Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

On 8/16/2024 at 9:26 AM, Dennis Taylor said:

Natural Selection wins again 

If they think they regret it now, wait until they turn 40.

4 hours ago, futureman said:

question for boat people: how does this happen? 

Looks almost like whatever is attached to the line created a sea anchor and pulled the stern low enough for the boat to start taking on water. Escalation ensued.

4 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Forgetting the plug. 

I did that once at Walsh Landing on Lake Austin 60 years ago. 
Launched my 15’ Glasspar runabout, left my gf holding the line at the dock while I parked my car & trailer up in the lot. 
When walking back down the driveway, I noticed the boat was low in the stern and gf had a bewildered look on her face. 
Of course I had forgotten to insert the drain plug. 
We bailed enough out so it could start and get underway slowly, then fast enough to pull the plug for it all to drain out at speed. 
Near thing, but we still had a fun time out skiing.

[Surly rules - pic of gf] 

IMG_4478.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I did that once at Walsh Landing on Lake Austin 60 years ago. 
Launched my 15’ Glasspar runabout, left my gf holding the line at the dock while I parked my car & trailer up in the lot. 
When walking back down the driveway, I noticed the boat was low in the stern and gf had a bewildered look on her face. 
Of course I had forgotten to insert the drain plug. 
We bailed enough out so it could start and get underway slowly, then fast enough to pull the plug for it all to drain out at speed. 
Near thing, but we still had a fun time out skiing.

[Surly rules - pic of gf] 

IMG_4478.jpeg

What’s that on her left hand? Looks like you had a pre-Mrs. Brat engagement. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I had a 24' Baretta with a 140 Merc inboard. After getting it out of the boat shop for the 100th time or so I launched it, tied up to the dock and went to park the truck. Same as Brat I noticed it was sitting low in the stern. I had no idea where the plug was because it was supposed to be in. I grabbed a koozie, cut out a hunk and shoved it in. Then I ran back to the truck, loaded the boat and drained it on the ramp. Found the plug laying under the engine.

• Rage+1 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

16 hours ago, huge said:

@justhookit can elaborate, but you can back down on a fish in choppy seas and possibly have something similar.

True but just filling the cockpit isn’t going to cause a boat like that to sink. Heck we’ve done it numerous times and just did again last week. A boat capsizing like that is almost always a series of failures and that boat sure went down quick. From the moment the video started they already knew they were sinking - you see the life raft tossed down. I’m sure there is more to that story and the boat was taking on water from somewhere in the hull.

last week -

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

True but just filling the cockpit isn’t going to cause a boat like that to sink. Heck we’ve done it numerous times and just did again last week. A boat capsizing like that is almost always a series of failures and that boat sure went down quick. From the moment the video started they already knew they were sinking - you see the life raft tossed down. I’m sure there is more to that story and the boat was taking on water from somewhere in the hull.

last week -

Nice boat. When do I get invited out?

13 hours ago, justhookit said:

Marina Pez Vela on the Pacific side. The town is called Quepos, but most people refer to this area as Manuel Antonio.

We frequent Santa Teresa on Puntarena peninsula.  Had a great day fishing in March.  I've considered buying down there and spending at least half my time there.  That's much less likely now with one grandNNM in Co. and another on the way in Houston.  

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

I have solved it! CLUTCH MY PEARLS

make a law that says taking over an intersection is illegal   (Already on the Books)

make a law that says recklessly driving a vehicle  is illegal  (Already on the Books)

make a law that says people cant just run into the street     (Already on the Books)

make a law that says if you seriously injure a pedestrian while recklessly driving you are responsible  (Already on the Books)

I give up

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I have solved it! CLUTCH MY PEARLS

make a law that says taking over an intersection is illegal   (Already on the Books)

make a law that says recklessly driving a vehicle  is illegal  (Already on the Books)

make a law that says people cant just run into the street     (Already on the Books)

make a law that says if you seriously injure a pedestrian while recklessly driving you are responsible  (Already on the Books)

I give up

I didn't see a request for a new law there.  As you point out, it sounds more like a request to make a new law than one to enforce what we have?  

17 hours ago, futureman said:

is the boat for charter fishing or just your personal enjoyment?

Just for fun and tournaments.

3 hours ago, nnm said:

We frequent Santa Teresa on Puntarena peninsula.  Had a great day fishing in March.  I've considered buying down there and spending at least half my time there.  That's much less likely now with one grandNNM in Co. and another on the way in Houston.  

I haven’t spent much time up there but I know a lot of people who really like it. Down here my marina is building condos and I recently bought one. When it is finished the plan is about 8-9 months a year here. The last few years I’ve averaged about 6 months here so not much difference. I just love this country (and the fishing).

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

I'm sorry - help me out here.

2020 Olympics. Got the yips on the vault and then walked away from the whole shebang for her mental health. Anyone that questions that is mean and horrible. 

• Hook 'Em 2