2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

6 hours ago, Fozzz said:

Whether or not you believe Giles has struggled (i.e., more than just a little worse than last year) is dependent on how much meaning you place on the difference between his ERA and his fielding independent stats.  The strongest argument is that he hasn't been unlucky on contact - as xwOBA shows he's been hit plenty hard this year.  However, people tend to confuse the "expected" statcast stats as being predictive of future performance when they are no more predictive than FIP.  Even when you filter out bad luck/poor defense, pitchers simply don't have much control over what happens to the ball when it's put in play.  It's a marginal skill and ~80% of what separates good pitchers from bad pitchers is the ability to miss bats and limit walks.

95% of this message board was fed up with Giles two months ago. He did nothing extraordinary between then and his latest fuck up that got him sent down. 

What “advanced metric” justifies that? The guy can’t get the job done. End of story. 

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

With your lack of baseball knowledge or insight, I’m surprised you watch at all. You seem more like a Beavis and Butthead type.

I was damn happy with the shutout, who wouldn’t be?  Then ask for one guy to hit the ball out of the infield when we have 1st and 3rd and no outs means no baseball knowledge? Bitch please.

Go back and watch your Fred McGriff instructional videos. 

10 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I do too. The way he carried the load in May and June last year was great.  But I have no baseball knowledge so I’m probably just imagining that shit. 

Nope.. Fiers was a big contributor last season.. and he was the defacto ace in those 2 months. He ate up a lot of innings when the team needed him to do so. 

• Like 1