Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Nope, never.

IMG_3729.jpeg

Pretty sure that's Alex Honnold on his 'free solo' climb up Yosemite's Half Dome.  If you don't follow climbing, 'free solo' means no ropes at all.  It boggles the mind what some humans are capable of.    There's a documentary about his Half Dome climb that is very uncomfortable to watch. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, RPM said:

Back in '91 I was working for Duininck Bros at their Bridgeport asphalt plant. It was inside the TXI quarry and we got water from them. One day we got low and the Plant Superintendent drove over to the spraybar control room to switch on our pump. The control room was a concrete blockhouse next to the truck spraybar full of mud and wet muck. Even though he was standing on a rubber mat when he flipped the 440V breaker it reached out and touched him. I saw him after he drove back. He was just sitting in his truck kind of stunned. When he unzipped his jacket and shirt, his chest hair was burned. Lucky mofo.

I’ve done retarded stuff around hot 120v and got shocked and grazed 240 once. It never occurred to me I got lucky. I thought it was the opposite. 

I saw a guy at a washers tournament with no arms and he had burn scars over most of his body.  He had mechanical claws for hands and I'll be damned if he wasn't really good at washers.  I found out what happened to him - he was powerwashing a building near an electrical relay station and either backed into a hot transformer or made contact with the sprayer.  Either way, it fucked him way up.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'd bet most of us have at least one instance of having done something incredibly stupid... and survived basically by accident and against all odds.

And not even noticing it at the time, certainly not to the point of stopping to buy a lottery ticket because obviously Lady Luck was on our side at that exact moment.

Edited by Tex Long

11 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Of course we all have. It’s called the “teen years”.

It’s all fun and games until you find yourself crawling out of a car through the window and have to conjure up a plausible explanation for why it is upside down.

IMG_0081.jpeg.be07fffe30b74ea0f98874993c519a17.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

It’s all fun and games until you find yourself crawling out of a car through the window and have to conjure up a plausible explanation for why it is upside down.

IMG_0081.jpeg.be07fffe30b74ea0f98874993c519a17.jpeg

If you've actually done that, you know that you don't need that explanation anytime soon. Well, at least so long as you can get clear of the driver's seat before witnesses show up.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

If you've actually done that, you know that you don't need that explanation anytime soon. Well, at least so long as you can get clear of the driver's seat before witnesses show up.

There was a witness who stopped to render aid/make sure we were alive. She backed up my story that we were being chased by a carful of people with guns.  There was another car who I was racing, but they had no guns.  She bought what I was selling, and ended up being my advocate with both the cops and my parents.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

There was a witness who stopped to render aid/make sure we were alive. She backed up my story that we were being chased by a carful of people with guns.  There was another car who I was racing, but they had no guns.  She bought what I was selling, and ended up being my advocate with both the cops and my parents.  

Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! I knew it was a bad idea to let that hitchhiker drive. I shoulda grabbed the wheel while he was opening that bottle of Jack Daniels... Where'd he go? Let me at him!

• Haha 1

I had a damned trainee that I just kicked off the truck a day or two ago leave his 1911 under the sleeper mattress. I swear that's the truth Canadian Customs Agent Lady!

Spoiler

Narrator: It didn't work.

Edited by RPM
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

42 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Username checks out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I worked on water systems in the oil field for a couple of years, and those wasps/mud dobbers would get into the motor starters. One time one shorted to the box ground completely, so the entire metal box was hot. I popped it open with my plastic screwdriver and while motioning to probe from the contactor to the common to check voltage I noticed a small arc jumped from the BOX to my negative probe. That was a close one.

I am not an electrician

Edited by GringoSalado
ou sucks

6 hours ago, 52-80 said:

this doesnt even look real

without exaggeration, if the wall was laid down horizontally on the gruond, i dont think i could have done this faster

Can't see the video but I know what you're talking about and it's impossible for my brain to accept that they aren't being pulled up by the belay line.

13 minutes ago, BearMace said:

Can't see the video but I know what you're talking about and it's impossible for my brain to accept that they aren't being pulled up by the belay line.

Even in the slow-mo my brain cant process the physics, especially the part where her legs are springing from the miniature wall-holds. 

Non geoblocked video for others:

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Even in the slow-mo my brain cant process the physics, especially the part where her legs are springing from the miniature wall-holds. 

Saw a vid of a dude doing that climb the other day and he went sub-five seconds. It was insane.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

The holds are actually pretty large by rock climbing standards.

13 hours ago, Parliament said:

Right?!  Super easy.

Yes. They are. Just about every tall wall rock gym in the world has a speed wall. Go examine the holds if you get  chance.

It's the speed that is difficult to come by.

On 8/8/2024 at 2:25 AM, 52-80 said:

dk metcalf, also not a real human being

edit: apparently the video is juiced

Yeah, ain't no way.

BUT, those guys at the NFL combine can get some air. 

I get about 5" on a good day. 4" if you ask my wife.

Edited by Superhero

13 hours ago, Superhero said:

Yeah, ain't no way.

BUT, those guys at the NFL combine can get some air. 

I get about 5" on a good day. 4" if you ask my wife.

You should measure from the pubic bone...and never ask your wife.

• Hook 'Em 1