San Antonio

TexasHooch

My kids really like Shilo's.  It's just off the river. If your days aren't already fully booked up, I would also consider going to the zoo and/or the Witte, then stopping at the Pearl on the way back to the hotel. Lots of good places to eat there, plus an ice cream place for the kids (and a splash pad if they are young enough to enjoy that).    

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, midtown said:

I mean no one should go to Bubba gump or hardrock but has Boudros and Biga falling off that bad? 

There is also a Paesano and Silo down there.  Not to mention a Palm and Bohannans just off the riverwalk. 

Yep.  Boudros is on the river, and it's good.  And once they opened up a Paesano down there (as in, you can get Shrimp Paesano), that's our dinner choice if we're going to be on the river.  Both are great choices.

16 minutes ago, 3shot said:

My kids really like Shilo's.  It's just off the river. 

And a co-sign for Shilo's.  It's literally just up the stairs from the river and across one street.  Great old-school deli.

The point being, there are good places to eat on the river.  There are LOTS of bad places, but there are some good places.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 9/25/2024 at 11:50 PM, po elvis said:

Before you mentioned them, I was going to say they have better Parisa than Dzuiks, and they are in San Antonio. I would put Tri-County, then Country Mart in D'Hanis, then Alvarez, then Dzuiks. Silver Creek in Hondo has some but can't remember if I've had theirs. I do like that place though.

I didn’t like theirs as much as Dziuks tbh. They didn’t seem to use as fine of a grind which made it harder to dip the saltines without breaking 

18 hours ago, deft said:

I just realized that Fredericksburgers moved from old Fred to Braun and bandera. It’s less than 5 from my house so I’ll finally get around to trying them.

They moved into the gas station? I hadn't even noticed the Indian/Sri Lankan place had closed. Yeah. Less than 5 mins for me also.  That place has actually housed some decent restaurants.  The original Vn Bistro was there. 

963208f9d474efbe4345c6c15e8369b4.jpg
Slammed and went hard. No Sysco. All hand breaded onion rings, fried pickles, mushrooms, japs, chicken tendies(kids, amirite?), etc. I guess the fries were out of a bag but then they dust them with a hint of lemon pep. Chefs kiss.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 10/3/2024 at 3:19 PM, hobbes2702 said:

I didn’t like theirs as much as Dziuks tbh. They didn’t seem to use as fine of a grind which made it harder to dip the saltines without breaking 

IMO Dziuks is too cheesy.

Thoughts from an out-of-town visitor after a long weekend in SA:

• Dough was fucking delicious. Very nice place.
  • We only had guac/apps/kids meals at Boudro's. It was fine. Nothing special but it works if you're on the Riverwalk.
  • La Panaderia for breakfast is great. There was a line on Saturday and Sunday but it seemed to move OK. It's a little gringo-fied but I can't deny that the pastries were top notch.
  • We had some killer breakfast tacos from Garcia's on Fredericksburg Rd.
  • Acenar was disappointing IMO. Food, service, and atmosphere all subpar.
  • I know there's been some controversy and political wrangling over it, but the Alamo is in much better shape than the last time I visited several years ago. The building they built to house the artifact collection and the gate outside were both new to me. Hopefully whatever they're doing to the plaza will be cool. It's a total mess right now.
  • Downtown SA (Riverwalk, Alamo, etc) is a gem. Sure there's a touristy element, but if you can't enjoy a nighttime cruise or sitting out having a drink while the world walks by, there's something very wrong with you.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, tokamak said:

The building they built to house the artifact collection and the gate outside were both new to me. Hopefully whatever they're doing to the plaza will be cool. It's a total mess right now.

I believe a good amount of that collection came from Phil Collins

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, midtown said:

I believe a good amount of that collection came from Phil Collins

That is correct. He's pretty prominently featured in the museum.

Texas Monthly did a long article about him and his collection and decision to donate it to the Alamo a while back. Apparently a couple people ingratiated themselves to him over the years and started selling him all sort of stuff that had pretty questionable provenance. "This is THE original Bowie knife because it was made in Arkansas and Jim Bowie visited that town in Arkansas once", that kind of stuff. So I was taking some of the placards with a grain of salt, but still good for Phil for being interested in that stuff, and donating it for the public to see, and it's all presented in a really nice way.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Thoughts from an out-of-town visitor after a long weekend in SA:

• Dough was fucking delicious. Very nice place.
  • We only had guac/apps/kids meals at Boudro's. It was fine. Nothing special but it works if you're on the Riverwalk.
  • La Panaderia for breakfast is great. There was a line on Saturday and Sunday but it seemed to move OK. It's a little gringo-fied but I can't deny that the pastries were top notch.
  • We had some killer breakfast tacos from Garcia's on Fredericksburg Rd.
  • Acenar was disappointing IMO. Food, service, and atmosphere all subpar.
  • I know there's been some controversy and political wrangling over it, but the Alamo is in much better shape than the last time I visited several years ago. The building they built to house the artifact collection and the gate outside were both new to me. Hopefully whatever they're doing to the plaza will be cool. It's a total mess right now.
  • Downtown SA (Riverwalk, Alamo, etc) is a gem. Sure there's a touristy element, but if you can't enjoy a nighttime cruise or sitting out having a drink while the world walks by, there's something very wrong with you.

Dough is always fire.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

We don't get out very much. Last real date night was to check out Psychedelic Furs at Aztec.  But after the show, my wife and I just sat on a wall near the old Landing and listened to Jazz, talked to people, and had drinks.  Such a great evening and something I told myself we would do more often. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Been talked about on this thread but there were 3 tourists killed in 3 seperate incidents in downtown over the summer. 2 by stray bullets and 1 beaten to death. I feel like that would’ve been huge news in any other city but it’s had no impact here it seems. Fuck downtown. 

On 10/8/2024 at 6:05 PM, NoRagrets said:

Mesquite at the Pearl. Get the Pork Chop. Die knowing you had the best in life. 

Are you talking about Mezquite at the Pearl?  They don’t have pork chops and I can’t find anything called Mesquite?  I got excited because I’m in town this weekend but I can’t figure out what place you’re talking about.

On 10/11/2024 at 6:36 PM, Hook1997 said:

Are you talking about Mezquite at the Pearl?  They don’t have pork chops and I can’t find anything called Mesquite?  I got excited because I’m in town this weekend but I can’t figure out what place you’re talking about.

Damn autocorrect.  Yes, Mezquite. Chuleta Asada. 

IMG_6541.jpeg

• Like 1

@hobbes2702 @hornian @Chico_SA

Not going to longcat multiquote, but god damn! This is why I love this site. I've spent some time out in the medina/bandera/edwards county area, but never with locals. I love that there's a highly regionalized specialty like Parisa. I know what I'm getting the next time I head out that way.

Thank you!

• Hook 'Em 2