¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

Rat snake. It didn’t go well. The rat snake was longer than the king snake so it was all wadded up inside. It eventually regurgitated the rat snake and reportedly felt much better. 

Photos from my neighbor Ed who some of you may know from new car fanatic thread. 

73b86dcc-f9a6-451a-b2e0-716891f22532.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

I love going to Bracken Cave and seeing them pounce on unsuspecting bats that are grounded. 

I've seen a couple of these videos.  Can you actually see the snakes when viewing the bats at Bracken Cave?  I'd go for that.

Binoculars to see the coaches go after the bats - there's a little distance between the benches you sit on and the area around the cave where the action takes place.  

No binoculars needed for the coaches that wander out from the rock formations right below the benches you're sitting on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Snake season like a mofo. 4 snakes in 2 days at the farm then this healthy rat snake was in the backyard conversating with the cat. Used hockey stick to place in tots and relocated to the woodsy area by the neighborhood park. I know they are beneficial snakes and not venomous but a new puppy and two kiddos made it an obvious choice. 

IMG_0088.jpeg

IMG_0086.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

A friend of mine had this visitor today. He hates snakes and wanted to kill it. I asked him if he liked rodents in and around his house. The snake went into the heater and my friend saw a filed mouse run out of the heater. He also heard the squeals of some babies in the heater that didn’t get so lucky. I’m hoping he leaves the snake alone. Good snake did its job.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

I saw a nice sized rattlesnake on Friday while mountain biking in a preserve in Cedar Park. It kind of startled the wife, but it was just slithering across the path so there wasn't anything to worry about.

• Hook 'Em 1

This morning I heard a bunch of scrub jays screeching, and I could tell there was something going on besides just being annoying.  There were at least 6 of them hopping around in one tree, and they weren't fighting each other.  So I went outside to look, and there was also a cardinal and a wren bouncing around and swooping down at something on the ground.  It was this little rat snake, with a full belly.  There's a red oak leaf at the bottom of the picture for scale.

20240616_091314.thumb.jpg.34b73669cab7c38bf1fd720c6ea66a5c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Props getting a pic. I locked my brakes just after going through a railroad/creek crossing about a week ago when one shot out in front of me. There was nobody behind me, so I jumped out to make sure I hadn’t hit him. Sure enough there he was, so I tried to urge him in the direction he was going to begin with (tall grass, and collected water). I laughed out loud as he continued to face me, while back slithering(?) across the road with the “COME AT ME BRO” demeanor. Cool sneks, racers.

• Haha 2

Went to the Quivira scout camp a few times as a kid. Were a lot of racers up there, black and blue.

We’d all take turns racing them, and had a lot of fun. Sneks didn’t care, were never aggressive, and seemed to have as much fun as we were.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dad sent me this. Only one he took of it. He said copper head. I said moccasin. He also fished it out and shot it, so I’m sure he’s right. And the more I look at the pattern I see copper head. 

but I found it interesting with the shade and the sun. 

any thoughts from that picture?

2000000000117446.jpeg

19 minutes ago, HendersonHorns said:

Dad sent me this. Only one he took of it. He said copper head. I said moccasin. He also fished it out and shot it, so I’m sure he’s right. And the more I look at the pattern I see copper head. 

but I found it interesting with the shade and the sun. 

any thoughts from that picture?

2000000000117446.jpeg

Where was this?

We back up to a greenbelt and have a pool. This is a fear of mine.

So far I've only seen a rat snake (id'd in this thread) and what I believe to be a ribbon snake (pic below) based on the google.

thumbnail_IMG_2022.jpg

1 minute ago, Spoosner said:

Where was this?

