Good laptop for job search

So here’s the deal.  I haven’t looked for a job in 20 years, but I’m tired of my current gig and wanting to test the waters.  Obviously it’s not the best idea to use my work computer for writing resumes, cover letters and submitting applications.  I have an old shitty personal laptop, but all the applications are out of date.

What I’m looking for is advice on the best setup for doing all the work stuff but on my own computer.  I need a PC that can run basic MS office stuff and crate pdfs.  I have a docking setup for a Lenovo X1 Gen 11 at home, so ideally I could also hook this personal laptop up to that docking station. Should I go all out and buy a similar Lenovo or are there cheaper options that will get the job done?

Appreciate any advice on this simple question.  Rest assured, I’m not applying for IT jobs.

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

Go to the closest store and spend whatever your budget under $300 happens to be. 

So I can run Office reliably on a $300 laptop?  I was thinking I would have to spend a lot more than that for something decent.  Thanks for the advice BTW.

1 minute ago, Horn Dogg said:

So I can run Office reliably on a $300 laptop?  I was thinking I would have to spend a lot more than that for something decent.  Thanks for the advice BTW.

Computers are so fucking powerful now, unless you are gaming or doing some graphics editing its gonna be totally fine. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

Also look on Amazon there are Gen 6-10 X1 carbons for $300-$600. I've bought 3 over the last few years and each one has been great. They may or may not work with your docking setup as they are kinda old.

Looks like the Gen 7 and later work with my docking station.  It’s just that USB C universal version.  Thanks for the recommendation, I think I’m going to go this way.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Does subscribed get many more features on Word than free?  I've been curious about that for a while.

At this point there really isn't anything missing that you can't do because you can just use third party plugins with office online. The main difference is the included cloud storage.  Although I'd argue if you are storing more than 5GB of documents you should probably be looking at a different solution for that need anyway.