Alice in Chains

Biff Tannen

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, LonghornGoodfella said:

What a fucking show! My ears are still ringing. I heard all the songs i wanted to hear highlighted by Angry Chair, Down in a Hole, Rooster, and Would. That ACL venue was great sounding for AIC. 

I saw them last year at Moody, and yeah, my ears were still ringing the next morning.  I hadn't really followed AIC post-Lane Staley and didn't know what to expect, but their lead signer rocked and his voice was similar to Staley's but unique enough where it didn't sound like some karaoke stand in. 

Yep, great show.  We Die Young was an unexpected surprise.  Did they play anything off of the self titled album?  Closing with Rooster was rad.  Everyone screaming those words was amazing.

Also, Got Me Wrong. I love that song, but it's kind of awkwardly structured though isn't it?  I feel like the harmonies and words always get a little mangled.

Edited by Biff Tannen

9 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yep, great show.  We Die Young was an unexpected surprise.  Did they play anything off of the self titled album?  Closing with Rooster was rad.  Everyone screaming those words was amazing.

Also, Got Me Wrong. I love that song, but it's kind of awkwardly structured though isn't it?  I feel like the harmonies and words always get a little mangled.

Yes they played Again early on. 

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Ah that's right.  Thanks.  Killer show.  I would have loved more off of Jar of Flies, but No Excuses was great.  Rotten Apple or I Stay Away would have killed.

Yep and throw in Rain When I Die and Frogs. I was jamming their Unplugged album today. Layne was the motherfucking man! 

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Just saw that yesterday was Layne’s birthday. RIP.

On another note, I recently realized that Jerry plays a phantom solo that is super low in the mix during the outro chorus to Man in the Box. I can hear it pretty distinctly, but only when played through decent speakers or headphones. It doesn’t show up in guitar iso tracks and none of the on-line tabs or YouTube instructional videos account for it. But it’s there and it gives the outro chorus more depth than the earlier choruses. 

Or maybe I’m hallucinating. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Just saw that yesterday was Layne’s birthday. RIP.

On another note, I recently realized that Jerry plays a phantom solo that is super low in the mix during the outro chorus to Man in the Box. I can hear it pretty distinctly, but only when played through decent speakers or headphones. It doesn’t show up in guitar iso tracks and none of the on-line tabs or YouTube instructional videos account for it. But it’s there and it gives the outro chorus more depth than the earlier choruses. 

Or maybe I’m hallucinating. 

Haven't given that one a listen in a while, but that rings a bell.  I was thinking about Jerry's solos the other day actually.  So smooth.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, stc said:

AIC with Layne is one I really wish I could've seen. Have seen them several times since his death and it's still really good but just not the same. 

Same.  I never got to see Pantera either.  Or Nirvana.  Or STP.  I did get to see Soundgarden three times before Chris died, so a win there.

never saw nirvana but i did see all the others. stp at bronco bowl in 2000 is one of my favorites. weiland was a great frontman when he wasn't drugged out of his mind...and probably sometimes when he was. love that he had a running feud with andy langer, because fuck andy langer. 

On 8/23/2024 at 12:43 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Same.  I never got to see Pantera either.  Or Nirvana.  Or STP.  I did get to see Soundgarden three times before Chris died, so a win there.

Old man csb time: these bands were in my concert attendance heyday and i knew the owner of the security company that worked several venues so i often got in free and was side stage or in the barricade many times.

Saw Nirvana twice and it was often too out of control honestly. But when they played seriously it was awesome although Novoselic was kinda annoying. Saw STP before they hit big playing to a couple hundred people maybe. They set up and tore down their gear themselves but it was obvious they'd be big. Saw them again at Verizon right after Scott got out of jail and they were fucking unbelievable. Back to back nights if I recall correctly.  

Saw AIC twice with Layne which were amazing and a couple so far with William. I like him and he does a great job. 

Saw the real Pantera 3x. Very intense to say the least. Soundgarden 4x last one was 2013 and it was prime Chris in my opinion.  Effortlessly controlled the room.  Twenty-five song setlist 

Those were the days. Too old to put up with GA standing 3 hours and crowds very often nowadays 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

for some reason the cd warehouse by my house when i was growing up had tons of AIC bootlegs. i listened to this one a LOT. it was actually what got me into david bowie. bunch of demos and live tracks. 

r/grunge - Does anybody know what this is (Alice in Chains - Heroin)?