Who should we blame for Bro Country?

GhostOfTomJoad

2 minutes ago, DougO said:

Pretty much every legit genre of music is dead now, replaced by recycled soylent green dreck. Even the shittier popular forms that emerged in the 80s and 90s seem listenable compared to today's regeration.

All you can do is dig through everything you can and sift through the trash to find some hidden gems, both past and present, that were never allowed to by the industry to gain significant play.

This is way off. There are a bazillion legit artists out there these days, in country most of all probably.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, DougO said:

Pretty much every legit genre of music is dead now, replaced by recycled soylent green dreck.

Nah.  Not even close, unless you're judging every "genre" as one single whole.

There are a ton of legitimate artists out there in every genre imaginable.  The business model has mostly flipped -- record to make money touring as opposed to tour to make money selling records -- but music is not dead.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

52 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

This new music sucks. Same thing our dads said to us, and their dads said to them. 
We’re getting older. 

All true.  

But my disdain for Bro Country has nothing to do with its newness.  There are a ton of even newer genres that I either embrace or am indifferent towards.  

My disgust for it is based on the distinction between art and commerce.  And the fact that the teams of (mostly Nashville-based) musicians/producers/engineers making it actually *could* make great art if they chose to do so.  

But they don't.  

3 hours ago, DougO said:

Pretty much every legit genre of music is dead now, replaced by recycled soylent green dreck. Even the shittier popular forms that emerged in the 80s and 90s seem listenable compared to today's regeration.

All you can do is dig through everything you can and sift through the trash to find some hidden gems, both past and present, that were never allowed to by the industry to gain significant play.

I really appreciate what the Internet and Napster did. So much music was foreign to me. Now I can just go fold anytime from any time from any land. 

And I like Garth Brooks. I mean, what's wrong with "No Fences"?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slacks said:

I really appreciate what the Internet and Napster did. So much music was foreign to me. Now I can just go fold anytime from any time from any land. 

Back in the day Myspace was a great gateway to new bands, by seeing what other new bands your favorite bands were promoting on the front of their page, and then just linking one after another. It's a shame it eventually suffocated under the tsunami of spam and bullshit that made it unusable. Facebook is almost worthless for similar purposes.

The internet of the 90s and early 2000s was great for discovering music, old and new. Used to hang around alot of music oriented message boards and try out tons of recommendations. The resources aren't as good any more. They just keep steering you back to the mainstream crapola.

1 hour ago, Slacks said:

I have no idea what I typed. Swype is not my first language.

Obligatory.

I love this comment:

I DJ’d for my cousins wedding. And during the intermission between the ceremony and the reception (during the time the wedding party took their photos) the groom made a very special request… To play specifically this song and only this song- on repeat. That intermission was an hour and a half long. The venue was a small pavilion. And the attendees had no shelter from the life long damage this song is capable of doing in that length of time. The glares we received from the families were incredible. What an honor it truly was.

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don't have the desire to look it up & frankly wouldn't dream of posting a link to the video even if I found it, but while waiting to watch some football last Saturday at my local pub and before they switched the house audio over to the games, an auto tuned abomination by some slapdick was playing on TouchTunes. The chorus was simply him professing to being "a cold beer drink-errrrrrr."

Two things:
1) that "song" may rival We Built This City by Starship as the worst shit ever, and
2) the performer will undoubtedly be set for life performing it & the songwriters likely just bought another mansion due to the bro country dudes & dudettes almost certainly claiming it as their personal anthem.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I don't have the desire to look it up & frankly wouldn't dream of posting a link to the video even if I found it, but while waiting to watch some football last Saturday at my local pub and before they switched the house audio over to the games, an auto tuned abomination by some slapdick was playing on TouchTunes. The chorus was simply him professing to being "a cold beer drink-errrrrrr."

Two things:
1) that "song" may rival We Built This City by Starship as the worst shit ever, and
2) the performer will undoubtedly be set for life performing it & the songwriters likely just bought another mansion due to the bro country dudes & dudettes almost certainly claiming it as their personal anthem.

Is anyone really a warm beer drinker?

59 minutes ago, DougO said:

Just for the record, I hate Garth Brooks. He's like the Dave Matthews of hokey fakeass country. 

C'mon, it's not nice to pick on someone mentally challenged, like Dave Matthews. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1