So far I've only seen a rat snake (id'd in this thread) and what I believe to be a ribbon snake (pic below) based on the google.

thumbnail_IMG_2022.jpg

East Texas. Between Henderson and nacogdoches  

he lives on 200 acres. Wooded and pasture. 

my mom had the pool put in about 1995 and it’s the first venomous snake he has found swimming. A lot of harmless snakes though. I wouldn’t fear it too bad, but just pay attention opening those filter tops

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Spoosner said:

Where was this?

thumbnail_IMG_2022.jpg

That is a Patch-nosed snake, nonvenomous colubrid, eats other snakes reptiles and small mammals. Cool snake.

image.jpeg.f19586dc2c725952a7941d42e190d740.jpeg

Edited by 4th and 5
Added a good pic
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 6/19/2024 at 2:10 AM, gsoda3 said:

Broad banded water snake

On 6/19/2024 at 12:20 AM, Lerka Lerka said:

That looks like a water moccasin 

IMG_2937.thumb.png.48fa6f0cdbe0f93545b428fbdf47f180.png

They can look very similar to be sure, but I think this guy’s nose and the head look more like a moccasin to me. I think a water snake head would be rounder.

And it’s hard to tell, but it also looks like he has that hood over his eye.   Cool snake either way.

Posted (edited)

Like a lot of snakes, nerodia (common water snake of several varieties), can flatten its head so it looks like a pit viper sometimes.

Distinguishing them from moccasins can be difficult.

One of the key features I think is that most nerodia have a series of vertical lines or stripes on their lower jaw.  Somewhat visible on the pic above, definitely so below.

full.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=4edf9e3a0db438f1

When they're that dark, muted color like above, they especially look like moccasins.  And you may have to be danger close to tell the difference.

The only thing that creeps me out about snek is that they are often so well camouflaged that they can really startle you by appearing seemingly out of nowhere.  Those circumstances don't lend themselves to accurate id.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2024 at 1:34 PM, thunderlounge said:

Went to the Quivira scout camp a few times as a kid.

We are apparently twinsies.  I was a Scout of Troop 703 in Wichita, Kansas back in the day and that was our summer hang out.

I do not remember racers. I do remember thunderstorms and funnel clouds.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Hiked up to the cliff dwellings at Bandelier in New Mexico this weekend and my 7 year old spotted a snek on our trail. No idea what kind it was, but it did not look friendly so we didn't stick around to take pics. My kids now call them sneks thanks to me.

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Like a lot of snakes, nerodia (common water snake of several varieties), can flatten its head so it looks like a pit viper sometimes.

Distinguishing them from moccasins can be difficult.

One of the key features I think is that most nerodia have a series of vertical lines or stripes on their lower jaw.  Somewhat visible on the pic above, definitely so below.

full.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=4edf9e3a0db438f1

cosign everything everything you say. 

The moccasin below has some face striping as well. This guy also has The brown mask that comes close to covering his eye, which Nerodia won’t have.  I thought the original picture we were looking at had that brown mask but it doesn’t look so pronounced

IMG_2940.jpeg.fab5ee15df894418e90f2dc7a3b2fe01.jpeg

IMG_2941.png.243459da61963e74db481a9fd9cc9c67.png

Unless I can see a pit between his nostril and eye it is difficult to tell.  and I sure don’t wanna get close enough to see the cottonmouth’s vertical cat eye pupil versus the round watersnake one.  The original snake picture is a great lesson not to get too close until you are really sure what the heck it is.

But looking at it closer, I think I would fall off the fence on Nerodia.  I just wish I could see how skinny his neck is - and if I could see the top of his head from above, if I could see his eyes.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/17/2024 at 1:34 PM, thunderlounge said:

Went to the Quivira scout camp a few times as a kid. Were a lot of racers up there, black and blue.

We’d all take turns racing them, and had a lot of fun. Sneks didn’t care, were never aggressive, and seemed to have as much fun as we were.

Damn, I blew right past your Quivira comment. I wasn't  in Scouting but a lot of my buddies spent time at that ranch. Our family farm is a couple counties north of Quivira in the middle of the Flint Hills. I would imagine that you also saw the little prairie rattlesnakes that are common in the meadows.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Okie State said:

Hiked up to the cliff dwellings at Bandelier in New Mexico this weekend and my 7 year old spotted a snek on our trail. No idea what kind it was, but it did not look friendly so we didn't stick around to take pics. My kids now call them sneks thanks to me.

I was there about a month ago and saw a diamondback making its way along the trail.  

1 hour ago, smwhorn said:

I was there about a month ago and saw a diamondback making its way along the trail.  

That may have been what it was. I didn't get a good look. My wife said it looked venomous so we grabbed the kids and boogied.