Surly official camping and backpacking thread

Chuychanga

15 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Fuck yeah.  Amazing.  Where exactly?  I have my sights on the Chicago Basin in the next couple of years.

we hiked into crater lake, near platoro. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Fuck yeah.  Asshole.  You didn't tell me you were doing that.  

Kind of a last minute thing. Really well maintained trail.

59 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I'm sure any one of them could give you a lift back to Texas when they leave in a couple weeks.

Mi gente!

So fires in Idaho, specifically the Wapita Fire, is causing the evacuation of Grand Jean and Stanley. This pretty much puts our destination area exactly in the middle. I think the trail is on fire or at least in a sever warning. They canceled our reservations at Stanley Lake, reserved as back up if someone had to bail or if we stayed for one more night after exiting.

Soooooooooo. Four of us have flights to Boise, ID, in exactly 2 weeks. Yes, we will watch the Michigan game, but after that, it's probably going to be a major pivot.

There's probably stuff near Boise not on fire. That Oregon link may come in super handy @Biff Tannen. Yellowstone is 5 1/2 hours away, but we are not tourist. We want to do through hikes or day pack from a base camp. The Enchantments are 7 1/2 hours away. Hear they are amazeballs but their reservation system is nuts and long gone and don't know if they reserve some passes for walk up requests. I'm seeing Hell's Canyon/Snake River and the Seven Devil's Mountain Range which seems to be the States' dividing line, but we are not experienced now prepared for kayaking.

Anyone have any thoughts? Maybe the fire will go out and we can hike a Mars landscape. But the fire started in late July and is 10% contained.

Sooooooo, Hook'em.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2024 at 12:21 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Can you get to the Winds?  That is always a crown jewel for hikers. No idea if there’s a permit system though. 

That looks epic. Minimal training this year (once again) and need better/lighter gear.

This year is my friend's pick. We are up to 4 us. He picked Idaho because of the minimal thinking/planning/permits involved. Had to call an audible last minute because of fires near Stanley Lake.

We are going to make a loop out of this trail. The further on trails might not be heavily traveled. We'll see, or not be able to see. It's near the Idaho/Wyoming border. Might be able to see the Teton's from Palisade Peak.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/idaho/upper-palisades-lake-trail

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

That looks epic. Minimal training this year (once again) and need better/lighter gear.

This year is my friend's pick. We are up to 4 us. He picked Idaho because of the minimal thinking/planning/permits involved. Had to call an audible last minute because of fires near Stanley Lake.

We are going to make a loop out of this trail. The further on trails might not be heavily traveled. We'll see, or not be able to see. It's near the Idaho/Wyoming border. Might be able to see the Teton's from Palisade Peak.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/idaho/upper-palisades-lake-trail

Fuck yeah, beautiful.