Tell me about New York City

On 9/18/2024 at 10:54 AM, SimonBolivar said:

Well our trip usual pre-Thanksgiving trip just became a trip that includes a 2.5 year old. We know what to do when it's just us, but what is there to do with a kid that age in late November?

Central Park Zoo (weather dependent) is good for a kid that age because it's in the middle of Manhattan (less travel time) and it's a very confined loop, so by the time your kid has entirely lost interest and/or is melting down, you are done and can get back to your hotel quickly.  The usual suggestion for kids would be American Museum of Natural History. I don't think you will make it long with a 2 year old, so just be ready to miss quite a bit.

I have an almost two year old, but I live in the west village downtown so all of my other suggestions are tied to the west side of lower Manhattan. 

In that area, assuming weather is nice and you are sufficiently dressed, you could stroll your kid around the Little Island and then, when they get antsy, take them a 10 minute walk down to the playground at Pier 51. This is also close to the Chelsea Market (indoors and stroller friendly) and Whitney Museum (indoors and stroller friendly, but obviously depends on your kid's tolerance for adult stuff - maybe Pier 51 after Whitney).  The lowest High Line entrance is also right there and is stroller friendly.

There are a surprising number of good restaurants that are kid friendly in the 5:00-7:00 dinner window. Meaning, they have high chairs and won't treat you like a pariah.  Don't expect a Texas-style kids menu, but if you want actual good food and not shit food in midtown, suggestions include: (1) Barbuto (we eat here once a week at least); (2) Pastis; (3) Anton's; and (4) Locanda Verde, which is farther downtown in TriBeca. All of those are also good lunch options. Pretty sure Locanda Verde does a Thanksgiving lunch if that is something you need.  I have plenty of other suggestions (again, mostly in the West Village and TriBeCa), just PM me if you need more help.

Breweries are also great for kids and adults, but all of those are in Brooklyn. If you want to venture that way, I can give suggestions. 

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock
  • Hook 'Em 3

• 2 weeks later...

So we're doing "Book of Mormon" Friday night.  The UCLA/Rutgers game is a nooner, so we'll need to rally pretty early on Saturday.  So rather than doing a post show dinner, thinking we do an early dinner and then a post show dessert or some such.  Any dinner recs in the Broadway area?  Figure better to get over in that area first and not battle traffic after eating.

12 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

So we're doing "Book of Mormon" Friday night.  The UCLA/Rutgers game is a nooner, so we'll need to rally pretty early on Saturday.  So rather than doing a post show dinner, thinking we do an early dinner and then a post show dessert or some such.  Any dinner recs in the Broadway area?  Figure better to get over in that area first and not battle traffic after eating.

Le Rock in Rockefeller. You can get a 5 pm res and let them know you have a show at 7. The theater is 2.5 blocks away.

Gallaghers is on 52nd and Broadway. It’s a short walk to the theater on 49th and Broadway.

Kochi at 10th and 46th, again, get the earliest res and tell them you have a show. It’s a short walk to the theater.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/9/2024 at 7:44 AM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Are you opposed to Uber.com for some reason? $100 ballpark. Expect a long walk in JFK and an hour car ride. 

I would grab a yello cab.  Yellow cab to Manhattan is something like $75 not including a tip.

Which terminal?  This is important as there is construction, and ubers and other cars are restricted due to the construction.  Terminal 8 (American and BA) still is at the terminal, but some of the others are bussed to a common area.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

Finback, Three's Brewing, Strong Rope, and Wild East are all close, but I cannot comment on quality of beer/food.  BierWax is a bar that is close, and would have excellent beer selection, but no idea on the food.  

If you are looking for dinner, closest restaurants I would go to are Pecking House and Sofreh (both on Flatbush Ave).  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/9/2024 at 6:44 AM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Are you opposed to Uber.com for some reason? $100 ballpark. Expect a long walk in JFK and an hour car ride. 

Uber is the like ten min bus to the ride share area, trying to avoid that

Luckily she almost never has to fly into JFK!

Thank y'all!

On 10/10/2024 at 12:52 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I would grab a yello cab.  Yellow cab to Manhattan is something like $75 not including a tip.

Which terminal?  This is important as there is construction, and ubers and other cars are restricted due to the construction.  Terminal 8 (American and BA) still is at the terminal, but some of the others are bussed to a common area.

On 10/7/2024 at 3:54 PM, Sbbruin said:

Well, plans changed.  Dodgers v Mets now on Friday.  And with a nooner UCLA game Saturday, we're doing dinner out then.  Son has suggested Buudakan.  Looks good.  I can't eat big portions as I now only have part of a stomach, so small plates sound ok.  Now just need to figure out what to do before we head to Citi Field.  Probably going to shoot to get out there well before gametime to not be in a rush.

14 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Well, plans changed.  Dodgers v Mets now on Friday.  And with a nooner UCLA game Saturday, we're doing dinner out then.  Son has suggested Buudakan.  Looks good.  I can't eat big portions as I now only have part of a stomach, so small plates sound ok.  Now just need to figure out what to do before we head to Citi Field.  Probably going to shoot to get out there well before gametime to not be in a rush.

Go Mets!

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

54 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Get there early and you can browse around the auto repair shops nearby.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Buudakan is great. Best dumplings I’ve had.

I still tell people to check out Beauty & Essex. It’s become my go-to brunch spot

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

I still tell people to check out Beauty & Essex. It’s become my go-to brunch spot

I'll need to check it out, but he has one in LA if he's trying to get stuff that he doesn't have at home.

Edit: NVM the LA one closed.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 1

I will say popping this morning for the bigger seat on Jet Blue for a few extra scheckles was worth it.  Window seat with an open middle.  Tons of room.  Free WiFi. Couple cocktails.  It will offset my double hell connecting Spirit airlines flight home through Detroit.

We’ll have really limited time tomorrow for activities before heading to Flushing.  Anyone do The Edge at Hudson Yard?  Looks cool.  I’ve done 9/11 and most other things.  We’re staying right by the Empire State Building so could do that too.  Thoughts?

On 10/17/2024 at 6:50 PM, Sbbruin said:

I will say popping this morning for the bigger seat on Jet Blue for a few extra scheckles was worth it.  Window seat with an open middle.  Tons of room.  Free WiFi. Couple cocktails.  It will offset my double hell connecting Spirit airlines flight home through Detroit.

We’ll have really limited time tomorrow for activities before heading to Flushing.  Anyone do The Edge at Hudson Yard?  Looks cool.  I’ve done 9/11 and most other things.  We’re staying right by the Empire State Building so could do that too.  Thoughts?

The Big Seat on Spirit is fairly tolerable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/17/2024 at 6:50 PM, Sbbruin said:

Nice win today, you guys did it and USC lost in spectacular fashion. Welcome to the Big 10.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/18/2024 at 6:33 PM, SimonBolivar said:

The Big Seat on Spirit is fairly tolerable. 

Was able to get that from NYC to Detroit.  Regular cattle seat from Detroit to LAX.  BUT there was probably only 2-3 open middle seats on the whole plane, and one of them was my row.  Whew!.   

On 10/17/2024 at 8:02 AM, Spankytoes said:

Buudakan is great. Best dumplings I’ve had.

Buddakan was fantastic.

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Was able to get that from NYC to Detroit.  Regular cattle seat from Detroit to LAX.  BUT there was probably only 2-3 open middle seats on the whole plane, and one of them was my row.  Whew!.   

We paid for the big seat from EWR to AUS last year and I thought it was easily worth the price. 

• Hook 'Em 1