Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

12 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

She still wants him to go first. How does that work anyway?

Q: Judge, do you deny the allegations that you believe Ms. Ford is about to make about you?

A: ???, um...

Why not have Kavanaugh first and last? 

He can get his story out first then call her a liar after she tells her story.

win-win

I agree.

You have an issue with the judge -- come tell us what the issue is - and you should have told us a long fucking time ago because unless you were under a rock, you should have known we had hearings on this judge.

Oh, I apologize, you issue is a sexual assault that has caused you emotional trauma?  I apologize and sorry I said "fucking".

I realize that this will be hard for you.  The committee is willing to hear you next Monday?   A week from now.

Oh, Monday is no good?  Wednesday then.  You can do this in private setting or in a public hearing.  You'll go first, and then we will follow up with the Judge and then we can determine what next steps are.  I'm sorry we can't accommodate you in any other way.  We have to consider the court and the judge and the American people who demand that we do our job.

• Like 1

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Why not have Kavanaugh first and last? 

He can get his story out first then call her a liar after she tells her story. 

win-win

Because it's bullshit.  The accuser (prosecution) goes first and then the defendant defends himself.

I don't want Kavanaugh confirmed but fuck this nonsense.  Rape victims, discrimination victims, all sorts of plaintiffs have to buck up and state their case or else they have to go pound sand.

You say the judge attempted to rape you? I, too, want to make sure we’re not putting an attempted rapist on the SCOTUS. Thursday, you go second is fine. Whatever is necessary for arguably one of the most important postings in our country’s history.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Lurch said:

You say the judge attempted to rape you? I, too, want to make sure we’re not putting an attempted rapist on the SCOTUS. Thursday, you go second is fine. Whatever is necessary for arguably one of the most important postings in our country’s history.

And this is the approach the GOP should have.

Dr. Ford 60 Minutes Sunday Primetime if the GOP doesn’t play ball here.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Crusher said:

Breaking just now from Bret Baier on Fox: Grassley says if the Committee does not here from Ford on offer to testify on Wednesday by 10 pm tonight then vote goes forward on Monday.

well, first it was 5pm. i imagine, all of a sudden, the republicans are going for the friday news dump by giving her the 10pm deadline. at that point, nobody will give a shit, it's even two hours into west coast happy hour, and a football weekend. fairly savvy move by the Rs, as evil as they are on this particular issue.

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

And this is the approach the GOP should have.

Dr. Ford 60 Minutes Sunday Primetime if the GOP doesn’t play ball here.

but then, yes, this is her trump card. if she shows up talking to anderson cooper on 60 minutes, crying, credible, and fragile from a lifetime of trauma caused by this assault, even if the Rs push this cat through, it's over for them from november. you thought women would break against Rs because trump before now? the woman vote is going to castrate the R party nationwide.

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

well, first it was 5pm. i imagine, all of a sudden, the republicans are going for the friday news dump by giving her the 10pm deadline. at that point, nobody will give a shit, it's even two hours into west coast happy hour, and a football weekend. fairly savvy move by the Rs, as evil as they are on this particular issue.

They know they've already lost.

5 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Accused testifying first is medieval.  

The request makes me feel she, or her handlers, want to set conditions so ridiculous no one could agree.

Exactly this. They want it to look like the mean old white men Republicans squashed this woman's right to speak before the committee to provide cover for a rapist. Without actual testimony under oath they can then roll her out on every news show between now the midterms and beat the shit out of the R's with her tears. Fucking brilliant strategy if you ask me. Scumbagesque, but brilliant.

• Like 1

Bottom line: if her allegations are true, she has the winning hand.  I think the Republicans know this.

The Republicans have a pair of 2s but keep pushing their chips in the pot knowing she has a full house.

There is no way this ends well for them.  The only thing they can do is minimize the damage.

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Bottom line: if her allegations are true, she has the winning hand.  I think the Republicans know this.

The Republicans have a pair of 2s but keep pushing their chips in the pot knowing she has a full house.

There is no way this ends well for them.  The only thing they can do is minimize the damage.

The smartest thing to do would be to withdraw the nomination.

Edited by David Dennison

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

The FBI only needed 3 fucking days to handle Anita Hill.

If Kavanaugh was 100% innocent, they could have had this open, investigated and closed by now and vote next week.

Yes, and due to this to this day absolutely no one believes Thomas was guilty of anything.   (Obvious, well obvious for anywhere but here, sarcasm font)

9 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

My take is that if Clinton has/had credible accusations brought against him, then they should be investigated thoroughly, same as BK.  Time spent on said investigations will vary dependent on each case. 

I don't doubt that Dems rallied around Clinton at the time.  I was a paid subscriber to the Conservative Chronicle and daily listener of Limbaugh during all that.  It was at the forefront of the sexual abuse outtings.  Up until then we had had the gossip about Marilyn Monroe and the Kenedy bros, Gary Hart and a few other cases that were put forward as infidelity trysts or mistresses.  The concept of someone forcing a woman was pretty foreign to a lot of the public.  Surely it was going on, but it wasn't talked about as openly as now.

I won't win this argument with some of you, but it seems we should have learned from Clinton and those accusations.  But the GOP apparently hasn't.  They are not taking Dr. Ford's claim seriously, which you would think they would considering what we supposedly learned through the Clinton years.  I think you are trying to make the point that if the shoe were on the other foot, if the SCOTUS nominee were liberal, the Dems would be reacting the exact same way as the Rs are now.   You base this on the continued support of HRC, who you feel was an enabler of her husband in his assault cases.   I can see that argument. 

