Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

40 minutes ago, Jack said:

No man in their right mind would pursue a relationship with a woman who believed Ford's testimony.  It was clearly garbage from the get go.

The only way you can say such a thing with such fake confidence is if you 100% wanted to believe Kavanaugh in the first place.

This whole deal with Ford and the other women had 0 effect on me because there were well over 1,000 reasons that he had no business being a SCOTUS justice that were well established before anyone knew who the fuck this woman was, but please stop pretending like what you're posting with all of this chickenshit bluster is anything other than a circular argument routing back to an assumed conclusion.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

The only way you can say such a thing with such fake confidence is if you 100% wanted to believe Kavanaugh in the first place.

This whole deal with Ford and the other women had 0 effect on me because there were well over 1,000 reasons that he had no business being a SCOTUS justice that were well established before anyone knew who the fuck this woman was, but please stop pretending like what you're posting with all of this chickenshit bluster is anything other than a circular argument routing back to an assumed conclusion.

what they said

Somewhere in this War and Peace length thread someone asked me to prove that the protesters were being paid.   This doesn't necessarily prove payment but it does prove that Soros funds a lot of the organizations behind them and that these are not just homegrown mom and pop protesters.  I'm using this link instead of the original WSJ story due to lack of a pay wall here.

https://johnib.wordpress.com/2018/10/08/george-soross-march-on-washington/

Washington

Some 200 protesters march across the lawn of the U.S. Capitol to the foot of the south wing. Inside, the U.S. Senate is wrapping up its debate, hours before the Saturday afternoon vote to confirm Justice Brett Kavanaugh. Members of the crowd rush up the steps, unfurl professionally printed banners, stand defiantly, and pump their fists in the air.

“Whose house?” they shout.

“Our house!” they answer.

By the time of the vote, they’ve moved across the street to the Supreme Court building. After getting word of the vote, again they rush the steps. Two women climb the statues flanking the steps—“Contemplation of Justice” and “Authority of Law”—for more fist-pumps.

On the steps, Bob Bland, a co-founder of the Women’s March, silently sends a thumbs-up signal to another leader, later boasting: “We took the Supreme Court.” On Friday the Women’s March had tweeted out a photo of Sen. Susan Collins, who cast the deciding vote for Justice Kavanaugh, with “Rape Apologist” written across her image.

In a series of tweets and rally comments, President Trump described the crowd as “an angry left-wing mob” of “professional protesters who are handed expensive signs” and “paid for by [George] Soros and others.” Mr. Trump’s detractors accused him of engaging in conspiracy theories, and even of anti-Semitism against Mr. Soros, a billionaire donor to liberal causes. Yet he has a point. Many Americans genuinely oppose Mr. Trump and Justice Kavanaugh. I am a liberal feminist whose views on abortion and same-sex marriage align with the Democratic Party’s. Yet while most demonstrators are not paid for their efforts, the protests at the Capitol Saturday, and the ones that have included stalking lawmakers inside and outside their offices, are organized by groups of which Mr. Soros is an important patron.

I started following the money for the “resistance” when it was born, hours after Election Day 2016. I have organized my findings in a spreadsheet I have made public. At least 50 of the largest organizations that participated as “partners” in the Jan. 21, 2017, Women’s March had received grants from Mr. Soros’s Open Society Foundations or similar funds in the “House of Soros,” as his philanthropic empire was once called internally. The number of Soros-backed partners has grown to at least 80. At least 20 of the largest groups that led the Saturday anti-Kavanaugh protests have been Open Society grantees.

On Saturday I also studied the fine print on the signs as protesters waved them defiantly at the Capitol and the high court. They came from a familiar list of Democratic interest groups that have received millions from Mr. Soros: the American Civil Liberties Union, the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, Planned Parenthood, NARAL Pro-Choice America, the Center for Popular Democracy, Human Rights Campaign and on and on. MoveOn.org, a Democratic organizing and lobbying group founded with Soros money, sent its army of partisan followers regular missives that led them to a Google form to ask for train tickets and places to stay.

Under a ginkgo tree on the East Lawn of the Capitol, Center for Popular Democracy field marshals put protesters through a “training” Saturday morning. “Are you ready to be arrested?” she asks. “Yes!” the crowd shouts, although one woman asks quietly: “For what?”

“If not,” the field marshal orders, “stand in line for the visitor’s gallery so an experienced protester can go inside and yell.” One organizer hands out tickets to the Senate visitors gallery for the express purpose of violating the law. That they did—the proceedings were repeatedly interrupted by shrieks from the gallery.

The agitators even have help with their handmade signs. Across the street from the Supreme Court, a woman uses supplies provided by UltraViolet Action to write, in Spanish: “No more rapists in power.”

