Bride Tries to Charge 1500 a Head to Attend Her Wedding

G650

3 hours ago, CHIEF said:

I have a buddy from my home town of 219 people that lives in Circle C. He went to Texas State, where he met his first wife. She happened to be the daughter of the guy who had just sold his telecommunication/internet providing company for $200 million, it would become Grande Communication a few months later. That was easily the most insane wedding I have ever been to. The reception was in the basement of the Omni, or one of the other big hotels downtown. They had an open bar with high end liquor, a surf and turf dinner for about 500 people, small wedding gifts for each of the guests. Father of the groom said the bride's family had spent easily a million on the wedding. I bet the centerpieces for each of the 50 or so tables cost $150k. All that expense, and they were divorced in about five years.

CHIEF

Went to Neal "Buddy" Jones daughter's wedding in Austin.  Reception was at Moody Theater.  Probably 600-700 guests.  Ice room with ice mugs to drink beer, full bar with Maker's being the shelf whiskey, Prime Rib & Lobster among the 8 different entrees available, Groom's cake that took up an entire room and was a model of McLane Stadium ($150k cake from what I was told, flown in that morning from New York).   Had the Baylor spirit band there to play the Baylor fight song. Colt McCoy was one of the honored guests as was RG3.  WHispers were running around at the reception that it cost upwards of $1.6mm for the reception.   

I got drunk and had fun.  

• Hook 'Em 3

the summer between HS and UT, in 1993 I was hired as a lifeguard at the du Pont Country Club in Delaware.  No I didnt know anyone, the literal 'poor pool boy" outsider.

Yes, posh, yes lots of rich folks.  Honestly no Karen's at all (or whatever the fuck we called them 30+ years ago). 

we got paid like $10/hr, 40rs/ week and had a $20 catered lunch stipend everyday from the kitchen, and anything after 6p was free to us as well on our breaks.   That was a really damn good deal

sometime in July we are told there is going to be a really big wedding using the club as the reception. The pool is gonna be closed early that Saturday. But it was literally all hands on deck if you worked for the club at all, valet, waiter, landscaper, lifeguard, you were working this Saturday night till 2am maybe later.

OT was guaranteed as well as an after 10p stipend.

They started setting up on the Monday before.  The pool stayed open that week, but the guests had to take some crazy paths to get there because so many tents were being set up.  At some point I was fucking curious and asked who the fuck was worth all this fuss.

Turned out one of the big a pretty high up du Pont heir's and marrying a high up Carpenter's family heir (former owners of the Phillies).

basically American blue blood royalty wedding.

anyway, Im just a "whatever needs to be brought out, returned, trash running" gopher for this wedding... which ended up being easily 800+ guests, the primary dish that everyone (assuming no allergies) got was a freshly boiled 2+ Lb Maine Lobster. 

The kitchen staff had something like 30 massive outside propane tanks boiling 20 at a time (think big crawfish boils), and another 10 or so icebath coolers where the boiling hot lobsters were dunked for a minute to cool down a tiny bit. and then they were served.

cases of liquor were being gone through,  multiple pallets of the early microbrewed beers like Sam Adams, gone through.

I was one of the last 10 or so folks left at 3am as we are throwing bag after bag of reeking lobster in the dumpsters, when we find that 20+ lobsters were left in the cool down tank and forgetten.  along with half a pallet of Sam Adams and some other beer.   

we divided that shit up like kings,  most people didnt want the lobster, so I brought home 5 lobsters (1 for each of the fam), and 2 cases of Sam and a case of something else.   I hid the Sam in my room, put the lobster in the fridge for my mom to discover it in the morning. and put the other beer case where dad could find it.   good dinner the next day..

anyway point of the story is there is zero fucking chance that wedding reception didnt cost at least $5mil - renting out the pool (that they didnt even use) was  250k - THAT I knew as a guard because we had a private pool party later than summer that I guarded and the dad was bragging about it being a half mil for the whole party with half of that being the pool use for the eve.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

My room-mate and his wife had a really fun wedding. Their reception was the lower floor of a hotel facing a lake. There were over 100 people with enough food for 20, and enough alcohol for 300. The wife's brother ended up dancing on a table with his cowboy hat, boxers and boots. I was hung over AF the next morning and didn't feel stable enough to drive back to Austin until 4PM.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Schneider came to my son’s backyard in South Austin to play for my dying daughter-in-law eleven years ago. 
He does it for quite a few folks who are undergoing similar travails. A wonderful man.
She passed away a month later on the morning of her 39th birthday.

IMG_5770.jpeg

that's amazing. RIP to her. #40dogs is our official hashtag when I used to post more on insta and I've got a necklace that says "fortydogs" in cursive my wife gave to me on my bday. 

IMG_4983.jpeg

love his music. Top 5 all time for sure.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, troph said:

that's amazing. RIP to her. #40dogs is our official hashtag when I used to post more on insta and I've got a necklace that says "fortydogs" in cursive my wife gave to me on my bday. 

IMG_4983.jpeg

Looked at the necklace before I read the post and thought it said Farty Dogs.

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, royiv said:

Looked at the necklace before I read the post and thought it said Farty Dogs.

I've been asked if it says forty days and if I'm religious or sober. That was just once. I’ve had a few simply ask what it says. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Went to Neal "Buddy" Jones daughter's wedding in Austin.  Reception was at Moody Theater.  Probably 600-700 guests.  Ice room with ice mugs to drink beer, full bar with Maker's being the shelf whiskey, Prime Rib & Lobster among the 8 different entrees available, Groom's cake that took up an entire room and was a model of McLane Stadium ($150k cake from what I was told, flown in that morning from New York).   Had the Baylor spirit band there to play the Baylor fight song. Colt McCoy was one of the honored guests as was RG3.  WHispers were running around at the reception that it cost upwards of $1.6mm for the reception.   

I got drunk and had fun.  

This “Buddy” Jones of Baylor rape scandal quotes fame?

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/07/01/emails-former-baylor-regent-powerful-austin-lobbyist-called-female-stu/

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 6/21/2024 at 2:47 PM, troph said:

IMG_4983.jpeg

Cool necklace.  Proud papa moments for me when I discover my 14yo son and 16yo daughter have lots of Bob Schneider on their personal favorites playlists.  We've listened to a lot of it as they've grown up but we listen to a ton of other stuff too and certainly never forced it on them.  They just have awesome taste in music.