Elder Issues

Twice this year I have been contacted by elderly clients wanting a lawyer to help them close financial accounts and withdraw their (significant amounts of) money. This is not something for which legal assistance should be needed, and I am curious how big a problem this is, how long it's been an issue, and what is causing it. I'm thinking of writing a letter to my state senator. Does anyone have any experience with this? 

Might just be for their comfort level and to make sure they don't miss anything in this digital age (DocuSign etc). My MawMaw is still sharp at 90 but she won't do anything without my mother so she doesn't miss anything. Also might have helped to put Elderly financial issue in title. 

3 hours ago, Bookman said:

Twice this year I have been contacted by elderly clients wanting a lawyer to help them close financial accounts and withdraw their (significant amounts of) money. This is not something for which legal assistance should be needed, and I am curious how big a problem this is, how long it's been an issue, and what is causing it. I'm thinking of writing a letter to my state senator. Does anyone have any experience with this? 

Is your concern that they're asking/paying for legal help when it's not necessary or of the amounts involved?

I had a family member that was being emotionally abused by another relative that led to financial abuse. When I stepped in, and spoke to the small town bank, their informal comment was that they were worried there was something going on. But not worried enough to tell anyone!

When my mom started rapidly failing mentally, I was lucky that she readily agreed to give up access to her accounts. I always told that I would help her buy whatever she needed as long as it wasn't impacting her long term financial needs. Then I stuck her in a cheap nursing home and bought a boat. (just kidding)

• Haha 2