Back on the Capitol lawn, people from Megaphone Strategies, a public-relations firm founded by former Obama adviser Van Jones, manage interview requests from USA Today and other news outlets. Women’s March lieutenants exchange T-shirts for completed “Legal Support Sheets” with information in case of arrest.

Suddenly everyone stands to walk in unison to the Capitol steps. When they arrive, the few Capitol Police officers on the scene silently watch them. The protesters walk up the stairs—though they don’t “storm” them, as the leaders have claimed. There are no barricades, no phalanx of armed police.

Rethink Media created a “social media strategy sheet” back in August for anti-Kavanaugh protesters. One talking point: “Kavanaugh was hand-picked by dark money groups and their billionaire backers.” Rethink Media is itself a Soros grantee, and Saturday’s protests and unlawful disruptions were part of a well-funded, orchestrated network that books buses, hotel rooms and churches for such agitation.

MoveOn.org wrote a guide, “How to Bird Dog”—harass officials in public places—in the spring of 2017, in preparation for town-hall meetings during a congressional recess. Over the past year, I have dialed in to MoveOn.org’s Sunday evening phone calls where they plan the operations and tell their “troublemakers” how to corner lawmakers. I still get alerts for their planning sessions. The last ones have been to #stopKavanaugh.

MoveOn.org announced that its call the night after Justice Kavanaugh’s confirmation would feature Ana Maria Archila, the Colombia-born sexual-assault victim who cornered Sen. Jeff Flake in a Senate elevator last month while a confederate screamed “Look at me!” She is co-executive director of the Center for Popular Democracy. Her salary was listed as $156,333, with a bonus of $21,378, in a recent Internal Revenue Service 990 form.

What I have pieced together is an open secret but one that journalists tend to avoid. Many (including me) sympathize with the liberal causes Open Society champions. Some have been paid Open Society Fellows or grantees. And many are put off by conservative anti-Soros rhetoric, which gets truculent at times.

Mr. Soros, much like the Koch brothers, funds causes he cares about. There’s nothing wrong with that, but democracy is better served if we follow the money on the right and left and find solutions where they are likeliest to lie: in the middle.

• Fuck You 2

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

How do you reconcile this with the Republicans refusal to even consider Merrick Garland WITHOUT any negative story line?

You cannot be serious.  You can't say "oh sure, there was some he said she said but it all came back to bite the accusers" in the bright light of a complete and total political power play.  That shit just doesn't fly.

The Republicans were just playing by the rules Joe Biden wrote when he was in the Senate in 1988.

4 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Somewhere in this War and Peace length thread someone asked me to prove that the protesters were being paid.   This doesn't necessarily prove payment but it does prove that Soros funds a lot of the organizations behind them and that these are not just homegrown mom and pop protesters.  I'm using this link instead of the original WSJ story due to lack of a pay wall here.

There were some who admittedly were paid.  I saw a commentator from Vice News on Meet the Press admit as much.  But the payment wasn't to create protesters who otherwise wouldn't have been there.  Instead they were helping them organize and be as effective as possible.  I don't agree with the concept but it's not like they were trying to hide it.

Some of the dog whistle shit you guys post is beyond the pale.

3 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

The Republicans were just playing by the rules Joe Biden wrote when he was in the Senate in 1988.

Well, that's just fantastically wrong, even for you.

1.  there is no Biden "rule".

2.  there was a Biden speech -- in 1992, not 1988.

3.  there was no Supreme Court vacancy to fill

4.  Biden merely advocated that, in the event a vacancy occurred, the POTUS should wait until after the ELECTION (not the next POTUS) to nominate a replacement

You're really going to have to see if you might be able to get into a better school than K-State, because so far your entire time spent in this place has been nothing but swing-and-a-miss.

5 hours ago, David Dennison said:

You're wrong. It was not a policy to separate children from parents at the border. No matter how many times you say it.

If it didn't happen then how did a photograph taken in 2014 end up on the cover of Time magazine six months ago?

6 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

If it didn't happen then how did a photograph taken in 2014 end up on the cover of Time magazine six months ago?

That pic was not after a separation at the border. That was a kid who showed up alone or was separated after the parent was adjudicated. Still unacceptable.

Edited by David Dennison

4 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Because McConnell is still in charge of the Senate and as long as he is, the report isn't coming out.

McConnell has nothing to do with it.  The rules were changed on these reports by the Senate in 2009 to not make these reports public.(want to take a guess who had control of the Senate then?).  The justification was so that stuff that was frivolous to the process but still potentially embarrassing enough for retribution should the subject know exactly who said it would remain unknown to the public. For example say a nominee's neighbor made a claim in the report that the nominee liked to go out in his backyard in the fall and rake leaves while wearing a Barbie ballerina costume.  Doesn't really matter in the nomination process but still embarrassing enough that the nominee might decide to spray his neighbor's backyard full of industrial strength Roundup out of spite.

