Menendez Brothers Resentenced: Eligible For Parole

cmontexas

actually i think they both got married in prison.

good for them. i think. i don't know. i was 100% confident the WM3 were innocent. i don't really know here. i mean their dad was clearly a tyrant and a pedo perv, so probably, yeah... good for them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

I didn't pay attention to the trial or the media circus surrounding this story but the general feeling was it was an open and shut case. Is it not? 

Yes they murdered them, the only question is if their excuse that their father abused them is true and if they “helped” their mom by killer her too and “saved” her from the father.  They were also 18 and 21 and could have just left and started their own lives.  

Edited by Hook1997

16 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

I didn't pay attention to the trial or the media circus surrounding this story but the general feeling was it was an open and shut case. Is it not? 

It seems likely they dealt with almost a lifetime of sexual abuse from their father, evidence which was barred from their 2nd trial after the first ended in a hung jury. Doesn’t make them right or innocent. But as someone else said 30 years in prison is far from nothing. 

33 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Yes they murdered them, the only question is if their excuse that their father abused them is true and if they “helped” their mom by killer her too and “saved” her from the father.  They were also 18 and 21 and could have just left and started their own lives.  

It's not as simple as the abused should just leave because they're adults.  That is if the abuse is true, of which I have no idea.

49 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

As mentioned, there is zero dispute that they murdered their parents. Then they partied like rock stars with the inheritance. They're famously in the background of Mark Jackson's NBA trading card right after the murders. They bought floor seats for a Laker game.

I don't know what hold an alleged abusive parent can hold over a child, but I think they were 19 and 21 at the time they murdered their parents. According Wikipedia, they bought the guns and two days later shot their parents while the parents were watching TV. After going out for dinner and a movie, they returned home to find that no one had called the cops. So they called the police crying how they found their parents shot. They were arrested 6 months later.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

9 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

It took six months? Solid detective work there Lou.  

They looked right past the brothers at first, not even considering them.  Apparently the father wasn't easy to get along with in the real world either.  He had made a lot of enemies in the business entertainment and record industry. 

The cops were even looking at it possibly being a mob hit. 

Like I said I don't know much about the original murders, but apart from the fact that this is one of the most infamous crimes in history and one of the more famous stories from the 90s, its relevance to today's landscape is interesting. 

As bkgd, the LA DA is George Gascon - I'm assuming he has heavy influence on the resentencing (if not being the outright drive behind the resentencing).  Gascon was the DA in SF between Kamala and Chesa Boudin.  He was criticized by many for his lenient policies wrt bail reform and lower level offenses-  policies which Chesa Boudin continued in his tenure.  This was in the mid teens when the crime rate started skyrocketing in the City and he caught flak for it. He left for LA for personal reasons and got elected outright as DA (and subsequently re-elected a couple years ago). 

30 years under that ground is a long time - if this starts a productive national discussion on what helpful reform looks like in the prison system I'm here for it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, SameSame said:

They looked right past the brothers at first, not even considering them.  Apparently the father wasn't easy to get along with in the real world either.  He had made a lot of enemies in the business entertainment and record industry. 

The cops were even looking at it possibly being a mob hit. 

I guess it says something about you when after you're murdered it takes six months to get through the list of who was motivated enough to do it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just based on the fact that they went to prison when I was a little kid and I am now firmly middle aged, if they are no longer a danger to society let them out. I was going to say let Leslie Van Houten out too but I guess they already did.

17 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Whether or not you believe the abuse allegations (I lean towards believing them), 30+ years in the can is a long fucking time. I don't think they're a danger to society, I'm fine with them getting parole. 

It’s not that long for blowing both your parents faces off with a shotgun. These are fucking psychopaths. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Hitch said:

It’s not that long for blowing both your parents faces off with a shotgun. These are fucking psychopaths. 

Yeah, I’d be a lot more sympathetic if they were younger kids when they did this, or if there was only 1 child involved, but they were adults when the murders took place. As fas as I understand it they also never reported the sexual abuse to anyone until after the murders when they were running around trying to establish an alibi.

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Just based on the fact that they went to prison when I was a little kid and I am now firmly middle aged, if they are no longer a danger to society let them out. I was going to say let Leslie Van Houten out too but I guess they already did.

Not saying they should get out but I believe that are still up to 4 Manson Family members in CA prisons including Tex Watson.

I heard an NPR report on the case this morning.  Yes, it sounds like their dad was a sexually abusive piece of shit, though I don't understand with able counsel how more of that information didn't come out until years later.  But whatever.  If it was just his death at issue, I can see a "they served their time" argument.

I still don't hear any mitigating circumstance for killing their mom.  So that, combined with their post-murder behavior of a Lloyd Christmas/Harry Dunne spending spree, I'm not ready to jump on the parole bandwagon.

Tell me what I'm missing.  

I think we can all agree that prisons don't act as rehabilitation centers in our country, so I don't know how "changed" or regretful they are. Would people still be upset whenever they got out? Is 30 years not long enough? What's the appropriate amount of time? Should all premeditated murder be life in prison?

I honestly don't have a firm answer to any of those.

Edited by aggie08

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

I think we can all agree that prisons don't act as rehabilitation centers in our country, so I don't know how "changed" or regretful they are. Would people still be upset whenever they got out? Is 30 years not long enough? What's the appropriate amount of time? Should all premeditated murder be life in prison?

I honestly don't have a firm answer to any of those.

Well, one thing that is fairly certain in criminology is that people age out of criminal behavior.  Around 50 is about where all but the most recidivist criminals seem to behave themselves pretty well after release.

Given that they were young at the time of the crime (still mal- or unformed brains), and under pressure/mitigating circumstances, I'm gonna bet we don't have much or any future trouble from los hermanos.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't see a reason to be particularly sympathetic to their plight. They got lucky because they're handsome and netflix showed a documentary about them. On a 1 to 10 scale of people incarcerated unjustly they rank near the bottom in my estimation.

Make no mistake, I'm not sympathetic to them in particular, I just think our sentencing is way out of whack.  Seems to me 20-30 years should be the max except for the absolute most heinous crimes.

That places an adult squarely in middle age, where they start to age out of crime, and is surely enough to make an impression.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I still don't hear any mitigating circumstance for killing their mom.  So that, combined with their post-murder behavior of a Lloyd Christmas/Harry Dunne spending spree, I'm not ready to jump on the parole bandwagon.

Tell me what I'm missing.  

Allegedly, they told their mom about the abuse and she shut them down. Either didn't believe them or knew and didn't care, and told them to STFU. So they felt she was complicit.

Edited by Sandman

2 hours ago, Hitch said:

I'm not saying they're cool dudes who deserve respect, I'm just saying I don't think they're gonna start killing again after they get released.