the situation. He said something about being impressed with the process and talked up ou.

I was in the very last row and couldn't help but stand up and object.

erroneous-vince-vaughn.gif

17 minutes ago, horn009 said:

We'll be favored in every single remaining game. Just win out and this loss will quickly become an after thought. At least it wasn't a loss to Iowa State or Kansas.

If aggy wins out, I doubt we'll be favored in College Station.

Edited by David Dennison