I get it.  I used to think this way too.  It is tiring hearing about helping others when you are just trying to help to and yours.  It makes sense.  But you you know why your plan went up $300 a month?  It isn't cause your family is using more health care, it's because others are not insured and you have to pay for it.  You really want to look out for you and yours?  Then you need to make sure there is a safety net for others, even if you don't give a shit about others.  You need to support this for purely selfish reasons.
I am a doctor. Had a conference with a family just last week who wanted me to help their  sick family member with a procedure.  My hands are tied since the patient is under-insured and hospital won't allow it.   I have to wait till the patient gets really sick so we can do it as an emergent, life saving procedure at significantly greater cost.  But the family can't pay...so guess who will.  That is why your insurance will go up another $300 this year.  
And the tax break is nice.  Believe me... I have enjoyed it.  But it's not  free money.  It's like being excited that your wife bought a new 85" TV and a new car, but charged it all on your credit card.  Maybe you don't care cause you'll be dead, but your 3 sweet kids will care.
So enjoy.  You got yours and you don't give a shit about others.  You are young and will never get in an accident or get sick and lose your job/insurance.  Congratulations.
Arent you a fuckin doctor like you say? Wtf cant you help them without getting paid? Same thing you tell me is okay, work all week to pay for someone elses healthcare. And thats my problem with liberals. Tax break isnt “free money”. No shit, its my money. I have to earn it first for the govt to come get it. Its my money the govt takes. Not money the govt is giving me. Jesus, is it that hard to figure out.

1 minute ago, EMAWesome said:

McConnell has nothing to do with it.  The rules were changed on these reports by the Senate in 2009 to not make these reports public.(want to take a guess who had control of the Senate then?).  The justification was so that stuff that was frivolous to the process but still potentially embarrassing enough for retribution should the subject know exactly who said it would remain unknown to the public. For example say a nominee's neighbor made a claim in the report that the nominee liked to go out in his backyard in the fall and rake leaves while wearing a Barbie ballerina costume.  Doesn't really matter in the nomination process but still embarrassing enough that the nominee might decide to spray his neighbor's backyard full of industrial strength Roundup out of spite.

It's at his discretion.

3 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

No, it's not.  It's a Senate rule if it is to be changed the entire Senate must vote on it. How do you think it got changed in 2009?

So now that you've marched your way around most of the circle, why not just go ahead and finish.  

If it were going to come out, who would have to lead the charge on changing the rule?  

33 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Those Soros paid protesters should have just taken the organic approach of the pro-Kavanaugh crowd. Wake up, grab an old t-shirt out of the closet, make a poster with your kid's arts and crafts supplies, fire up the ol' family bus and go let your voice be heard. 

Dnj1DNGVsAAXOR3.jpg

Edited by Lagunamadre
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:
3 hours ago, Horn Dog said:
I get it.  I used to think this way too.  It is tiring hearing about helping others when you are just trying to help to and yours.  It makes sense.  But you you know why your plan went up $300 a month?  It isn't cause your family is using more health care, it's because others are not insured and you have to pay for it.  You really want to look out for you and yours?  Then you need to make sure there is a safety net for others, even if you don't give a shit about others.  You need to support this for purely selfish reasons.
I am a doctor. Had a conference with a family just last week who wanted me to help their  sick family member with a procedure.  My hands are tied since the patient is under-insured and hospital won't allow it.   I have to wait till the patient gets really sick so we can do it as an emergent, life saving procedure at significantly greater cost.  But the family can't pay...so guess who will.  That is why your insurance will go up another $300 this year.  
And the tax break is nice.  Believe me... I have enjoyed it.  But it's not  free money.  It's like being excited that your wife bought a new 85" TV and a new car, but charged it all on your credit card.  Maybe you don't care cause you'll be dead, but your 3 sweet kids will care.
So enjoy.  You got yours and you don't give a shit about others.  You are young and will never get in an accident or get sick and lose your job/insurance.  Congratulations.

Read more  

Arent you a fuckin doctor like you say? Wtf cant you help them without getting paid? Same thing you tell me is okay, work all week to pay for someone elses healthcare. And thats my problem with liberals. Tax break isnt “free money”. No shit, its my money. I have to earn it first for the govt to come get it. Its my money the govt takes. Not money the govt is giving me. Jesus, is it that hard to figure out.

You think that I have the power to force the hospital administration to let me use their OR time for free?  You think the nurses, OR staff, scrub nurses, anesthesiologists, recovery staff, ICU staff, transport staff, lab techs, etc are all under my employment and command?  You really really have no idea how this works.

Yea, its your money.  Its also your debt.  Pay it.