But first I don't think the Dems would try to float someone as sketchy as BK, and secondly, if they did, I think a fair amount of us would not support that nominee more than we support BK.

It is impossible to take anyone who demands the accused testify first seriously.  This is like a baseball manager demanding the other team swing the bat first before the pitcher throws the ball.  You can't defend yourself from accusations before the accuser gives the details of the accusations.   I'm going to claim you did something horrible.  Now defend yourself.  When you are done I will tell you what you did.

7 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Politically, the worst move for the Republicans is to confirm someone with public, credible allegations of sexual assault.  I don't think the hearings will alter any votes in the Senate, but if her claims seem legit during testimony, it will absolutely carryover into November.  It is astonishing how short-sighted Republican leadership is being with this.

They will worry about that when a credible allegation comes forward.  There is a difference between credible allegation and any allegation though.  The only people who don't see through this sham are people who don't want to.  And if Kavanaugh gets rejected or withdraws don't come crying to me when Trump nominates someone ten times more anti-Roe vs. Wade than Kavanaugh is.   Because we know Trump doesn't hold grudges and does not have one vindictive bone in his body.  Republicans will still have control in the Senate after the midterms and they will jam the next nominee down the Democrats throat.

22 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The smartest thing to do would be to withdraw the nomination.

Yeah, but they need to do it gracefully.  The best way to do that is to have Kavanaugh withdraw in a letter that goes something like:

”While I categorically deny the allegations against me and after consulting with my wife and daughters who have been devastated by the recent developments, I have decided to withdraw my nomination to the Supreme Court.”

By having Kavanaugh pull the trigger, it absolves the Republicans any responsibility from this fiasco. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

Just now, EMAWesome said:

They will worry about that when a credible allegation comes forward.  There is a difference between credible allegation and any allegation though.  The only people who don't see through this sham are people who don't want to.  And if Kavanaugh gets rejected or withdraws don't come crying to me when Trump nominates someone ten times more anti-Roe vs. Wade than Kavanaugh is.   Because we know Trump doesn't hold grudges and does not have one vindictive bone in his body.  Republicans will still have control in the Senate after the midterms and they will jam the next nominee down the Democrats throat.

You aren't going to like what happens when Democrats control the White House and the Senate.

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

At this point it looks like delay tactics to prevent him from serving the SCOTUS session that is about to initiate.  I mean, come on. Afraid of flying? 

I have no idea what her intentions are.

The Democrats are trying to take back both houses of Congress.

Edited by David Dennison

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

At this point it looks like delay tactics to prevent him from serving the SCOTUS session that is about to initiate.  I mean, come on. Afraid of flying? 

The Republicans are the ones playing games.  They should give her every accommodation she’s asking for.  Nothing she has requested is unreasonable.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, David Dennison said:

I have no idea what her intentions are.

The Democrats are trying to take back both houses of Congress.

The democrats will take the House, the Senate is very much in play. Which is why they want to delay and the GOP wants to push this through.  This is really very simple. There are lots of people trying to make it much more complex than it really is. 

54 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

but then, yes, this is her trump card. if she shows up talking to anderson cooper on 60 minutes, crying, credible, and fragile from a lifetime of trauma caused by this assault, even if the Rs push this cat through, it's over for them from november. you thought women would break against Rs because trump before now? the woman vote is going to castrate the R party nationwide.

• Like 1

Just now, Anastasis said:

The democrats will take the House, the Senate is very much in play. Which is why they want to delay and the GOP wants to push this through.  This is really very simple. There are lots of people trying to make it much more complex than it really is. 

It's very simple.

And then there's the next horse race.

And the next one.

And the next one.

Ahhhh, politics.

55 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Should have posted this with the CNN video because the video echoes the point.  Everyone assuming that women will automatically support the woman in this case forgets that women have husbands, sons, fathers, brothers, etc.   If you think they would support a woman who has made such an obvious bullshit accusation as this against those husbands, sons, fathers, and brothers you could not be more wrong.  Do you think Kavanaugh's wife and daughters are going to support Ford in this?

• Fuck You 2

14 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

It is impossible to take anyone who demands the accused testify first seriously.  This is like a baseball manager demanding the other team swing the bat first before the pitcher throws the ball.  You can't defend yourself from accusations before the accuser gives the details of the accusations.   I'm going to claim you did something horrible.  Now defend yourself.  When you are done I will tell you what you did.

What gets me is that Grassley gave in to the condition that no Senators would be able to question Ford and that the independent council had to be woman. Have we now conceded that any man cannot be a fair arbitrator of justice in any case of sexual abuse where a woman is the victim? Will male judges have to recuse themselves in sexual assault cases? No male attorneys for the male accused in rape cases? 

Just now, EMAWesome said:

Should have posted this with the CNN video because the video echoes the point.  Everyone assuming that women will automatically support the woman in this case forgets that women have husbands, sons, fathers, brothers, etc.   If you think they would support a woman who has made such an obvious bullshit accusation as this against those husbands, sons, fathers, and brothers you could not be more wrong.  Do you think Kavanaugh's wife and daughters are going to support Ford in this?

No one thinks partisan Republican women will support his accuser.