Trivial things that please the ever living shit out of you

Tailleur17

On 5/21/2024 at 9:03 PM, Armybrat said:

I was not aware of this beautiful landscape feature on 21st  across from Littlefield Fountain.

Few people remember that a city electric utility worker, Roy Schmidt, was shot to death August 1st, 1966 by Charles Whitman just a few steps away from this spot. 
I was crouching behind a car about a half block to the left.

IMG_3117.jpeg

I had graduated that spring and was off to grad school, but a close friend was there. He was in the barber shop near the Coop, sitting in a chair getting a shave. They heard the popping sounds and were wondering WTF was going on, when a passer-by took a round, right in front of their windows, killed dead. He told me there was likely never anyone in the history of the world with a straight razor on his throat who got out of the seat and behind a barber's chair in less time than he did.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Too bad it was 5:45 by the time you actually got a gate and deplaned, and 7:15 by the time you had your luggage and rental car and actually got on the road.

Surprisingly, no.  Got to a gate and deplaned around 4:35, was on the road with my rental car by 5:15 and at my hotel by 6

the subject of MC Escher came up a few weeks ago on a family vacation, and I remembered I had a big book of his work that my aunt had given me, when I was a kid.  when we got back, I took it out for my kids to look at.  of course, they just left it lying around, so when I went to put it back, I flipped it open to a random page and found these.

image.thumb.jpeg.d8da832d78ebcdd6e0517532ffc8af84.jpeg

I must have stashed them in the book to protect them when I moved out to go to school.   they don't hand out shit like this at gas stations anymore.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Superhero said:

Google "chicxulub crater".

A meteorite will shoot across the screen, and the screen will shake.

Are there any other Google easter eggs like this?

Here’s what AI says:

Here are some Google Easter eggs:
  • Do a barrel roll: Type "do a barrel roll" into the search bar to make the screen do a 360-degree turn. 
  • Askew: Search for "askew" to see search results that are slightly crooked, but still function normally. 
  • Dinosaur game: Play the endless runner game that was originally created for people without internet. 
  • Fidget spinner: Search for "spinner" to see a digital spinner that you can spin. 
  • Calculator: Search for "the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything" in lowercase to see the calculator answer with the number 42. 
  • BTS: Type "bts( see it )" to see a purple heart with a microphone inside it. Click on it to make purple and heart-shaped balloons fly, and then click on a heart-shaped balloon to see a message from a BTS member. 
  • Blink html: Type "blink html" to make all bold text blink.
  • Like 1

The city from which I retired last year has everyone working a summer flex schedule of four 10 hour days per week this summer.  The exception is holidays.  Weeks with holidays are four 8 hour days and a 8 hour holiday.  So this year everyone is getting screwed out of a four day weekend AND the supervisors still have to figure out how to cover 24/7/365 operations with split schedules.  Glad that's not me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Posted (edited)

Having the perfect onion on your cheeseburger.  Not sweet, not too mild, and not too hot.  It just fits in with the mustard and pickles to bring the perfect spice to the whole burger.  Sublime.

Edited by Scheiss Meister
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1
  • Drool 1

9 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Having the perfect onion on your cheeseburger.  Not sweet, not too mild, and not too hot.  It just fits in with the mustard and pickles to bring the perfect spice to the whole burger.  Sublime.

So true.

I love the combination of cheese, pickles, onion and mustard.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

You are wrong.  Onions are the devil's weed and should be wiped from the face of the earth.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, nnm said:

You are wrong.  Onions are the devil's weed and should be wiped from the face of the earth.  

What are your feelings about lettuce?  Kale?  Carmelized onions are definitely a value add compared to most greens.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

Do they like green chili sauce?

star-wars-han-solo.gif

New Mexicans are particular about their green chile the way that Texans are about brisket and chili. 

Edited by nnm
  • Haha 2

Teenage kids that write a simple thank you note. I don't need the world for giving a $50 or $100 graduation gift card to the kid a couple houses down who I randomly see, just a small acknowledgement of appreciation. Pleasantly surprised to get a couple notes in the mail this year, so there's hope. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2024 at 2:07 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It's pretty amazing what you can do by yourself with a chain, a couple of 2x4s, and a 4 ton hi-lift jack, even if you are old as shit.

image.thumb.png.24d69d3439f9e38849c1f9e5288935ff.png

A piece of chain and hi-lift jack can get a lot of work done once you learn the tricks. 

It's pretty amazing what you can do by yourself with a chain, a couple of 2x4s, and a 4 ton hi-lift jack, even if you are old as shit.