16 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:
3 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

Read more  

we have a real political philosopher here...and we are watching him break new ground.  if only rawls, habermas, marx, etc... would have had the benefit of your insight.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2018/06/27/for-the-record-supreme-court-nominees-considered-in-election-years/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3b62218c68d5

I've been resisting posting here (a lot of you need to move on), but here is an even handed review of the so-called Biden Rule.  No, it's not a rule, but both parties have played fast and loose with the practice and what they would do if they were the majority party in a presidential election year in which the other party controlled the White House.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

You think that I have the power to force the hospital administration to let me use their OR time for free?  You think the nurses, OR staff, scrub nurses, anesthesiologists, recovery staff, ICU staff, transport staff, lab techs, etc are all under my employment and command?  You really really have no idea how this works.

Dude, why not just show up at their house with your black medical bag? Do the procedure, and maybe they'll give you a chicken or something as payment. You know, the way it used to work back in the day. Nothing stopping you from doing that, is there? 

Spoiler

Sorry for the sarcasm. Couldn't resist.

44 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

If only it were like on TV.  My nurses are all 50+ with the looks and personality of Sarge Marge.  The only hot ones are the drug reps and medical device reps that would take me put to lunch but the gotdam libs clamped down on that years ago.

No I have no idea how you can just let your patient suffer and/or die or whatever.
Your hands are tied right? So I guess its okay.
But you could always man up and not accept the trump tax cut and pay extra. Or send it my way you know to help out your fellow americans.

1 hour ago, EMAWesome said:

Snopes says they were paid but not profit for the protesting.  the pay was to pay the fines they were going to get for breaking the rules/law.  It was a Soros organization paying them.  But the org reps claim that the money was from donations, not Soros himself.  So there is truth in there but not as clear cut as it might seem from either direction if you ask me.

For instance I doubt all of the people from the Soros organization were working the event on their own time as volunteers or paid only by donations.  (that's not how this works.gif)

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/paid-protesters-kavanaugh-hearings/

31 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

If only it were like on TV.  My nurses are all 50+ with the looks and personality of Sarge Marge.  The only hot ones are the drug reps and medical device reps that would take me put to lunch but the gotdam libs clamped down on that years ago.

I assume "take me out to lunch" is a euphemism. 

25 minutes ago, Satchel said:

What is the GOP's health care plan it promised to provide more than eight years ago?

The tax cut killed the individual mandate.  I bought a non ACA policy to cover my family.  I got a PPO that almost every provider takes. And all our current doctors.

No one in my family has any health issues.  Premium is $600 a month.  Deductible is $4k.   Pays 100 percent of costs once you meet deductible up to $3 million. 

My ACA plan was $1800 a month.  PPO.  Deductible of $14k.  Insurance pays 80 percent once you make the deductible.  I was responsible for 20 percent as coinsurance.  

Trump killing the mandate has saved me at least $15k a year.  And more if something bad happens.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The tax cut killed the individual mandate.  I bought a non ACA policy to cover my family.  I got a PPO that almost every provider takes. And all our current doctors.

No one in my family has any health issues.  Premium is $600 a month.  Deductible is $4k.   Pays 100 percent of costs once you meet deductible up to $3 million. 

My ACA plan was $1800 a month.  PPO.  Deductible of $14k.  Insurance pays 80 percent once you make the deductible.  I was responsible for 20 percent as coinsurance.  

Trump killing the mandate has saved me at least $15k a year.  And more if something bad happens.  

Should I ask the question differently?  Where is the GOP's promised plan? 

20 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

You didn't have to buy an ACA plan before the tax cut.

48 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

No I have no idea how you can just let your patient suffer and/or die or whatever.
Your hands are tied right? So I guess its okay.
But you could always man up and not accept the trump tax cut and pay extra. Or send it my way you know to help out your fellow americans.

Like you conservs always preach, I gotta let my disabled and terminal patients pull themselves up by their bootstraps so they don’t become welfare queens.

In all seriousness, 50% of my work is charity so I do what I can.

Your offer to send you cash is so tempting, but that would be so libtard  elitist o me.  But I’ll tell you what I will do.  I like supporting people trying to make a difference and standing up for what they believe in.  You say you have family members that serve or run for office?  Link their web site and I will donate a couple bills in the name of Surlyhorns and post it up here

• Like 1

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/10/brett-kavanaugh-poll-majority-oppose-most-unpopular-supreme-court-justice.html

Poll : Majority of Americans Say Kavanugh Shouldn't Be on the Supreme Court.

I think this what drives some of us a bit crazy. The GOP gives zero fucks. Why should they worry? They have the system primed in their favor. A Blue Wave in 2018?! Give me a break.

Oh yeah, the Democrats will gain the majority of overall votes this Fall, but the GOP will retain the House and Senate.

Edited by yoladu
  • Haha 1