2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

Very cool. Being the smart ass that I am my favorite part is the dad who tweeted this has "baseball coach" on his twitter bio, his entire  youth team in his header yet doesn't know how to teach his own son the proper way to throw a baseball.  
Well they are Canadians
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, slorch said:

AJ gives them all an extra orange slice after the game today.

Real party happens in November.

This aint the Longhorns.  Let them celebrate. There are new guys on the team that didnt get to experience last year, and a lot of players go their whole career without a division title. Anything can happen in the playoffs. 

28 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

This aint the Longhorns.  Let them celebrate. There are new guys on the team that didnt get to experience last year, and a lot of players go their whole career without a division title. Anything can happen in the playoffs. 

plenty of the guys fresh off a world series win seemed excited to celebrate as well.

I don't see any scenario where the A's beat the red sox but that's just like my opinion man.  Sox hitters will feast on their starting pitching and the A's bullpen arms won't even matter.

*if they even beat the yankees in the WC game...their magic season may come crashing down hard

Edited by Tommy Nobis

4 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

None
Hint: Manaea ain’t walking through that door and throwing a no-hitter in October...

Yeah, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Davis and Chapman beat up the Green Monster either. Give the Sox the clear edge in SP, but the A's have a far superior bullpen. When things get tight in the playoffs, bullpens matter...and not sure how confident I would be in David Price to be honest. * Do really like Cora though.

Edited by IDIOTsavant

Yeah, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Davis and Chapman beat up the Green Monster either. Give the Sox the clear edge in SP, but the A's have a far superior bullpen. When things get tight in the playoffs, bullpens matter...and not sure how confident I would be in David Price to be honest. * Do really like Cora though.

Bullpens are vastly overrated imho in the playoffs. ESPECIALLY if you are asking 2 or 3 key guys to give you 2-3 appearances in a short series. Major league hitters, especially on an offense like Boston, are going to chew up and spit out guys like Treinin, Familia, Rodney if they are seeing them for a 2nd or 3rd time in games 4 and/or 5.

i think cleveland a few years ago got everyone thinking that "bullpen games" can win you playoff series.  obviously they almost won the world series doing that shit, but i don't think it's the answer (unless maybe you have a bunch of andrew miller's and they're pitching lights out).

we saw it last year with the dodgers - when you are relying on the same 3-4 guys to come in and essentially be perfect every single night, eventually that will catch up with you, especially when you have advanced statistical analysis and hitters learning more every night.  playoffs are a small sample, so sure, it's possible.  but in the end, aj managed by feel, and the last 8 games of the playoffs largely came down to us bringing in a starter as a reliever who could give us 4+ innings because they were throwing well.

i think there's also something to be said for playing meaningful games in september.  the astros were, the indians weren't.  we'll see.  the a's were, and the red sox weren't.  we'll see.  the a's especially have been playing game 7 of the world series (or a 1 game playoff, if you prefer that metaphor), for over a month now.  the idea that anyone on the sox staff (not named sale) is going to shut down those bats is pretty laughable.  and sale has shown plenty of vulnerability in the postseason, so there's that.

if the a's can somehow beat the yankees, then it's anyone's guess.  but sale better find it if they're gonna take that series.  boston's bats have been pretty quiet lately, but nobody's really talking about it.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i think cleveland a few years ago got everyone thinking that "bullpen games" can win you playoff series.  obviously they almost won the world series doing that shit, but i don't think it's the answer (unless maybe you have a bunch of andrew miller's and they're pitching lights out).

we saw it last year with the dodgers - when you are relying on the same 3-4 guys to come in and essentially be perfect every single night, eventually that will catch up with you, especially when you have advanced statistical analysis and hitters learning more every night.  playoffs are a small sample, so sure, it's possible.  but in the end, aj managed by feel, and the last 8 games of the playoffs largely came down to us bringing in a starter as a reliever who could give us 4+ innings because they were throwing well.

i think there's also something to be said for playing meaningful games in september.  the astros were, the indians weren't.  we'll see.  the a's were, and the red sox weren't.  we'll see.  the a's especially have been playing game 7 of the world series (or a 1 game playoff, if you prefer that metaphor), for over a month now.  the idea that anyone on the sox staff (not named sale) is going to shut down those bats is pretty laughable.  and sale has shown plenty of vulnerability in the postseason, so there's that.

if the a's can somehow beat the yankees, then it's anyone's guess.  but sale better find it if they're gonna take that series.  boston's bats have been pretty quiet lately, but nobody's really talking about it.

I want to believe, because the only team I hate more than the Red Sox is the Yankees, and I find Oakland's team pretty darn likeable, especially since they have a pair of lovable losers that used to play for us in Fiers and Lowrie.

But honestly, I just think Oakland's better than both of them and should win based on that.

More importantly, does any NL team have a prayer?

2 hours ago, Tommy Nobis said:

I don't see any scenario where the A's beat the red sox but that's just like my opinion man.  Sox hitters will feast on their starting pitching and the A's bullpen arms won't even matter.

*if they even beat the yankees in the WC game...their magic season may come crashing down hard

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor !

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

To be honest, I feel the same way when Hinch would pull a strong starter after 6, have Devinski or Peacock or Harris or whoever throw a solid 7th, then automatically go to the next man for the 8th and the closer for the 9th. I get that guys have roles...but when you burn through several guys who are pitching well to get to the 8th/9th, you're basically asking those last couple stoppers to be virtually infallible. I know that's what closers are supposed to be, but it's always seemed dicey to burn through the bullpen and bet everything on a good (if not totally clean) 9th for the save. Sometimes things just don't go like that, and bingo...you're out of good arms.