7048fe21-534c-4944-b72c-391241ef5b7a_tex

On 7/3/2024 at 3:22 PM, Wally Pryor said:

Teenage kids that write a simple thank you note. I don't need the world for giving a $50 or $100 graduation gift card to the kid a couple houses down who I randomly see, just a small acknowledgement of appreciation. Pleasantly surprised to get a couple notes in the mail this year, so there's hope. 

Reminds me, right after covid, there is an area near me that has like a small park surrounded by restaurants with patios. This was shortly after stuff started opening, so a friend of mine, my 7 year old son, and I went to a pub, but still sat outside. I think we went to watch some sporting event and took the kid because he needed to be away from his sister and mom for a bit.

These rowdyish kids (around 16 years old) came by on their skateboards, kinda being dicks, like most boys that age, but nothing horrible. My 7 year old looks at one kid's skateboard (who seemed like the leader of the bunch) and said "Man, cool skateboard." Half expected the kid to same something sarcastic. But he looks over at my son and says "Yeah, you wanna try it?" And for like 20 minutes they let play on their skateboards.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

On 7/7/2024 at 8:07 AM, Bevo&Pevo said:

A piece of chain and hi-lift jack can get a lot of work done once you learn the tricks. 

Tell me more. I had a chain snap a couple of weeks ago and it whipped me across the shin. Nothing was broken, but holy fuck I bled like a stuck pig. Stump is still there.

6 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

2b3965e7-e85f-419b-ac35-29dc8436d8df_tex

Fuck the tailgater in this case.

Left lane cruiser can DIAF

Yep.  Left lane is for passing only, even if you're not on the highway.  In this case, I was speeding in the right lane, he could've passed me on the left lane but wanted to get closer.   Left him in less than a second and then slowed down to see if he can catch up.

54 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Which in California is one mile away or at my work.  How about just not tailgating someone?

I get the tailgating thing. I agree with you. 

My point is that I have about a 700-mile range on my F-150, 500 when towing something. When the tank is empty it takes about 8 minutes to fill up. 

Your Tesla is great for close-in driving. But not for the wide-open spaces and heavy use in most of the western US. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, nnm said:

I get the tailgating thing. I agree with you. 

My point is that I have about a 700-mile range on my F-150, 500 when towing something. When the tank is empty it takes about 8 minutes to fill up. 

Your Tesla is great for close-in driving. But not for the wide-open spaces and heavy use in most of the western US. 

California has the best infrastructure for ev cars.  Tesla has the #1 and #2 selling models in this state.  

if I cared about time it takes to rejuice my vehicle I wouldn’t be driving a Tesla.  

anyways, use the left lane for passing

Edited by closetohumping

33 minutes ago, Superhero said:

My mom and daughter making dumplings for dinner.

My parents come once a year from Taiwan, and it's precious time for me and the kids to spend with them. My dad is 83 and in good health, but you never know when they might get sick, so every minute making dumplings, going for walks, playing board games is cherished.

image.png.2ae892cd52fb3d34b672c4797d04f466.png

That is awesome.  My mother passed away last year.  I treasure the moments that she spent with my kids doing similar activities.  Of course, in my family, they were making tortillas and enchiladas instead of dumpling.

<insert Franco same same but different gif here>

• Like 4

On 7/17/2024 at 8:35 AM, Native Horn said:

That is supremely badass, Superhero.  Also, yer mom has some amazing melons.

I'll let her know someone from the internet is checking out her melons. I'll let you know if she's flattered.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Superhero said:

I'll let her know someone from the internet is checking out her melons. I'll let you know if she's flattered.

If I’ve learned anything in my five and a half decades in this planet, it is that I do not want to piss off an Asian woman. 

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Mom telling me I raised my kids right 

Better yet, your adult children tell you thank you for how you raised them. Both of mine have done that, and one of the best things I've ever heard. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

On 7/16/2024 at 3:23 PM, Superhero said:

My mom and daughter making dumplings for dinner.

My parents come once a year from Taiwan, and it's precious time for me and the kids to spend with them. My dad is 83 and in good health, but you never know when they might get sick, so every minute making dumplings, going for walks, playing board games is cherished.

image.png.2ae892cd52fb3d34b672c4797d04f466.png

Philosophical question for you, sir:

If you were to invite me over to your next dumpling event, would I be frowned upon for eating the entire lot?

Keep in mind that, if I did so, that'd just mean more quality time for your daughter and her Grams since they'd undoubtedly have to whip up another batch.

I'll hang up and listen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1