San Antonio

TexasHooch

Posted (edited)

Just wanted to report back on our trip from Austin to Fiesta, TX last week.  We went ahead and followed the routes from google maps and sure enough it routed us through I10/1604.  It was still messy but WAY better than last time, maybe they were doing work on the other side or something?  Also, knowing which lanes to be in (there are TWO that turn left onto the road that leads to Fiesta Texas) helped us quite a bit as well.

Anyway, thanks to all for the suggestions!  We came back via 281, it was a nice drive, way better I suspect, than I35 would have been between 5-7 PM on a Friday...

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 6/29/2024 at 5:41 PM, miguelito said:

I don't know where your casa is, but Mr Juicy is opening a new place on NW Military sometime soon.

Moving into the old A frame Whataburger left abandoned like 8 years ago.  I drive by coming home from work and my daughters school pretty much daily

• Hook 'Em 1

Went to give blood with the old lady late this morning, at the HEB on 1604  and Bandera.   On the way saw a tour of retro places to eat.  Luby's, Jim's, and Taco Cabana all within shouting distance of each other.  I realized a while back Jim's is closing and I have never eaten there, so I suggested Jim's after blood draw, and it was absolutely acceptable.  I picked three favorites from my time at Luby's in the 90s, Beef Liver and onions, Mac, and fried okra.  Food hot, acceptably seasoned, nice meal.  The old lady picked a senior omelette.  Price was acceptable for me, after tip, $28.  

The bad news came after the meal, when I went to the bathroom.  Urinal did not flush, Tragedy by Bee Gees was most appropriately playing, and I soon discovered why.  Cockroach in the bathroom.   There is a reason Jim's are closing. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JGrayDBU said:

Went to give blood with the old lady late this morning, at the HEB on 1604  and Bandera.   On the way saw a tour of retro places to eat.  Luby's, Jim's, and Taco Cabana all within shouting distance of each other.  I realized a while back Jim's is closing and I have never eaten there, so I suggested Jim's after blood draw, and it was absolutely acceptable.  I picked three favorites from my time at Luby's in the 90s, Beef Liver and onions, Mac, and fried okra.  Food hot, acceptably seasoned, nice meal.  The old lady picked a senior omelette.  Price was acceptable for me, after tip, $28.  

The bad news came after the meal, when I went to the bathroom.  Urinal did not flush, Tragedy by Bee Gees was most appropriately playing, and I soon discovered why.  Cockroach in the bathroom.   There is a reason Jim's are closing. 

Solid pie

14 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Wait Jim’s is closing?

One at a time.  It is obvious to me why, after experiencing the place.  This is a very large dining room, reminded me of Luby's.  Property taxes and all other kinds of overhead are way too expensive to stay open.  Probably all be gone in 18 months or less. 

11 minutes ago, JGrayDBU said:

One at a time.  It is obvious to me why, after experiencing the place.  This is a very large dining room, reminded me of Luby's.  Property taxes and all other kinds of overhead are way too expensive to stay open.  Probably all be gone in 18 months or less. 

That makes me very sad. Jim’s at 3am was a regular of my college life

• Hook 'Em 1

In town a couple of days for golf and to  avoid the hurricane ….

Burger Boy - a damn good drive thru burger. Very tasty and crinkle cut fries. Would love to have one in Houston 

Fred’s Fish is high on my to do list 

On 6/28/2024 at 12:58 PM, Helobious said:

I haven’t been to Chris madrids in probably 15 years. I know it sucked for a little bit, does it un-suck now? Trying to find new date spots

I just ate lunch there a couple of hours ago. It was great, as always, which means you would probably hate it. Not really what I think about for a romantic date spot, but then again...  Helobious'd.

On 7/7/2024 at 11:30 AM, randomhorn said:

Got to give it up for Singh’s on St Mary’s

❤️

Singh's is really good. Love the brisket banh mi. The 12% in-house dining fee still pisses me off, but at least they mention it to you now when you check out vs. before when they would just tack it on and you wouldn't understand how 3 sandwiches cost you like $50.

