San Antonio

TexasHooch

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2024 at 3:20 PM, SimonBolivar said:

Had us a nice couple days in SA last week and hit up La Fonda (again), Taquitos West Ave, Supper, and Southerleigh (again). 

Not a bad couple days of eatin' 

How was Supper? I was super disappointed with their brunch.

13 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

How was Supper? I was super disappointed with their brunch.

I expected more, but it was fine overall. Honestly our "fine dining" place here in Waco is more like Supper than real fine dining and we like it better than Supper. We prefer Southerleigh and Botika, but we did like it better than Boiler House. We need to give Boiler House another shot.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I expected more, but it was fine overall. Honestly our "fine dining" place here in Waco is more like Supper than real fine dining and we like it better than Supper. We prefer Southerleigh and Botika, but we did like it better than Boiler House. We need to give Boiler House another shot.

Where's your place in Waco?  Just curious.

12 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

135 Prime, had my wedding reception there though so it most be nostalgia playing a factor.

Thanks.  I don't know anything about fine dining in Waco, just wondering.  Have you ever tried a place called Pignetti's?   A good friend of mine is one of the owners and operators, he's got a couple decades in the restaurant business in Austin, and  a few years back decided to move to Waco to open a new concept.

(apologies for the hijack, San Antonio thread)

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Thanks.  I don't know anything about fine dining in Waco, just wondering.  Have you ever tried a place called Pignetti's?   A good friend of mine is one of the owners and operators, he's got a couple decades in the restaurant business in Austin, and  a few years back decided to move to Waco to open a new concept.

(apologies for the hijack, San Antonio thread)

Yeah it's a good place though I do enjoy Di Campli's more. Pignetti's has been a Temple institution for a long time so their location opening in Waco was something of a known commodity by foodies in Waco already.

• Hook 'Em 1

the craziest shit happened to my family and me yesterday on broadway downtown. We had just finished taking our first family pictures with our newborn and I saw this homeless lady that was strung out punching herself in the head and talking to no one. So we got close to our car(she was across the street), I give my wife the diaper bag and some stuff I was carrying to put in the backseat with her. I prep our stroller/car seat to quickly put in the car because the lady made me nervous. As I put my son into the car shut the door and go to open the driver door she takes off running toward me. Stops halfway turns around runs back to her stuff, grabs a 8 inch butcher knife and charges toward me. I slam the driver door she stops and starts screaming she knows me. Then sprints right up to the door stabbing motion with the knife I lock the door and drive the fuck off. Call 911 and she got arrested.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I'm much less surprised that some mentally ill person downtown tried to stab BO&W than cajun up here casually ordering cho and egg puffy tacos. WTF? Breakfast puffy tacos? I've never heard of such a thing. It's always, "Chicken or beef, de puff?"  It's genius and I'm sure it's delicious, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

On 7/27/2024 at 9:25 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

the craziest shit happened to my family and me yesterday on broadway downtown. We had just finished taking our first family pictures with our newborn and I saw this homeless lady that was strung out punching herself in the head and talking to no one. So we got close to our car(she was across the street), I give my wife the diaper bag and some stuff I was carrying to put in the backseat with her. I prep our stroller/car seat to quickly put in the car because the lady made me nervous. As I put my son into the car shut the door and go to open the driver door she takes off running toward me. Stops halfway turns around runs back to her stuff, grabs a 8 inch butcher knife and charges toward me. I slam the driver door she stops and starts screaming she knows me. Then sprints right up to the door stabbing motion with the knife I lock the door and drive the fuck off. Call 911 and she got arrested.

Between stuff like this and the 2 innocent people getting killed by stray bullets over the past 2 months, I don’t have much desire to go downtown again.

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Between stuff like this and the 2 innocent people getting killed by stray bullets over the past 2 months, I don’t have much desire to go downtown again.

As we were driving back home I told my wife this sentiment as well. “And that’s why I don’t like going down town” 

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm much less surprised that some mentally ill person downtown tried to stab BO&W than cajun up here casually ordering cho and egg puffy tacos. WTF? Breakfast puffy tacos? I've never heard of such a thing. It's always, "Chicken or beef, de puff?"  It's genius and I'm sure it's delicious, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

Yeah, I’m struggling with it too. I’m sure it’s good, but corn tortillas with eggs is weird. 

Good news:

last two times at Tacquira Datapoint confirm this is some really good Tex-Mex.  They've lost their good looking ladies for the most part, but there is still one that really does it for me. 

Lunch special is the only thing I will eat there, cuz I'm cheap.  $9.99 cash price, plus 20% tip and tax, and the special includes tea.

Ate lunch special at 4:00 p.m. the other day, which is really great as well. 

First time was Chile relleno and second time beef enchiladas.  

I've eaten there only twice this summer, trying not to get burnt out.  

Bad news: Bill Miller, the wife wanted chicken from BM today.  She is picky, has to have breast.  I found the hack on the chicken sandwich, ordered the chicken sandwich for me to eat while the wife sleeps.  BM accidentally gives me both the fries and the pintos.  I ate there. Combo meal under $9.  Yes!

But then I ordered the four piece chicken to go and offered to pay extra to get two breasts, didn't look and came home to 2 thighs and 2 backs. 

Called manager, he offered to make it good, went over there and turns out they don't know what a breast is.  Looked like someone took a hacksaw to a breast and I had two half breasts.  Oh well.  

I need to find either a chicken express or golden chick.  They probably exist here, just haven't looked yet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Bill Miller is the best chain BBQ restaurant that I know of.  Price to value is pretty damn good.  It's not easy to make that much BBQ for that many restaurants (77) and expect Texas Monthly quality BBQ. 

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Spoken like a man who hates fried chicken, French fries fried in beef fat, and iced tea.

I don’t drink tea. Their fried chicken is the only thing that’s decent. The fries are good but they literally only give you about 4, and the BBQ is inedible.

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Spoken like a man who hates fried chicken, French fries fried in beef fat, and iced tea.

Bill Millers breakfast is good too...

Brisket, potato, egg and cheese is good. Yes their brisket is ass but not many place you can get it as a breakfast taco option.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Brisket, potato, egg and cheese is good. Yes their brisket is ass but not many place you can get it as a breakfast taco option.

Tell me more about these breakfast tacos with ass as an option.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/5/2024 at 9:10 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

bill millers sausage and potato taco, extra salsa is easily top 10% of breakfast tacos 

unsweet iced tea, extra lime

god damn GIF

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yup. Fucking whack. I love missions games and have no desire to go downtown for them

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yup. Fucking whack. I love missions games and have no desire to go downtown for them

After being attacked with a knife downtown I have no desire to go there much anymore but I have less desire to go to a missions game at their current stadium even though it’s like 20 minutes from our far west side house. 

21 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

institute of Texans cultures, I believe 

No... It's by San Pedro Creek Project.  So think old Fox Tech High School area. Graham Weston and his group have been buying up property

Not far from Bill Miller Headquarters...

Edited by Chico_SA
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

20 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

After being attacked with a knife downtown I have no desire to go there much anymore but I have less desire to go to a missions game at their current stadium even though it’s like 20 minutes from our far west side house. 

You’re missing out. Just an old baseball park where you can basically sit anywhere, get a good beer, and watch baseball. 
Avoid dollar nights obviously.

Plus the preseason games against the Mexican league teams are awesome. Rowdy atmosphere everytime.

On 8/5/2024 at 9:00 AM, Helobious said:

I don’t drink tea. Their fried chicken is the only thing that’s decent. The fries are good but they literally only give you about 4, and the BBQ is inedible.

Only four fries? Maybe they just want you out of their restaurant as soon as possible.