2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

Yeah, I don't really see any major moves coming. 

DH is a black hole and Gattis should be DFA'd. That may or may not happen, but if it did, my guess is that he's replaced by Tyler White or someone like that. LF is a problem, but Tucker is almost ready and they probably feel OK about giving Fisher a little more rope. The pen is a mess, and maybe they'll add someone, but I wouldn't count on it for a while. 

We are who we are for now. 

I was all about giving Gattis more than 20 games, but I am fully on board with getting rid of him at this point.

And our situational hitting has been fucking terrible this season. I would have been far more upset about that bullshit obstruction call had we been able to score when it was 1st and 3rd with no outs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

Gattis needs to be gone.

Marwin and Reddick have regressed substantially.

The regression should have been expected. Marwin performed way over his career norms last year. He'd been pretty consistently average-ish over his previous 1500 big league PAs, then hit like an all-star in '17.

Reddick also had his career best offensive season, though not by a ton as Marwin's was. 

Gattis wasn't even good last year. If he is giving you innings as a passable defensive catcher, he's not a bad player; but if he's strictly a DH...he has very little value. 

They have smart people in the FO - they certainly know all of these things. 

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

Start scoring 4-6 a game, as our offensive talent says we should most days, and the bullpen worries are reduced. Not saying they wouldn’t exist, but we’d at least be winning while sorting out relievers. 

Our offensive talent is 3 players deep. Bregman is still too inconsistent to be put into the same category as Altuve, Springer, and Correa. The rest of team are guys that had career years last year or a one season renaissance. Gattis has been useless for 1.25+ seasons now, it appears 2nd half 2016 was just that, the best 60 game stretch of his career. Still can't believe they didn't add any vets to the lineup knowing that Reddick, Marwin, Marisnick, and McCann were all due for regression while Fisher was no guarantee to provide league average offense. Not too mention that White, Davis, and Kemp while hitting the crap out of the ball at AAA, haven't really shown much in the limited ABs they've gotten in the majors. I am interested in Drew Ferguson's AAA season, and Tucker appears to be on a hot streak as well.

Edited by HtownHorn