They closed the Jims on Broadway across from the Witte, the one on Hildebrand/San Pedro, and the one at 410/San Pedro. I'm not sure about the one at Broadway/410. I pity this generation that won't experience the joy of a drunk chicken fried steak and eggs at 2:30 AM after the bars close. And if I still had a bookie, I wouldn't know where to go  any more to pay him off. That was just standard operating procedure to meet in the Jim's parking lot. 

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

Burger Boy - a damn good drive thru burger. Very tasty and crinkle cut fries. Would love to have one in Houston 

Burger Boy is great. You should put Fred's Fish Fry on your to do high list, though.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

After giving blood, I hinted about the blanket or whatever I was to receive for donating.  The lady replied that my wife took that stuff, and I later noticed 2 $10 coupons for Rudy's BBQ.  I just took a look at their online menu.....and the outrageous pricing.  I think I will solve this by ordering 1/3 pound of brisket for $8.68 + tax.  I guess that is 3 slices of brisket. I wonder if they even throw in onions or pickles or anything, probably not. 

I guess you can tell by now I haven't paid for brisket in about 4 years.  My brother-in-law is a competition brisket smoker, and I wrote a ridiculously high check for an entire brisket: smoked, sliced, and sealed very well 4 years ago.  My wife brought it up to Alaska and we had about 4 brisket meals. 

7 minutes ago, JGrayDBU said:

After giving blood, I hinted about the blanket or whatever I was to receive for donating.  The lady replied that my wife took that stuff, and I later noticed 2 $10 coupons for Rudy's BBQ.  I just took a look at their online menu.....and the outrageous pricing.  I think I will solve this by ordering 1/3 pound of brisket for $8.68 + tax.  I guess that is 3 slices of brisket. I wonder if they even throw in onions or pickles or anything, probably not. 

I guess you can tell by now I haven't paid for brisket in about 4 years.  My brother-in-law is a competition brisket smoker, and I wrote a ridiculously high check for an entire brisket: smoked, sliced, and sealed very well 4 years ago.  My wife brought it up to Alaska and we had about 4 brisket meals. 

All of the San Antonio Rudy’s are terrible. They are owned by the original location not by Rudy’s corporate. 
The brisket is always so dry and they don’t know how to cut it. 

Helo doesn’t like your opinion
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

All of the San Antonio Rudy’s are terrible. They are owned by the original location not by Rudy’s corporate. 
The brisket is always so dry and they don’t know how to cut it. 

Rudy’s has fallen off the cliff, it’s horrible 

Was in town for a hot minute last week and had a glorious breakfast at Garcia's.  If that place were near me, I'd be there weekly.  #4 Mexican plate plus brisket taco.  Red salsa is the shit.

32 minutes ago, NoName said:

Hit up Tacos n Salsa...again, and the trash can taco was awesome...again.

I didn’t think this place would be good because it looks like a gringo place but tried it because they had an Uber eats special. Got damn their asada naoch slams and goes hard. Been a fan ever since

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/9/2024 at 7:01 AM, creeper said:

Was in town for a hot minute last week and had a glorious breakfast at Garcia's.  If that place were near me, I'd be there weekly.  #4 Mexican plate plus brisket taco.  Red salsa is the shit.

I've made the argument before that Garcia's is the best restaurant in town. Not the best Mexican food, the best restaurant, period. So, so good.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I've made the argument before that Garcia's is the best restaurant in town. Not the best Mexican food, the best restaurant, period. So, so good.

Which garcias are we talking about? I need to hit it up ASAP 

21 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I want to try Garcia’s but the hours of operation are hilarious. If you have a job literally the only day you can eat there is saturday. 

I may hit it up for lunch today. Never been. 

I see that we have lost Maria's #2 on Harry Wurzbach and Byrne road. Used to crash at friends' a few blocks away, and go over there and get lard breakfast tacos every morning. You could hike 30 miles with one of those lumps in your stomach, but truth is you'd probably just lay around.