Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

Black bear, brown bear, it don’t make a shit. 

BOTH are delicious. 

Easy, RFK Jr.  That's the worm in your brain talking . . 

Family infected with brain worm disease after eating black bear meat, CDC reports

Story by Mike Snider, USA TODAY

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/family-infected-with-brain-worm-disease-after-eating-black-bear-meat-cdc-reports/ar-BB1n2Wk3

Spoiler

ix relatives got infected with brain worms after eating black bear meat one of the family members had harvested, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

A group of nine extended family members gathered in May 2022 in South Dakota and ate grilled kabobs of vegetables and black bear meat, harvested by one of the family members in northern Saskatchewan, Canada in May 2022, the CDC says in a report published May 23 in the agency's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

After a few ate some of the meat, they noticed it was undercooked, so they cooked the meat some more, according to the report, written by CDC and state health officials.

Six days later, one of the family members, a 29-year-old man, was hospitalized with symptoms including fever, severe muscle aches and pains, swelling around the eyes, and eosinophils (high count of white blood cells that support the immune system).

During a second hospitalization, health care providers learned about the bear meat consumption and treated him with albendazole, which is used to treat trichinellosis, a disease caused by an infection of microscopic and parasitic roundworms.

The bear meat had been frozen and, while freezing kills many some Trichinella worms, others are freeze-resistant. When people ingest infected meat, larvae can evolve and produce more parasites.

Worms can make their way through the body to the heart and brain, which can lead to inflammation of the heart muscle and brain. There they can form cysts and potentially cause seizures.

After the Minnesota Department of Health began an investigation, researchers learned that the outbreak involved a total of six from the gathering who were infected – four who ate the meat and two who ate just vegetables. They ranged in age from 12 to 62 and resided in Minnesota, Arizona and South Dakota, according to the report.

Among those who were sickened, two more were hospitalized and also treated with albendazole, the CDC said.

Black bears are likely carriers of roundworms. As many as 24% of black bears in Canada and Alaska may be infected, the CDC says. The bear meat in this case was tested and found to have Trichinella nativa, a freeze-resistant type of roundworm.

Still, reported cases of trichinellosis are rare, with the CDC logging only seven outbreaks from January 2016 to December 2022, with 35 probable and confirmed cases, the agency said. Bear meat was the confirmed or suspected source of infection in the majority of those outbreaks, the CDC said.

Bear meat should be cooked to an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees to kill the parasites. Since infected meat can cross-contaminate other foods, the raw meat should be kept and prepared separately, the agency said.

Brain worms have been in the news recently after a report in The New York Times that years ago doctors had found a dead worm in the brain of Independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Look, there’s a reason that the guidance for bear attacks is fight a black bear but play dead for a brown bear. Black bears are much smaller and much less aggressive. 

I am ignorant of the scale of getting your ass kicked by a bear, but I choose D, none of the above. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, nnm said:

Looks like a snuff film, but isn't.  Darwin is sad that she only suffered minor injuries.

theres no way thats not a cracked watermelon with pasta spilling out

7 minutes ago, freyguy said:

I've seen one of those animals do the same thing when I was a kid out at Criders back in the late 80s.  It also tore thru the dividing fence they would put up to close off half the arena.

Headed to Crider's in a couple of weeks, so this hits close to home.

• Hook 'Em 1

I refuse to eat octopus because they're intelligent aliens on this planet, and also to not take a chance on it being full of semen.

But yeah, I'm not kidding when I say I refuse to eat octopus because they're so  intelligent.

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, Superhero said:

I refuse to eat octopus because they're intelligent aliens on this planet, and also to not take a chance on it being full of semen.

But yeah, I'm not kidding when I say I refuse to eat octopus because they're so  intelligent.

Got caught didn’t they?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I think the bull just got sick of hearing that song.

I love that right as the lyrics "Where at least I know I'm free...", that's when the bull starts plotting its escape.  This fucking simulation.  Now complete with semen-filled octopus, or 8 toed member of Congress filled with semen. Either way.  We're workshopping it just as soon as the one stoner at the Oregon Jesus Rodeo comes down from his high and realizes, "Man, I was so fucking high around all these hicks.  I thought I saw a bull jump the fence and tear up the food court.  I couldn't get a funnel cake or nuthin'." 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, freyguy said:

I've seen one of those animals do the same thing when I was a kid out at Criders back in the late 80s.  It also tore thru the dividing fence they would put up to close off half the arena.

Spent lots of Saturday nights on that slab after the rodeo back in the mid early '90s. Those camp counselor girls were always down for running some boots across the sanded concrete. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/5/2024 at 5:28 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

Look, there’s a reason that the guidance for bear attacks is fight a black bear but play dead for a brown bear. Black bears are much smaller and much less aggressive. 

This is sort of incorrect.  While black bears are more timid and easier to scare away, if they do engage you they will maul you to death.  You can play dead with a brown bear and there is a good chance they stop attacking you.  If being mauled by a black bear you fight for your life because they aren't stopping until they rip you open.  Black bears are actually more dangerous than grizzlies.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Superhero said:

But they’re so tasty!

1 hour ago, mooseoutfront said:

This is sort of incorrect.  While black bears are more timid and easier to scare away, if they do engage you they will maul you to death.  You can play dead with a brown bear and there is a good chance they stop attacking you.  If being mauled by a black bear you fight for your life because they aren't stopping until they rip you open.  Black bears are actually more dangerous than grizzlies.

I was with you until the last sentence.

I think it goes

Polar

Grizzly

The rest of yall bears.

Fight me.