Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

12 hours ago, nnm said:

Coming soon to College Station,

🎵Reveille take the wheel🎵 

reminds me of one of my all-time favorite videos.

it’s better with the sopranos theme but I couldn’t find that one. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Well it WAS a crosswalk, but she was come from a blind behind the truck.  You think she would've have wanted to check first.

WAS is the optimal word here. Side note, bruin, the grammar, wtf? Were you talk-texting on my son’s phone?
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Well it WAS a crosswalk, but she was come from a blind behind the truck.  You think she would've have wanted to check first.

I get so nervous when I stop at crosswalks for kids for this very reason.  Sure, I stopped, but that doesn't mean the guy on the other side will.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

I get so nervous when I stop at crosswalks for kids for this very reason.  Sure, I stopped, but that doesn't mean the guy on the other side will.

My BIL is a retired attorney, and his retirement gig is to be a crossing guard at the local elementary. He’s got some stories. Kids are great, if empty-brained. Drivers are idiots and/or assholes. 

2 hours ago, nnm said:

My BIL is a retired attorney, and his retirement gig is to be a crossing guard at the local elementary. He’s got some stories. Kids are great, if empty-brained. Drivers are idiots and/or assholes. 

So at my daughters' elementary school, there's a somewhat major road that has CoA crossing guards.  But there's two 'intra-parking lot' crossings where all the car dropoffs and busses go through.  So once a week to give the teachers a break, we go and do crossings plus open and shut car doors for the younger ones so they can get out faster and we can move the line.  And, no Lobo hyperbole, about 50% of the parents---as soon as I shut that door or turn my stop to slow and wave them thru...the parent starts fucking around on their phone.  In a parking lot, at peak volume time, with hundreds of kids around.  And there's a half-dozen signs that say 'school zone, cell phone use prohibited.'  I know everybody is super important and has lots to look at on their phones in the morning, but it's just insane to me.  Just in the two years I've been doing it, we've had so many close calls.

I mean we all came up at schools where the parents were holding a cig in the left hand, styrofoam coffee in the right, shifting a manual, and steering with their knees.  But at least somebody in their department was watching the road.  These folks just immediately start driving, staring down, rumbling a 6,000 Suburban or F-250 through a parking lot full of kids.  /rant  

• Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

Doesn't really matter who was in the right or wrong there. The reality is that car beats person, every time. 

In the Navy it is figuratively called the law of gross tonnage.   While almost all vessels comply, in the end it does not matter who has right of way per the "Rules of the Road".

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ABSR said:

In the Navy it is figuratively called the law of gross tonnage.   While almost all vessels comply, in the end it does not matter who has right of way per the "Rules of the Road".

Man, I hadn't thought about that term in decades.  My father was mainly a Comms. NCO, but did some navigational work when they had to hustle their destroyer group down to Cuba in '62 from the North Atlantic and learned a buncha shit along the way.  He had a knack for it anyway.  

Years later (obviously), he's got me for the weekend and we're at Chicago Ridge Mall.  And it's one dipshit driver after another and he's fuming.  But he tries to turn into a learning lesson for me and explains that term and yielding and right-of-way and how egress/regress work.  So we go inside the mall for whatever and same bullshit happens after that.  And he just gives up and says, "Fuck it.  Just assume every driver is trying to kill you.  If they don't, it's a a pleasant surprise."  /csb 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, miguelito said:

I always look both ways before crossing a 1-way street.  It's habit, plus, you never know. 

I failed to do that directly in front of the New Scotland Yard building 6 years ago and nearly got hit by a passing motorcycle zipping down the wrong way (at least it was the wrong way for tourist me).

1076$$IMG_4114.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat

On 6/2/2024 at 10:44 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

Lots of dangerous nature shit has some rhyme to help you remember. For sea snakes, "Red touches yellow; kill a fellow."

Time for Surly to contribute to human survival.

"If there is a flair in the ear, for you life you should fear."

"If his face looks scary, put it in reverse Terry."

"Don't be the Dumbo agitator or get a tusk in your radiator." 

Go.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I failed to do that directly in front of the New Scotland Yard building 6 years ago and nearly got hit by a passing motorcycle zipping down the wrong way (at least it was the wrong way for tourist me).

1076$$IMG_4114.jpeg

Okay, so you literally worked both the "Jack the Ripper" case for Scotland Yard and "the Servant Girl Annihilator."  You are immortal, aren't you?  

2 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Army Brat or Lestat?

He has gone by many names over the centuries.  He even claims to be a retired gentleman of leisure living in Austin, TX suburb.  But the "Lioncourt" banner hanging in his garage gives him away to the perceptive.  

On 6/3/2024 at 5:10 PM, Longboard Horn said:

My wife nearly did that crossing the street earlier. Intersection in Mexico with no traffic or street lights. She crossed one direction onto the island and was about to run across before I yelled at her to stop because traffic in the other direction wasn’t slowing down.

Her being hit would have been bad enough, but my son was with her as well. Crazy woman. 

The shooter should absolutely be heading to jail. That was ridiculous. That being said, the neighbor had ample opportunity to see that the other guy had a gun and should have just left well enough alone. Stupid is as stupid does.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Superhero said:

My wife nearly did that crossing the street earlier. Intersection in Mexico with no traffic or street lights. She crossed one direction onto the island and was about to run across before I yelled at her to stop because traffic in the other direction wasn’t slowing down.

Her being hit would have been bad enough, but my son was with her as well. Crazy woman. 

Except in this video it appears to me that there are traffic lights, and the driver had a green light.  Lady running across the street was trying to do so with what I assume was a red light for pedestrians.  The fact there there is no one else in the intersection would point to that as well.  FAFO indeed.